Pedals with Rack System. This gonna work?

Sudetenland

Reaction score
Found some useful info on peddals here but I am not clear if this is going to work. I have a tube preamp/multi effects running to a tube power amp in a rack. The distortion is something I have been fussing most with as all other effects are fine.

So, does it make sense to put an OD or distortion pedal in front of the preamp or should I use the FX loop? For background I can control the effects in the programs but to date distortion still sounds kinda "splashy" in power cords, individual notes are great. Example is 12 bar blues, intro and exit sound great (single notes), chords not up to par.

I have a Seymour Duncan twin tube classic for OD, and the web site directs it to be hooked up to the amp or power amp in the input, no mention of using a preamp or FX loop.

Thanks

axepilot

Reaction score
If the preamp / FX unit doesn't provide the distortion you want, you can run a distortion pedal in line with the guitar's input to the preamp. You can set the rig to run fairly clean and use your distortion pedal when you need it. Just be warned that some preamps react better or worse to this than others.

Putting a dirt box in the FX loop usually turns everything to buzzy noise or mud when you stomp it. The FX loop is best served with modulation FX like chorus, reverb, etc.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Put the OD pedal in the front. The preamp/multi fx/power amp is your "amp", despite it's complexity - so threat it like it was just an amp & put the drive pedal in front of it.

Sudetenland

Reaction score
Thanks much, appreciate it.

Got a used Tube Screamer and a Delta Lab Metal Distortion and plugged them in today. With the preamp on a clean setting the pedals sound good. TS9 seemed easy to dial in a nice lead tone, Delta Lab a nice power cord sound.

Both I like better than the ones offered by the pre..

Thanks again

Latest Threads