Personalized Epiphones

frater106

Reaction score
What have you done to personalize your Epiphone? Mine has locking strap, a graphite nut, Duncan pups, Jimmy Page wiring (Duncan schematic), and a couple of choice stickers. Pics or it didn't happen!
20BBB3B6-0F86-4493-AFDD-88BF728E7E4A.jpeg

TWANG

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a long time in here. This is my old epi studio I got on sale and proceeded to go nuts with.
strap locks. locking tuners. bone nut. GFS 12 pole humbuck-neck, kent armstrong 12 pole humbuck-bridge.Imade the
pickguard, truss rod cover is metal. roller bridge. chinese bigsby. new knobs, pots. caps. two added switches for bucker series, bucker parallel, single coil. it has played like a dream since day one.

Attachments

• IMG_1308.JPG
    IMG_1308.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 60

frater106

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a long time in here. This is my old epi studio I got on sale and proceeded to go nuts with.
strap locks. locking tuners. bone nut. GFS 12 pole humbuck-neck, kent armstrong 12 pole humbuck-bridge.Imade the
pickguard, truss rod cover is metal. roller bridge. chinese bigsby. new knobs, pots. caps. two added switches for bucker series, bucker parallel, single coil. it has played like a dream since day one.
Sick looking pickguard!! How do you like your Bigsby? I've always kind of wanted one, but they're so expensive!

rockstar232007

Reaction score
What did you do to age your Standard?
Used a Scotch-Brite pad to dull the finish/hardware, and a compass (what you use to draw circles) needle to add "checklines". The reason I used the needle is, poly is a lot harder than lacquer, and a razor blade is way too thin to create noticeable lines. I also used one of my wife's emory boards to file down the finish, near the binding to make it more visable.

Didn't turn out too bad, for my first try.

dubster82

Reaction score
@frater106, what's that on your pickup rings?

Here's my first Les Paul, a 1998 Studio Pearl

EMG 'Het Set' pickups
Tonepros locking Bridge and tailpiece
Gibson tophat knobs, pointers, truss rod cover, poker chip and Custom pickguard
Graphtec nut
LTD locking tuners
Schaller Strap Locks

PhotoGrid_1620943827601.jpg

IMG_20210501_111853_344.jpg

Last edited:

dubster82

Reaction score
Back in the day I really liked Kirk Hammett's ESP KH3. Later on I realised there was things I didn't like about it, strat style controls, flat top, narrow headstock and on the production models, rosewood. I wanted the aesthetic of that model, the inlays and graphics, the colour, the metal knobs, the Floyd, EMG's, but with proper Les Paul carved top, horn, controls and an ebony board. Enter the Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall.

PhotoGrid_1630227071163.jpg

Metal knobs, remove the poker chip, swap the passives for actives and some stickers later...

IMG_20210123_151027_317.jpg

I also love James Hetfield's Uncle Milty Iron Cross Les Paul Custom, and figured, if that guitar had actually made production, if they'd done an Epiphone model, what would that of looked like?

IMG_20210718_172908_695.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
Back in the day I really liked Kirk Hammett's ESP KH3. Later on I realised there was things I didn't like about it, strat style controls, flat top, narrow headstock and on the production models, rosewood. I wanted the aesthetic of that model, the inlays and graphics, the colour, the metal knobs, the Floyd, EMG's, but with proper Les Paul carved top, horn, controls and an ebony board. Enter the Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall.

View attachment 557889

Metal knobs, remove the poker chip, swap the passives for actives and some stickers later...

View attachment 557890

I also love James Hetfield's Uncle Milty Iron Cross Les Paul Custom, and figured, if that guitar had actually made production, if they'd done an Epiphone model, what would that of looked like?

