Pelham blue SG special discontinued?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Sorry this is my hundredth thread! So I AB’d the LP Jr. and SG Jr. and was planning to get both but the LP Jr. won out. So I plan on keeping that LP Jr. BUT, I still plan on picking up an SG.

Though the SG Jr. didn’t work out, I spotted a stunning Pelham blue SG special! The store said they just got it in along with a sparkling burgundy one. Serial number showed 2021. My question…wasn’t the Pelham blue and burgundy discontinued? Are these just the last of the remaining stock? If it is, I might just go for it. They offered it at the old $1500 price with a 15% discount on top. If the Pelham blues aren’t coming back, I might buy first and think later lol.

I see the Pelham blue and sparkling burgundy didn’t get the $100 Gibson price hike and they removed it from the Gibson website (pics for reference). So I’m thinking these won’t be coming back.

4547-F39-F-12-C7-44-F9-86-FE-E3-F9919206-DA.png

1727-F957-472-D-43-EA-9-D61-2137-A67660-D3.jpg

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater shows them as on order. Although Long & McQuade in Canada has both colors in stock, they could be discontinued. L&M sometimes has left over stock.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Sweetwater shows them as on order. Although Long & McQuade in Canada has both colors in stock, they could be discontinued. L&M sometimes has left over stock.
Good to know thanks. Yeah I saw Sweetwater and some other dealers say they were back ordered, which made me think they’re still in production. I don’t think they would let people pre-order them if they weren’t producing more. But I’m still confused why they removed those two finish options from their website and didn’t do the price increase for them,

gtimach1

Reaction score
My guess is that the two new finishes are in production and the two previous ones are left over stock. I still see some around, but I bet they will be disappearing soon. My brother is getting a Pelham Blue tomorrow that was in stock at our local Alto Music store. Same price as listed above too.

Back ordered probably means they still have several due in and are hopefully waiting for the orders to be filled.

I have a lefty Faded Pelham Blue SG Special and it is an awesome guitar.
A645DC94-F15E-42DF-B497-E228F69FCA9A.jpeg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
My guess is that the two new finishes are in production and the two previous ones are left over stock. I still see some around, but I bet they will be disappearing soon. My brother is getting a Pelham Blue tomorrow that was in stock at our local Alto Music store. Same price as listed above too.

Back ordered probably means they still have several due in and are hopefully waiting for the orders to be filled.

I have a lefty Faded Pelham Blue SG Special and it is an awesome guitar. View attachment 571580
Wow, that’s a beautiful axe. I never get tired of seeing Pelham blue. That’s helpful to know, makes sense now why I see them being orders and still popping up in stores. Will AB with a standard tomorrow and if I like the p90’s more I won’t hesitate since these are gonna be discontinued soon and I don’t see them come up on the used market very often.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Back ordered can mean that they have no more but is no guarantee that they will ever get them. My advice is to get one now if you want one. Also, prices keep going up in the meantime.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Back ordered can mean that they have no more but is no guarantee that they will ever get them. My advice is to get one now if you want one. Also, prices keep going up in the meantime.

Good points. I’m trying to put a cap on how many guitars I have in my collection and have been selling an old guitar for each new one, so I’m a little cautious each time I buy. But this def gives me a little extra push to pull the trigger on the SG. Especially since they’re offering it at a 15% discount.

Only problem is I found a used 2020 Les Paul Junior that I absolutely love the feel and sound of…I may end up getting both as I think the new Juniors aren’t easy to come by either. I never see them used. Plus, an SG Special and LP Junior are different enough in tone to justify both right? I’m looking for any excuse lol.

gtimach1

Reaction score
Good points. I’m trying to put a cap on how many guitars I have in my collection and have been selling an old guitar for each new one, so I’m a little cautious each time I buy. But this def gives me a little extra push to pull the trigger on the SG. Especially since they’re offering it at a 15% discount.

Only problem is I found a used 2020 Les Paul Junior that I absolutely love the feel and sound of…I may end up getting both as I think the new Juniors aren’t easy to come by either. I never see them used. Plus, an SG Special and LP Junior are different enough in tone to justify both right? I’m looking for any excuse lol.

Good luck with that “one in and one out” method. I was doing well with that and then COVID and its production and supply issues hit. Instead of trading in a guitar at my local guitar gear store, I ended up getting a few guitars on EBay. So, I was not trading in a guitar and my “one in and one out” had left the building.

The Pelham Blue SG Special may be the best guitar I have ever had and actually a bargain compared to some.

I still try to hold the line on guitars, but as long as I have space for them, can afford them comfortably, and enjoy them…then sales resistance crumbles. So many guitars. I don‘t know how right handed guitarists deal with it. At least my left handed options are very limited.
607485D0-0918-4D26-BAC9-12A6C4C19DC1.jpeg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Good luck with that “one in and one out” method. I was doing well with that and then COVID and its production and supply issues hit. Instead of trading in a guitar at my local guitar gear store, I ended up getting a few guitars on EBay. So, I was not trading in a guitar and my “one in and one out” had left the building.

The Pelham Blue SG Special may be the best guitar I have ever had and actually a bargain compared to some.

I still try to hold the line on guitars, but as long as I have space for them, can afford them comfortably, and enjoy them…then sales resistance crumbles. So many guitars. I don‘t know how right handed guitarists deal with it. At least my left handed options are very limited. View attachment 572660
That is a beautiful collection, they look great together. Between all the tobacco and cherry bursts, or black and white…blue guitars just have that added unique beauty to them.

Same happened to me with quarantine….I think I bought 5 guitars in the last year and a half. I was pretty relaxed with buying any gear within my means, but I had a hard time selling my last two guitars so I could fund the new ones I’m getting, it made my think twice before buying. Coordinating meetings from Craigslist, packing and shipping guitars, Reverb fees and dealing with low ballers, just wasn’t my cup of tea. Now I only wanna buy if I know I’ll keep it for a good while and really love it or if I’m sure it’ll be easy to move at the price I paid for it.

But I gotta say, there’s a lot of fun in owning and playing new guitars, it’s definitely my biggest vice!

Jungle

Reaction score

I still try to hold the line on guitars, but as long as I have space for them, can afford them comfortably, and enjoy them…then sales resistance crumbles. So many guitars. I don‘t know how right handed guitarists deal with it. At least my left handed options are very limited. View attachment 572660

Now you need a Pelham Blue Les Paul Jr

Les Paul Jr 24.jpg

gtimach1

Reaction score
Looks great. Though seeing a lefty could be an obstacle to that nice plan.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Now you need a Pelham Blue Les Paul Jr

View attachment 573169
I legit was looking for one haha. But I could only find a used tobacco burst one from that year. They look so good in Pelham blue, especially with a nice darker fret board like yours. The specs from that year were great too if i remember right, I think they were hand wired, had the compensated bridge, slimmer neck profile.

Latest Threads