Perfectionism with my guitar collection drives me crazy

Steven

Reaction score
How does one resolve such issues ? I know intellectually it is impossible to play the guitars and keep them in pristine condition, but I can't get over the concerns about my guitars showing signs of wear. It seems that there is really no resolving such a problem.

Last edited:

John

Reaction score
Well, you won't have to worry about keeping a guitar collection in pristine condition if you don't even have a collection to begin with.

On a more serious note, some wear is inevitable when you actually use and play your guitars. I do what I can to take care of my equipment, but signs of wear, aging, etc are bound to happen over time even through normal usage.

danohat

Reaction score
My Standard was 1300 new in 95. That's 50 dollars per year to look as cool as I do when I am standing in my picture window blowing out the neighborhood. Think of it as investment in personal image. Ha! Play them or what's the point.

Steven

Reaction score
Are you serious or are we supposed to have fun with you?

I've never been more serious. Unforetunately over protection of my cherished possessions is a problem I struggle with. I realize that this is a form of neurosis.

Last edited:

diavolo

Reaction score
I've never been more serious. Unforetunately over protection of my cherished possessions is a problem I struggle with. I realize that this is a form of neurosis.
I'm the same way, I get emotionally attached to things or I want to have more of something I'll likely never use just to have it in case i need it. A back up to a back up or tool for a job i might have to do someday.

With guitars sometimes i ask myself why am I hoarding all this great gear?
Who will get it after me?

Attachment fades over time.
If I'm not enjoying it, whats the point of it just sitting around filling some void thats leftover instinct in our DNA?
Lately I've been thinking about just giving stuff away, rather than feel like the things i own, own me.

Enjoy your gear. Play it while you can :)

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don’t feel bad, I don’t like my guitars to get beat up and I’m very careful not to get scratches on them. I do like light used older guitars that have some wear because then I don’t worry about it.

On my mint guitars specifically don’t wear clothes with buttons when I play and take measures to prevent strap wear and pick marks. See my thread about clear vinyl pickguards.

Steven

Reaction score
Don’t feel bad, I don’t like my guitars to get beat up and I’m very careful not to get scratches on them. I do like light used older guitars that have some wear because then I don’t worry about it.

On my mint guitars specifically don’t wear clothes with buttons when I play and take measures to prevent strap wear and pick marks. See my thread about clear vinyl pickguards.
I'm the exact same way, I won't wear a button down shirt, and I feel most comfortable playing my mint guitars when I'm in my robe....LOL

Phil W

Reaction score
Nearly all of the 58 to 60 bursts are dinged like ship planking and corroded like RMS Titanic but we love them and see the wear as proof of age and experience. Add your own experience to YOUR guitars OR treat them as your personal museum and NEVER EVER play them. Those are your only choices.

I know how you feel though; I have serious gear OCD myself at times but at the end of the day they are INSTRUMENTS ... even Stradivarius violins get played and worn and there are FAR fewer of those than whatever models of guitar you own. Make music ... instruments die if not played.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^^^^mmmm I’m honestly not really that fond of vintage guitars that look like they’ve been though a barn fire. I don’t even think they’d be fun to play. If I had the means I would certainly like to collect them, but I’d been look for the closet kept gems like that classic car that has 567 original miles and looks almost show room condition!

jvin248

Reaction score

Get yourself a real Relic. That will cure your problem.

I used to hate relics and keep guitars as scratch free as possible (like store in the case and only take out to ogle, not play).

But then I did a guitar trade and the other guy threw in this beat up relic that didn't play. It had horrible frets and that was the cause for every owner of that guitar to add more of a relic attempt at it. There were splintery areas, sharp paint chips, 'keyed' areas scrubbed of paint and wood fibers like scratchy fur.

I leveled the frets, fixed the hardware issues, rolled the fretboard edges, fixed the wiring, and sanded the rough patches and the whole guitar to 800 grit satin. It's a relic guitar through and through but now it plays as easy as a custom shop, sounds great, all functions are durable, and it feels like broken in jeans fresh out of the dryer. I realized when first playing that guitar that I was buying the wrong guitars and that I didn't need to hate relics.

Relics are all about the easy playing, the comfort feel, the performance tones, and the freedom from worry.

Get yourself a relic and gain insight into yourself... plus freedom.

Last edited:

Latest Threads