View attachment 557891

That iron cross LP is cool man. did you make the cross out of something or is it a sticker? looks real so assume you made it...

ucsteve

Reaction score
I've always liked that one with the face on it man. Interesting for sure....
you have a grocery list of personalizations heh. oh and of course there is this.
and wait till you see what im cooking up now...fugliest one yet

Attachments

• 1-22-21 goldtop w-bigsby too.jpg
    1-22-21 goldtop w-bigsby too.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 21

rbraad68

Reaction score
you have a grocery list of personalizations heh. oh and of course there is this.
and wait till you see what im cooking up now...fugliest one yet

Yeah i do man but mostly just hardware i replaced and things like that. I am working on a all blk LP with blk winters and the gloss nocked off. should be cool...

rbraad68

Reaction score
finished 01.jpg

I have to say one of the coolest guitars i own is this Epi 59 outfit guitar that started life just a few short months ago as a Aged Cherry Burst. I traded a 2007/08 Cream Custom for this guitar. The guy who is also a member here on our forums started this guitar he did the paint work and a nice harness for this thing. When i got the guitar I could of just played the thing they way it was. But there were a few things i thought the guitar needed to make it mine. Just a few tweeks and it would be perfect. The thought of refinishing the guitar was there but it just had that vibe to it and i wasn't going to mess with it...

I wound up putting a complete Faber kit on this thing in the Aged Nickel along with a set of Locking Kluson tuners. I got the kluson's with the hex bolt bushings this time around instead of the push in bushings my other 59 has... All i did to the paint was go over it real good with some steel wool to smooth it out a bit and clean it up. He had a coat of green under the gold so as i knocked some of the gold back in some areas you can see the under coat coming thru which looks cool.. I took the covers off the pups polished the frets oiled the board... This guitar is cool deff one of my favorites and has a cool story behind it. Deff many thanks to luthiervandross for hooking me up with this guitar and doing a sweet arse harness for it !!! I will own this guitar till the my dying day man!!!

Attachments

• finished 04.jpg
    finished 04.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 21
  • done 01.jpg
    done 01.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 26
  • custom wire harness 01.jpg
    custom wire harness 01.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 27
  • kluson upgrade 01.jpg
    kluson upgrade 01.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 21
  • kluson upgrade 03.jpg
    kluson upgrade 03.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
I hate bling, so I deblinged my LP. All gold gone, finish deglossed, amber knobs replaced with top hats with pointers, ugly plastic piece called pickguard throwned into garbage bin, black pup rings instead of white and Tyson Tone PAFs added.

Love it with its 6.8 lbs weight, chambered body and belly cut.

Avant-après.jpg

Back-.jpg

Chambered.jpg

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
WOW they routed the shit out of that thing!! The maple cap goes untop of that so i guess it's still a very stout guitar.. Imagine if that thing wasn't wieght relieffed!! Epiphone made some cool guitars for sure....

frater106

Reaction score
@frater106, what's that on your pickup rings?

Here's my first Les Paul, a 1998 Studio Pearl

EMG 'Het Set' pickups
Tonepros locking Bridge and tailpiece
Gibson tophat knobs, pointers, truss rod cover, poker chip and Custom pickguard
Graphtec nut
LTD locking tuners
Schaller Strap Locks

View attachment 557883

View attachment 557884
You've got a good eye! Those are Seymour Duncan Triple Shot Humbucker Rings. They have two small switches at the top. When both switches are inside, the pickup is in standard humbucker mode. Switch either one out and it turns that coil off. Switch them both out and it runs the coils in parallel rather than series. My volume knobs are push/pull pots, too-neck switches the pickups from series to parallel and the bridge is an out-of-phase switch. It's a Duncan version of the Jimmy Page wiring but using two Triple shots and two push-pulls instead of four push-pulls.

frater106

Reaction score

View attachment 557889

View attachment 557890

View attachment 557891
That Hetfield model is very sharp!!

frater106

Reaction score
I hate bling, so I deblinged my LP. All gold gone, finish deglossed, amber knobs replaced with top hats with pointers, ugly plastic piece called pickguard throwned into garbage bin, black pup rings instead of white and Tyson Tone PAFs added.

Love it with its 6.8 lbs weight, chambered body and belly cut.

I'm not sure I've seen a belly carve on an LP before. It's that an Epiphone? Also, cool weight relief! I hey that reality does something for the resonance of the guitar.

Latest Threads