Pedal that makes an electric sound like an acoustic

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some samba songs in my repertoire and ain't got no acoustic, so I'm looking for more of a nylon string classical sound than, say, a Gibson J-200 sound. Which pedal do you recommend? What's out there?

Mr French

Reaction score

BOSS Acoustic Simulator Guitar Pedal (AC-3) seems to be the best bet

Not familiar with that newer model but 15 years ago I would of said Boss would be the best and the only one at the time lol. Not sure what's out there now but I'd still go with Boss as it's likely to be in stores.

dspelman

Reaction score
And depending on what ELSE you're doing with the pedal, the Helix has both acoustic and 12-string goodies in the new iteration of the firmware.

freefrog

Reaction score
I have some samba songs in my repertoire and ain't got no acoustic, so I'm looking for more of a nylon string classical sound than, say, a Gibson J-200 sound.

What's out there?

There's not much offers for nylon strings emulations...

An old cheapo MFX for acoustic guitars like the hideous Zoom A2 hosts preset digital modelis of all kinds (including nylon strings) + variable input settings for magnetic PU's, piezo and so on. But it's not necessarily easy to set.

Impulse responses can certainly do the job but must be adapted to the electric guitar used.
Now, if you feel ready to tweak IR's, there's some cheap MFX's with IR loaders: Valetion GP100 or NUX MG30 / MG300 come to my mind.

Finally, the Boss GP10 does offer what I consider as a convincing nylon strings sound, but it requires a GK3 hexaphonic transducer:

FWIW.

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless, I don't think there is any pedal out there that would make an electric guitar sound like nylon string classical.

Great advice and suggestions guys. Next time I'm at Huber Breese Music I'll give them a try.

In this case close is good enough.

reedrainey

Reaction score
Regardless, I don't think there is any pedal out there that would make an electric guitar sound like nylon string classical.
Agreed. Give up. They all sound thin and tinny to me, as I own several acoustics. I'm not being a snob on this, I've just never heard one that sounded even close to right. Even when you put your axe output through an EQ, it just sounds electric, to me. A good case here for me to have a real acoustic along with an electric. It's only two guitars on-stage, guys. And many have 3 or more.

tzd

Reaction score
For the price of the Boss GP-10 (over $500), plus you need to install GK3 pickup on your guitar (another $300), I recommend you to buy a Yamaha Silent Guitar instead. SLG-100N can be found used for $500, and the current model SLG-200N retails for $730.

I own a SLG-100N myself, it sounds great plugged into the PA.

freefrog

Reaction score
For the record and just to contextualize my own previous advice : the Boss GP10 models various synth sounds + acoustic/bass/electric guitars, + alt tunings + an excellent 12 strings mode assignable to any digital model. It can also can be used as a regular MFX with many capabilities of the GT100 (the last time I've used it, it was for its harmonizer sent to a second amp in a Queen tribute band).

Its nylon strings sound can be heard above. People will find it convincing or not but it can be largely tweaked and spiced with EQ, reverb, delay, chorus and so on.

It's not perfect and it's not even my favourite MFX among all the toys that I've at disposal. it's just a versatile tool, useful on stage: my headless Steinberger with GK3 is lighter on my shoulders than my double neck 12/6 strings guitar (with its 7kg / 15.4lb) and easier to use live than any of my acoustic guitars - or even than my Variax.

Not that I deny the interest of other solutions: I own a silent Yamaha nylon strings guitar and like it.... but at least the reasons why I've evoked the GP10 should be clearer now (although I admitedly don't know its current price: I've bought mine brand new 368 Euros with GK3 included a few years ago). :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tzd

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Probably be easier and cheaper to buy a nylon string acoustic and add a pure mini pickup.

Mookakian

Reaction score
I cant even gel with an acpustic with a pickup for acoustic tones, if i had to id go for a strat neck pup with the boss

Latest Threads