pedal chain order and now effects loop

bigdaddy496

Reaction score
so now i have a conundrum, since i got my new amp i noticed not everything sounds as great as it once did. i guess its becuase i use the distortion from the amp. i wanted to get some opinions on what i should do with my chain and if i should utilize the effects loop, and if so with what pedals. heres the list

dunlop volume pedal
boss tu-2 tuner
dunlop crybaby
dunlop crybaby 535q
vox keeley modded wah
electro harmonix pog
electro harmonix micro synth
boss super shifter ps-5
electro harmonix big muff pi wicker
boss rt-20 rotary simulator
boss bf-3 flanger
electro harmonix pulsar <--i noticed since i began to use the amp i have to turn the depth knob up a lot more to hear this effect.
boss phaser
boss chorus
electro harmonix cathedral
boss dd-20 giga delay

pedals that arent on the board right now:
boss super octave
boss metal zone
boss keeley modded ds-1
vox satchurator
electro harmonix voice box
electro harmonix v256 vocoder

what im looking for is which pedals to leave connected the usual way, and which to go through the effects loop, if any
i really need some advice on the voice box and v256, these are unique to my board because im using them in a way they werent originally planned for. instead of having a mic connected, i used xlr-1/4 adapters to connect my guitar into them so i can make all those cool sounds from the effectology videos

any help would greatly be appreciated

StandingWave

Reaction score
When using your amp's distortion, the stuff that sounds better after dirt (typically most modulation, delay, and reverb) should go into the loop. That puts it after your amp's distortion. A problem you might run into is that loops tend to run at a hotter level and not all pedals can handle that.

One way to simplify is if you don't need your amp's distortion. If you run your amp clean, you can put everything out front (not in the loop), and in whatever order sounds best for your uses.

bigdaddy496

Reaction score
man i gotta tell you though, im hooked on this marshall distortion the jcm 2000 cranks out, i really dig its tone

AngryHatter

Reaction score
As someone remarked in another thread - it depends on what you want to hear.
More crunch?
Twang?
Me? I will rip my board apart almost every time I get something new, trying to nail THAT sound, whatever happens to be.

bigdaddy496

Reaction score
im kinda the same way, i am constantly taking everything off the board and shuffling things around to get them in an order i can work with. thing is there is always something out of place, or it seems

kboman

Reaction score
I believe the general wisdom is something like this:
wah - comp - pitch - dirt - boost - amp - loop send {modulation - delay - reverb} - loop return - poweramp - speakers.

Volume pedal placement is a matter of taste (I like mine pre-dirt), the buffered tuner should probably go after the dirt pedals or at least any fuzz, Fuzz faces and other impedance picky equipment before anything else etc. RT-20 placement depends on what you want to do with it: for regular modulation purposes I'd place it in the "modulation" slot above, for Gilmourish rotary speaker stuff I'd put it last and fiddle with the mix setting.

Moving things around can be a lot of fun, but it must be quite an undertaking with that many pedals!

bigdaddy496

Reaction score
yeah which is why i took some off the board altogether. was running out of patch cables

Latest Threads