Pedal Board Help

standard man

Reaction score
Hello MLP
I am looking to build up my pedal board. Right now all I have is a Crybaby Original wah, and a Digitech Whammy. I will have about $150 to buy a few pedals and I was wondering what I should get. I mostly play Rage Against The Machine and Buckethead. I have played Distortion pedals through my amp and they give too much feedback so I dont want a distortion. Im sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to the world of pedals. Thanks all for your help!
TY

guitarsmark

Reaction score
+1 on both of the above posts. and a decent overdrive shouldn't feed your amp back right away if it does - you are probably playing too close facing it and too loud.

standard man

Reaction score
Well, I went to a clean model on the amp, turned the pedal on, and there was tons of feedback. I adjusted the settings accordingly but it didnt help.

zap2012

Reaction score
You're not going to get a bunch of pedals for $150, but If you could only get two, I would strongly suggest a Boss GE-7 and a Boss TU-2. I held off on buying the tuner forever because I kept thinking that it was way too much (about $100 new) for something I could do by just plugging into a $20 digital tuner. But the TU-2 is completely worth it, especially if you can find it used on eBay.

The equalizer is crucial to my sound--it's always on, and my tone is incredibly thin without it. But it's just so versatile, I think everyone should have one. You can use it to boost a certain range, to sculpt your sound all the time, or even as a clean boost for solos. It's a must-have.

The other pedal I'd recommend is the Big Muff Pi. I know you're anti-distortion pedals, but the Big Muff is just so fat and awesome.

Check them out!

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You need to talk about your amp. Do you use the modeling features? Do you use the overdrive the amp has to shape your sound or you wanna shape it with a pedal? It depends on that.

If you use the amp, then you could fine tune the tone with the EQ and get a tuner for convenience, but I think your amp already has a tuner, although not as convenient.

Tone is amp and guitar, the rest is shaping tools. You have to start with the sound you get and the sound you wanna get and see what's missing, then find out how to get there.

standard man

Reaction score
You need to talk about your amp. Do you use the modeling features? Do you use the overdrive the amp has to shape your sound or you wanna shape it with a pedal? It depends on that.

If you use the amp, then you could fine tune the tone with the EQ and get a tuner for convenience, but I think your amp already has a tuner, although not as convenient.

Tone is amp and guitar, the rest is shaping tools. You have to start with the sound you get and the sound you wanna get and see what's missing, then find out how to get there.

I use the modeling features. I like them. Thats why I said I dont need a distortion. I would like a little more fine tuning. I think Im gonna get an EQ. And about the tuner, my amp does not have one. I would like to get a tuner. I would also like to get a compressor. Does anyone have a suggestion for these 3 pedals? I was thinking about the GFS tuner and compressor. Then an MXR EQ.

Jackyrhode

Reaction score
Take all that money and get a good digital delay. If you're into Morello, that's the biggest key to his sound after the wah and whammy.

Jackyrhode

Reaction score
Depends on the sound you're looking for. I've had a deluxe memory man and a BOSS DD7. There were both great pedals. In fact, the DD7 gets decent analog sounds.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Here's a pic of Morello's pedal board:
Tom_Pedalboard.jpg

Apparently uses a Boss digital delay, DOD EQ, flanger...
I think investing in a good tuner, Boss, Korg, is never a bad idea

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I kinda like the suggestions, I love my compressor. I got an MXR, but the Keeley is better! Get a nice compressor, don't go cheap or else it could become a problem with noise and crap.

The Boss tuner is the standard, but I'd like to try the GFS myself, I was looking at a Korg because of the large display, but the GFS is bright and for way less.

The EQ, you can go with the MXR. The Boss EQ is cool, the MXR is just more bands so you can adjust the sound even more.

GibsonRocker

Reaction score
Depending on what your amp is, maybe you should look into saving for a while longer and getting a better amp?

The Guitarist

Epi Verification Expert
Reaction score
Depending on what your amp is, maybe you should look into saving for a while longer and getting a better amp?

+1
I was just waiting for that sentence to come up man. A modelling amp is going to do nothing but fight against pedals, I've got one of the marshall original valvestates, and although it's got a pretty decent clean and OD, I'm still looking into getting an all tube just to allow a wider range of pedals, and generally a better sound.

it's the hierarchy of tone (in context to pedals):
Fingers
Amp
guitar
Pedals

Something like that in my crazy mind... :hmm:

Latest Threads