Pedal Power, Daisy Chains, Grounds - Enlighten me!

diavolo

Reaction score
Hey boys: If Joyo can sell one of these for $10, shouldn't we be able to build one for $3 per line and perhaps incorporate it one per line in a filter box?
build one of what?
i didnt see a link or pic.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
In my 40th year of guitaring and finished assembling my first pedal board this morning. 6 pedals: 3 over drives in front with EQ, chorus, and reverb through the effects loop (Marshall Origin 20h). A quick run through this morning and very happy.

What surprised me most was the power needed by the pedals using a Truetone mA meter.

mA
21 Archer Ikon
7. OCD ge
8 TS5
8. EQ700
20 Boss CE5 chorus
60 Boss RV6 reverb

This is not an expensive meter, but had received good reviews on SW site. Thereadings on the od pedals generally 1 mA higher (what I posted) when on, but I did expect them to draw more. I guess I may not have needed the 1700 mA power supply to hook this all together.

Lester

Reaction score
In my 40th year of guitaring and finished assembling my first pedal board this morning. 6 pedals: 3 over drives in front with EQ, chorus, and reverb through the effects loop (Marshall Origin 20h). A quick run through this morning and very happy.

What surprised me most was the power needed by the pedals using a Truetone mA meter.

mA
21 Archer Ikon
7. OCD ge
8 TS5
8. EQ700
20 Boss CE5 chorus
60 Boss RV6 reverb

This is not an expensive meter, but had received good reviews on SW site. Thereadings on the od pedals generally 1 mA higher (what I posted) when on, but I did expect them to draw more. I guess I may not have needed the 1700 mA power supply to hook this all together.
So we're talking a total of 124 ma for all those pedals?

freefrog

Reaction score
Hey boys: If Joyo can sell one of these for $10, shouldn't we be able to build one for $3 per line and perhaps incorporate it one per line in a filter box?
Well, I had shared a link about this cheap gadget in my post 15 above precisely because I did know that you appreciate(d) cheap and/or DIY solutions...

I've not (yet) cracked open one of my ZGP's but I'd expect them to be based on tiny SMD components and any DIY equivalent to be much more cumbersome, therefore...
Not that tiny circuits are impossible to do: I've buiit a Stratoblaster booster on a chip that I could probably put inside a ZGP housing... but tiny is generally tricky (at least for an old fart like me, whose fingers are trembling. LOL).

Anyway and again: ZGP's work for me. They even do a good job with my home made Ge treble boosters and fuzz pedals(!).
Now, they don't work for everybody: there's negative reviews too. So my contribution is to take with a grain of salit (as always). :p

BRMarshall

Reaction score
So we're talking a total of 124 ma for all those pedals?
Yes, I was very surprised. I waited on the 1,700 mA power supply to arrive, along with the mA meter before daisy chaining all 6 pedals to one power source. I was afraid that my 400 mA supply wouldn’t be enough. It looks like it would have been. I’m using the new, but good to know that the old should work as a backup.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I was expecting the Boss reverb and Chorus to draw more amps based on some things I’d read previously. The OCD-ge is a relatively new pedal so was extra surprised at its reading. I would have expected it to be more, like the Ikon. I bought the ts5 in the 90’s (Ibanez Soundtank) because the TS9 seemed to be about 3x the price at the time and I had to be very budget oriented at the time.

Lester

Reaction score
Well, I had shared a link about this cheap gadget in my post 15 above precisely because I did know that you appreciate(d) cheap and/or DIY solutions...

I've not (yet) cracked open one of my ZGP's but I'd expect them to be based on tiny SMD components and any DIY equivalent to be much more cumbersome, therefore...
Not that tiny circuits are impossible to do: I've buiit a Stratoblaster booster on a chip that I could probably put inside a ZGP housing... but tiny is generally tricky (at least for an old fart like me, whose fingers are trembling. LOL).

Anyway and again: ZGP's work for me. They even do a good job with my home made Ge treble boosters and fuzz pedals(!).
Now, they don't work for everybody: there's negative reviews too. So my contribution is to take with a grain of salit (as always). :p
I hear you. I wasn't really looking for you to reverse engineer their work, although it's an idea. I can't solder at the SMD level either - fingers are just too thick for that kind of thing - but I suppose figuring out what they did with them and doing it on a large scale would be easier.

But, my initial thought was the circuitry has to be very simple. If we could build a filtering array with simple repetitive circuits, a filtered PS to each pedal becomes a low-cost adventure. Cheap PS -> Array -> Multiple Pedals

Latest Threads