pedal board planning (everyone's favorite questions)

e44crowe

Reaction score
I know everyone loves these questions but I want some input from other brains.

I am constantly tweaking my pedalboard. I have a PT-JR with onboard power for 6 pedals. This is the max I have given myself for a board.

SO, my question is how would you equip your pedalboard?

I'll start off with what I consider to be mandatory on the board with my current selection in parenthesis:

Tuner (Korg Pitchblack)
OD (Fulltone OCD)
Delay (Sitori Sonics Reel Repeat)
Modulation (Boss Flanger)

I currently also use:

2nd OD (Tubescreamer)
2nd Modulation (Boss Tremolo)

How would you change? I am really looking more for pedal type guidance more than brands.

I am currently obsessed with adding in a compressor for some reason. Would you remove the 2nd drive pedal or the 2nd modulation type pedal? I like the Tremolo but cant say that it is the most useful pedal for a lot of stuff I play. It is just fun to noodle around with. The 2nd drive pedal gives me options for crunch level at the step of a shoe and also gives me a solo boost option.

FWIW, I play in a classic rock cover band.

Slasher

Reaction score
I agree with Tweaker, you need fuzz :thumb:

If you don't use the tremolo much, take that one out and add the compressor if you want.

Maybe swap something with a fuzz?
It's all up to you man!:dude:

Stuff

Reaction score
You didn't say anything about your amp setup. If you run the amp with any sort of breakup or drive, a boost pedal might be worth looking into.

Batman

Reaction score
I'm building a small 6 pedal board right now so I have in a similar dilemma.

Right now its looking like;

Tuner - TC Polytune
OD - ??
Distortion - Analogman DS-1
Flanger - Boss BF-2
Delay - Hardwire DL-8
Reverb - Hardwire RV-7

I've had compressors on my board and they have a lot of value for playing clean but are less useful (IMO) for playing with gain.

The other modulation I use a lot is chorus. It's a tough call when you get down to 6 pedals.

I'm undecided as to what OD to use. . .SD-1 or TS808 or other?

Brocko

Reaction score
I keep recommending the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive Mod - it is the best OD in my opinion. The main reason is the ability to blend in the clean tone - it just makes such a difference. The same feature on my Boss RT-20 works wonders too.

So maybe having a blend pedal as one of the options? Something like a parallel looper (for an idea have a look at the Xotic x-blender).

Brocko

Reaction score
Also a versatile Drive like the Minimoog Drive - can be an OD, a fuzz plus plug in an expression pedal for a very extreme wah. Anything with an expression pedal opens up a whole new game.

With 6 pedals, one of which is a tuner, you need to get creative!

mmd

Reaction score
I have 8 pedals:

tuner
compressor
clean boost (for leads)
phase 90
OD
distortion
noise gate
delay

I play in 2 bands so the OD is for one, and the distortion for the other. but, if I HAD to lower my pedals to 6, I would drop the OD and the noise gate. the reason I have the gate on my board is I play stock strats right now and it helps cut down on the 60 cycle hum.

e44crowe

Reaction score
I am leaning fairly strong towards dropping the Tremolo for a compressor (which one?).

My board would then be: tuner> compressor> tubescreamer ( main crunch)> OCD (run at 18v and drive set very low for use as a clean boost) > flanger (surprisingly useful modulation) > delay.

FYI, I do also have a fuzz face for whenever I want that. It's off the board and I place it first in the chain if I need to get all fuzzy.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you guys are messing with me, right?

like anybody could play music with only SIX pedals...

hrfdez

Reaction score
Mine right now goes:

Guitar to--------
Peterson Stomp Classic Tuner-
Keeley 4 knob Compressor-
BB Preamp-
Wampler Plexi Drive-
OCD V3-
MXR Superbadass Distortion-
Keeley Fuzz Head-
MXR Analog Chorus-
MXR Micro Flanger-
MXR EVH Phaser-
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay-------
Amp

I also have a Classic Wah and a JB Fet Driver that I switch with the Fuzz Head.

I am just learning how to mess with all this crap, so I am constantly tinkering with the knobs on the pedals.

I mostly use the pedalboard with my Fender DRRI.

Kalz

Reaction score
I'd switch out your modulation with a pedal that can do multiple modulation types EVEN if it doesn't sound the greatest compared to a single unit, you want more versatility with little quality sacrifice when you are limiting yourself to 6 pedals.

I would go

Tuner
Fuzz
Ts808 circuit
Marshall/Vox/HiWatt in a box
Delay
Modulation

Also, a Pt-jr has a deceptively large amount of space. You can probably fit 10 standard size pedals on there if you place them correctly

Brocko

Reaction score
you guys are messing with me, right?

like anybody could play music with only SIX pedals...

yeah easy:

Tuner
Pigronix Philosophers King
MiniMoog Drive w/ expression pedal
Empress Nebulus
Cusack Tap a Whirl
Vox Delaylab (or similar, Line 6 maybe)

The pigtronix gives you compression, bit of distortion and a bit of synth wierdness - Moog gives you OD, fuzz and a mental sweep wah - Empress gives you chorus, flanger, vibrato plus a few extras like univibe - Cusack is all the trem you would ever need - Vox covers all the delay. Grab a headstock tuner and that frees up another pedal slot - Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive mod for some conventional OD tones or a Pigtronix Envelope Phaser for phasing and envelope goodies.

Yeah i know i cheated.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hate how those clip on tuners look but one would open up a space on the board.

Latest Threads