Personal Stage Monitor

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Reaction score
Not too sure if this is the right sub forum so mods please move if not appropriate.

Anyone use a compact personal stage monitor along with a stage wedge for live shows? Sometime our sound engineer has issues with the stage monitor and my guitar mix in the wedge.

Was thinking of something like this:

https://www.galaxyaudio.com/products/PA6BT

gitmohair

Reaction score
Should work. I've used a cheap active wedge in the past with an SM57 dangled over my amp feeding the wedge. Very cheap, works, and when not required the wedge can function as a low power PA thing, so handy for "outdoor down the village green" type events.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All depends on how loud everything is. If it's a cocktail lounge gig in the corner of the room then yeah....

Reactions: ehb

gitmohair

Reaction score
All depends on how loud everything is. If it's a cocktail lounge gig in the corner of the room then yeah....

He'd hardly need the monitor then, surely? I used a 100w active monitor in addition to the PA foldback for the same reason the OP (I think) needs - to ensure he can hear his guitar irrespective of what the PA guy fancies giving him. It does work.

Tollie

Reaction score
I switched to in ear monitors and I love them. I can control the volume in my ears and I can hear everything I want to. I could never hear my backing vocals until I got in ears so I have been able to improve my vocals. This week my bass player called me the King of Backing Vocals. My ears are not ringing afterward since I control the volume and they also block out sound like earplugs.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK then but my point is 100 solid state watts is very very slim for an electric band.

Reactions: ehb

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You’ll get a lot more mileage out of if you put it on a stand and get it as close to your head as possible.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make the plunge to IEMs. Sooooo much better and you get to control the 'more me' part very easily.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried them about 10 years ago.....never could get use to it....but yea maybe it's time for another try.
They've come so far in just the last five years. Don't skimp...if you get the 2.4GHz Xvive ones you get what you pay for. Get a good transmitter/receiver set and then invest in a good set of ears. You don't need to go the custom molded right away. I have the Westone AM Pro 30s and they are awesome...really give you the full range of sound and the porting allows you to talk on stage without having to pull one out.

The first few times you use them you're going to hate them. You need to give them time. But if your sound engineer has a digital board and you can download the app and mix your own stereo mix on stage I promise you will never go back.

dro

Reaction score
I don't stick shit in my ears. I get it, I do. I ran stage monitors for awhile. Learned to like 15" wedge. Today, Using either JBL PRX715 or 815's.
Ring the room, I don't see a problem.
Then again, I grew up before stage monitors were even a thing.
Gigged in a 9 pc band, a few years without any type of monitor what so ever. Had never seen anything like it.
I first brought in a 100 watt pwr amp. With 2 15" wedges with piezo tweeters. No EQ's.
Whole band was amazed. Hauled that stuff around for a long time.
At one point got a headset mic/earphone for drummer. I think he's still deaf in his left ear.
Give me a live wedge, or I'll bring one with me.
That said, My amps have enough power. everybody on stage can hear em. If not, I'll turn it up for you.
No need to put in the wedge, unless outside, on open stage.

hbucker

Reaction score
I agree with the point about putting it on a stand and within arm's reach. If you don't, it's not worth the trouble, IMO.

I think these are most helpful for a vocalist to hear themselves in medium to small gigs. But I'm sure it could work for a guitarist in the same settings.

Honestly, in small gigs (the kind many weekend warriors play) it could be just the right mix of convenience and function. But for larger stages, PAs and crowds it would start to lose functionality. IMO

Latest Threads