Pedalboard Building

Reaction score
So I am considering building a pedalboard to my specs. I want the following:

-Compressor (considering CS-2)
-Noise Suppressor/Gate
-Overdrive (Tube Screamer or Wylde overdrive)
-Delay
-Phaser

I already have a Crybaby and a Metal Zone, but I really only use it for my side project.

SUGGESTIONS? :dude:

2009LPGT

Reaction score
I guess I'm unclear what your asking. Are you needing pedal board construction ideas or pedal recommendations?

MojoMonster

Reaction score
What amp(s) are you using?

My 2¢.

-Compressor (considering CS-2)
I use a Seymour Duncan Doubleback.
If you get the CS-2 consider a mod kit for it.

-Noise Suppressor/Gate
It's hard to beat the Boss NS-2 for the price.
Put the dirt pedals in the loop and you're good to go.

-Overdrive (Tube Screamer or Wylde overdrive)
BYOC Overdrive 2, a Screamer clone.
Add to that the BYOC Mouse, a Rat clone.
They're DIY clones and they're pretty easy to mod as well.
If you don't DIY, the Digitech Bad Monkey is a low-cost Screamer clone and ProCo makes a double Rat-in-a-box pedal that I like, called the Deucetone.

I just picked up a Seymour Duncan Deja Vu that I like a lot, but more than with most pedals, people seem to have their favorite delays so I suspect you'll get many different suggestions.

Again, BYOC Phase Royal.
They've updated the kit a whole bunch, it seems.
I might have to look into that one.

MM

2009LPGT

Reaction score
The Boss CS-2 is very squishy but nice and smoooth! It was not my flavor. I would have to say the one to own is the Barber Tone Press because it can be adjusted for the perfect amount of compression!

Delay is easy, my recommendation is the Boss DD-7. Perfect balance of tone and features in my opinion. I tried a ton of delay pedals, most very expensive, and this one gets 'er done!

Noise supressor - if you REALLY need one then the Boss has worked very well for me in the past. I avoid noise like the plague so I don't introduce it in the first place and have found it unnecessary, however, The Boss or another one called the Decimator would give great results!

Phaser - OK, I may one of the few Boss Phaser lovers. But if you have never owned a phaser I would recomment the MXR Script or the MXR EVH Phaser. Classics and you will be pleased with the results. The EVH sounds great and has a button to go between script and block modes (subtle to less subtle) sounds. I don't think you can go wrong and truth be know, I believe i will buy one myself shortly.

Drive - wicked personal stuff. I only use a King Of Tone but they are stupid expensive used and a long wait new. I have liked many but I would recommend a CMAT Mods Signa Drive. Also, hard to go wrong with a good 'ol Tube Screamer. Also, one that would be on my list is the VooDoo Labs Sparkle Drive. It gets a LOT of love so try and listen to one of those!

Good luck man, it is a fun journey!

2009LPGT

Reaction score
Anyone heard of the Keeley Compressor?
Yep. Had one. I wanted to like it sooo bad cause it is soooo cool but I could not make it happen. The 4 knob is worth the upcharge. It is butter smooth but cuts high end (and as a result noise.) With my tweed amp based rig I could not get it to work for me. However a Fender Blackface or Marshall/Vox voiced rig may be the perfect match!

Latest Threads