Pennsylvania man faces 7 years for allegedly underpaying for Mountain Dew by 43 cents

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They called the cops over 43¢?

There may be more to the story, but from what I have heard and read, this was a misunderstanding, not a crime, but rather a picayune civil matter -- maybe breach of contract. Bail was originally set at $50,000, but his PD was able to get him out without having to post anything.

FoxNews.com Story snippet:

A Pennsylvania man was jailed last month and charged with a felony after allegedly underpaying for a bottle of Mountain Dew soda by 43 cents, a penalty due largely in part to the state's three-strikes law.

Joseph Sobolewski walked into a convenience store in Perry County where there was a special for 20-ounce Mountain Dew bottles: 2 for $3.

Sobolewski took one bottle, put down $2 on the counter and walked out, PennLive reported. The store called the police and he was arrested. What Sobolewski may not have known was that a single bottle of Mountain Dew cost $2.29, not $1.50.

So he actually shorted the store by 43 cents, or 29 cents for the bottle plus tax. He is being held on a $50,000 bond and faces up to seven years in prison.

HuffPost Story

rockstar232007

Reaction score
He has multiple arrests/charges from previous shoplifting incedents. In other words; 3 strikes, you're out.

Because he's a RO, the last one is being treated as a felony.

fry

Reaction score
Sounds more than a little silly on the surface, but we are talking Mountain Dew here. Off with his head.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, surely there is some weird contract law that covers this, two for three bucks? but $2.43 for one? Thats encouraging excessive consumption. To me its also surely a civil matter? he paid, but not the full artificially inflated amount done to make the three dollar price look a bargain.

fry

Reaction score
I’ll take the next one out of the cooler for a buck and a half, everything will be squared away. :thumb:

Spartom

Reaction score
Zero sympathy, the guy sounds like a prick. I was behind a guy in a Dash In/Exxon who did the same thing. Just plunked down what he thought was enough and started walking out. Typical cocky type A jackass. The cashier told him he needed 10 more cents and the guy starts arguing with him, then throws a few coins across the counter. Fuck people like that.

pnuggett

Reaction score
He probably needed that Mountain Dew to help swallow his drugs.

Mannish Boy

Reaction score
I feel so much safer now, getting this dangerous criminal off the streets.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
article says guy is homeless. What homeless person would over pay and walk away from the 38 cents change he was due? That is if he truly thought the soda was $1.50.

I tend to think he wants to be incarcerated.

Latest Threads