Personal Guitar tuning and Serial number Spreadsheet

dimeified

Reaction score
Hi guys, for a few years now I've been keeping a notepad document of my guitars, I call it the StringManifest.txt file with the tunings and strings I use, but more recently added serial numbers of my instruments, thinking about insurance. Here is an example of mine (I have about 20 instruments but I'm just giving 2 examples for guitars and basses). It helps when I'm recording to know what bass to pick up to match the tuning of a guitar I'm using. It also helps with string changes to make the setups quicker, so I can throw on the same set. It makes ordering new strings easier so I can look the strings pack by name. Does anyone else do this?

-----------
Basses:
-----------

Bass 1:
Serial: xxxxx
Tuning: Drop B
Strings: Ernieball Regular Slinky 2836, .045-.130 leave off the E(.100).

Bass 2:
Serial: xxxxxx
Tuning: D Standard / Drop C
Strings: D'Addario EXL160BT, .050-.120

-----------
Guitars:
-----------

Guitar 1: (dive only, EVH D-Tuna)
Tuning: Eb / Drop Db
Strings: D'Addario EXL140, .010-.052

Guitar 2:
Tuning: F# Standard
Strings: D'Addario EXL125, .009-.046 + .060 +.080

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Do you do meth? That might explain it. (KIDDING! Seriously, I'm kidding. Seriously. I'm just kidding. I'm serious.)
LOL!
Seriously... String gauges? Pretty basic... the Pink Ernie Balls on the Fender scales, the DR Pure Blues on the Gibson scales, and the Chromes on the jazz box.
Most I've ever done tuning wise is having one guitar tuned to open G or DADGAD.
But I can see with 20 guitars in a regular rotation with various tunings, some kind of notebook to keep them straight.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a paper in each guitar case detailing what it is and any mods that have been done. But, it's in the event of my demise so my family has some clue.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
I have 36 guitars right now. I try to play a full rotation of them when jamming/practicing. I keep notes on how many "shred units" I put on a given set of strings/guitar. I keep a hard copy that I scrible on in my music room. I try not to let any of them get too crusty. I also take 8-10 photos of each and catalogue them with serial # and what I ACTUALLY paid and what they are kind of worth ( I've gotten a few really great deals). I am also smoking the pot weeds

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a spread sheet with Retail, Price Paid and Money Saved, along with serial numbers for my guitars, amps and pedals.

I try to change strings when they sound dull, or after 3-4 years, whatever comes first :D

MooCheng

Reaction score
not very organized here, I've never bothered to keep details on any of them apart from throwing the empty string pack in the case so I know what strings are on it. Thats about all and often forget to do that

Though I'm only dealing with 6 or so instruments so its easy to remember whats going on

dimeified

Reaction score
I have a spread sheet with Retail, Price Paid and Money Saved, along with serial numbers for my guitars, amps and pedals.

I try to change strings when they sound dull, or after 3-4 years, whatever comes first :D
I like the retail, price paid, money saved idea. Helps to know in the future.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the retail, price paid, money saved idea. Helps to know in the future.
I like to see how much I saved. I do buy some stuff at retail, some at retail with a discount, and some used. It works out to about 70% of retail overall. If it was all used, it would be a lot lower.

But it's always a HOLY SHIT moment when I see the total :eek:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Aaand.... they'll still sell it for what you told them you paid for it :laugh2:
They might sell them all for $5 each, but it's not like I would be able to do anything about it :rofl:

If I disappear suddenly you guys might want to pay attention to guitar sales in Michigan where my sister lives.

Merkin

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I open the five cases behind the settee to see what is in them.

Then the couple under my bed, the four six in the wardrobe, the two in the corner over there - next to the piano - the one each I have stashed in my kids' bedrooms, the three in the loft and the two in the boot of my car.

By the time I've looked in all of them I forget what I was looking for, usually.

Latest Threads