Pedaltrain Nano and Voodoo Lab ISO5

sonar

Reaction score
I love the old PT Nano boards. The idea of keeping it simple and building a board for a purpose appealed to me after years of using a large board meant for everything.

The big problem was noise with the band board. A decent wall wart is fine for the house, but adding it into a rehearsal space or venue with questionable electricals proved to be a losing battle with noise and hum. Even using the battery pack Volto turned out to be a failure with the band board.

Thought about the T-Rex Fuel tank series, but after talking to other players and searching the boards it became clear that the Fuel Tank Jr. wasn't the best option if I really wanted to isolate and remove hum and noise.

I had used a Voodoo Lab PP+ for years on my big boards with no noise issues, so decided to go back to a brand and product that's proven to work, instead of trying to save some money in what turned out to be a critical part of my chain.

Found a used ISO5 on Reverb and a couple parts from ebay.

15 minutes with a drill, Dremel and some velcro...

6 months and no noise.

It's easy to think cheap about power, but sometimes you really need to spend a little money on a real solution.

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Awesome!

I was having noise problems, and just a got MXR DC Brick, which powers eight 9V pedals and two 18V pedals. And it's so tiny it fit in your hand.

I need to get a proper board to house them all on, though.

Luke_Nukem

Reaction score
I've been powering my PT-2 sized board with an Iso 5 for the last year and a half. Great little supply.

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
The Iso5 works great. That isolated regulated thing really works great. It stays cool even after running five pedals at a time for hours.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
That's a nifty looking setup! You're right; NEVER skimp on power.
The OneSpots have gotten pretty good over the last few years and many use them with no issues, but in the interest of being sure to have clean power: Voodoo Lab--accept no substitute!!
:thumbs:

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
I have the same board but use a Cioks DC-5 that fits perfect under the board without mods. Very handy!

sonar

Reaction score
I have the same board but use a Cioks DC-5 that fits perfect under the board without mods. Very handy!
The Adam got a lot of complaints with noise and the DC-5 was a little too new, with not much user feedback, when I put this board together.

I decided to stick with VL because of the long track record and consistency with their power supplies. Also, used ISO 5's are a bargain.

powerslide

Reaction score
Agreed, power is not the place to skimp. I've been using the VooDoo lab PP2 on my pedaltrain Jr. for years with no issues, dont think I'd buy anything else for my main board at this point. I do use a one spot when tinkering with New or various pedals and they seem to have gotten better than I remember, no problems with the latest one I picked up.

sonar

Reaction score
I think people have caught on with power supplies over the years. Back on the old Harmony Central forum you'd see pics of $1000+ worth of pedals hooked up to $10 power strips and spaghetti knots full of wall warts.

In a way it felt like I had finally grown up when I first set up my PP2+ all those years ago. I almost instantly regretted it after I sold it last year.