Permanent Daylight Savings Time in Florida?

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This next weekend might be the last time that Floridians have to put up with the annoying business of adjusting their clocks for Daylight Savings Time. :thumb:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/08/591925587/sunshine-daydream-florida-bill-would-make-daylight-saving-time-year-round

The brainchild of an entymologist and astronomer named George Hudson, DST was first implemented on a nationwide basis by the former German Empire and Austria-Hungary in 1916, ostensibly as a method of saving energy that might otherwise be used within the war industries of those nations at that time.

Since then, a lot of other countries saw that there were many aspects of the program that would likewise benefit them. In the US, it has been an on-again, off-again kind of initiative-- and a royal pain in the ass to those workers who were forced to adjust to it biannually.

Last February, a bill called the "Sunshine Protection Act" that would eliminate the time changes in Florida passed the senate, and the bill is now sitting on our governor's desk. However, the governor's office hasn't said whether the man plans to veto the measure, sign the bill into law, or just ignore it-- in which case it would pass into law without his signature.

Of course, right now the Florida gov'ner has a lot of other things on his mind when it comes to legislation... this particular bill is probably the least of his worries at this moment.

If it goes through, however, Florida will join with Hawaii and select parts of Arizona that likewise have done away with flipping the clocks back and forth.

In general, the closer to the equator an area is, the less difference it makes to begin with. In fact, most equatorial nations have never bothered with Daylight Savings Time at all.

But what's interesting was to read that several New England states-- specifically Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Maine--are currently considering implementing the same measure within their territories.

I'm retired, and so it doesn't make a speck of difference to me what they do with the clocks... but back when I was still gainfully employed, I would have danced for joy had they done away with the clock-changing thing. It was a nuisance.

--R

lucidspoon

Reaction score
As someone who didn't have to change before but do now (Indiana), I prefer changing with the rest of the country. It was always a pain to figure out which timezone we matched up with.

Roxy13

Reaction score
And I'm near the western edge of the eastern zone. So in December is it dark at 4pm in NYC? I know when a friend from there used to come here to visit me the week of July 4th he was amazed it was light here until 10pm, so winter must be really horrible for them.

I know I would come home from work and maybe need to plow the driveway and clean stalls and there just wasn't enough time sometimes before it was dark. Glad there are headlights on the tractor, but still. BTW, my outdoor lighting isn't great, being in the country and having a really long driveway.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I go through so many time zones in my job I don’t even notice it when I’m home. Every time we come back from Asia we turn our clocks forward an hour a day for 8-9 days straight.
DST is kind of an annoyance when I’m home, but not too bad, since I don’t punch a clock on land, and the kids are gonna get up when they feel like it anyway.

Caleb

Reaction score
Isn't this like the one area where Indiana is on the cutting edge of anything? :D

EDIT: Just saw lucidspoon's post. Nevermind.

Last edited:

pnuggett

Reaction score
If it goes through, however, Florida will join with Hawaii and select parts of Arizona that likewise have done away with flipping the clocks back and forth.
Glad we don't change the clocks in AZ. The exception being the Navajo Nation. Indiana changes their time but they have two different time zones in the state.