Pedal and multi-effect pedal questions

warpedsoul

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a newb pretty much to the guitar scene, but I have learned a lot about gutiars, pickups, and amps. Now I want to venture into the pedal scene.

Years ago when I first tried to learn how to play, I bought a Zoom G1X multi-effects pedal thinking I could get all the sounds I wanted out of it. Now, I have a Fender Mustang III amp, and it pretty much does everything the Zoom G1X does, rendering it useless.

My first question is does a multi-effect pedal exist that goes by single effects, and allow you to use multiple effects at one time. For example, The zoom G1X generally gives you a certain amp sound in total, and if you want to add a wah, you have to create a whole new sound and switch. I'm looking for a multi-effect pedal that will allow me to tune in my general sound on the amp, and the add the wah or delay or overdrive as needed. The Mustang amp can generally do that, but you can only add one effect per preset.

If something like that exists, what would be some good options?

If soemthing like that doesn't exist, what would be some good pedals for music like Godsmack, Bullet for my Valentine, Disturbed, and other Hard Rock Metal? I'm looking at the Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah, and it gets really good reviews, but what else would I need?

dleuen

Reaction score
Yes, there are actually quite a few. Multi-effects pedal is what you want to look for. Line 6 makes an M9 which will give you 3 effects simultaneously and an M13 which will give you 4. Boss and probably Digitech, Zoom all make the same. There are also higher end mulit-effects pedals too. I have an M9 and find it to be a great addition.

warpedsoul

Reaction score
A lot of the multi-effects pedals include amp modeling, which isn't really what I want. The ones you listed do what I want, but a bit pricey lol.

Am I correct in assuming that my Zoom G1X will not give me what I'm looking for, or are there options that I'm overlooking that will bypass the amp modelling and just give me the effects?

I was looking at the Zoom G5 and the Digitech RP500. I know the Digitech will allow by amp modelling bypass, not sure about the Zoom G5.

River

Reaction score
You don't have to use the amp or cab modeling in a POD.

TKOjams

Reaction score
I have a Digitech RP7, it sounds good but it's a pain in the @ss to program.

thumbnail.aspx

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i'd throw in the Boss Me-50, or whatever the current equivalent is *edit* - the ME-70 seems to be the modern one, and looks pretty badass). it's like having the separate pedals available when you want them.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKbxkPESe0M]ME-70 Multi-effects (1/2) from BOSS - YouTube[/ame]

:thumb:

warpedsoul

Reaction score
i'd throw in the Boss Me-50, or whatever the current equivalent is *edit* - the ME-70 seems to be the modern one, and looks pretty badass). it's like having the separate pedals available when you want them.

That does look pretty pimp. So now I'm considering the Boss ME-70, A Line 6 POD, Digitech RP500 or RP1000, and a Zoom G5. This all started with a crybaby lol.

Thanks for all the input, and keep them coming.

The price of some of these are scaring me off though. I'm not that good of a player, and only know a few songs, but most of the songs I am learning has the Wah for solos, especially Godsmack. So who knows, maybe a good fathers day gift.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
My first pedal was also the G1.x and it was my introduction to the world of multi-fx. I still keep it around as my drum-machine.

At this moment, Zoom has some excellent offerings. Both the G3 and the G5 offer what you want and I would not hesitate to go with them once again. IMHO, their simulations are far better than what Boss does. And Boss' favourite simulations seem to be... Boss pedals!:D

warpedsoul

Reaction score
I do like Zoom, and hear great things about their other products. Might come down to Zoom and Digitech. Digitech specifically states the amp and cabinet bypass though. Will have to do more research.

jfwund

Reaction score
I used to own a RP7, played live with it for years, and it was a decent pedal.

That said, once I got a tube amp, the multieffects weren't cutting it for me -- too much tone suck. Unless you're having to switch between several different multieffects patches quickly per song, I'd say your best bet would be to build a pedalboard with some high quality pedals to get the specific effects you want. Look for a good Overdrive or Boost, Distortion, Delay, Wah, Reverb (if not on your amp), and Compression, and that should get you pretty much where you want to be.

Depending on your budget, maybe a Zvex Box of Metal, a delay of your choice, a Wilson wah, and a MXR Dyna-comp would be a solid lineup?

warpedsoul

Reaction score
I used to own a RP7, played live with it for years, and it was a decent pedal.

That said, once I got a tube amp, the multieffects weren't cutting it for me -- too much tone suck. Unless you're having to switch between several different multieffects patches quickly per song, I'd say your best bet would be to build a pedalboard with some high quality pedals to get the specific effects you want. Look for a good Overdrive or Boost, Distortion, Delay, Wah, Reverb (if not on your amp), and Compression, and that should get you pretty much where you want to be.

Depending on your budget, maybe a Zvex Box of Metal, a delay of your choice, a Wilson wah, and a MXR Dyna-comp would be a solid lineup?

The Fender Mustang III has reverb, but if I ever play on stage, I doubt I'll use that as an amp.

I was worried about the tone not being good enough through a multi-effect pedal.

For the general consensus, is a Wilson Wah better than the Dunlop Crybaby Wah 535Q?

jfwund

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you about the general consensus. I know that Crybaby wahs in general don't really blow me away, and I like the true bypass and LED on the Wilson wahs. Plus it's a one-man operation with great customer service. You can buy them from a dealer, or you can have him build you one just for you. I am in the build queue for a Tunable Colorful Clone, which is his version of the Macari wah that Clapton used on Cream's Wheels of Fire album, pretty much my ideal wah tone. He's got lots of options with switches and knobs, and the pricing is pretty good -- the same or cheaper than the RMC wahs which are also supposed to be stellar.

The Dunlop 535Q looks like a good wah too, so if that's the one you like, rock it! I was just taking a stab at what pedals I might want if I were playing hard rock/metal in the hopes that it might be helpful to you (even if just for you to look at and say no, that's not what I want...)

warpedsoul

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you about the general consensus. I know that Crybaby wahs in general don't really blow me away, and I like the true bypass and LED on the Wilson wahs. Plus it's a one-man operation with great customer service. You can buy them from a dealer, or you can have him build you one just for you. I am in the build queue for a Tunable Colorful Clone, which is his version of the Macari wah that Clapton used on Cream's Wheels of Fire album, pretty much my ideal wah tone. He's got lots of options with switches and knobs, and the pricing is pretty good -- the same or cheaper than the RMC wahs which are also supposed to be stellar.

The Dunlop 535Q looks like a good wah too, so if that's the one you like, rock it! I was just taking a stab at what pedals I might want if I were playing hard rock/metal in the hopes that it might be helpful to you (even if just for you to look at and say no, that's not what I want...)

I greatly appreciate the info. I had looked into Wilson, but not in great detail. I figured that single pedals would be more expensive, but also better sounding. I just don't know that much about pedals. If Fender would ever allow for multiple effects to be used at one time, I could push this off.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I've had a Digitech RP-10, RP-350, RP-355, RP-1000, Boss GT-10 and liked them enough, but kept going back to my pedals. The GT-10 was the best unit overall for feel and looks, but for sound and functionality I preferred the RP-1000.

It mostly just sat around collecting dust but was easy to change settings. The GT-10 was badass, but I think you needed an engineering degree just to change the settings. I never dedicated much time to learning it. The lower end RP (350, 355) had built in drum machines which were cool for practicing, but nothing to write home about.

Eric Smith

Reaction score
That does look pretty pimp. So now I'm considering the Boss ME-70, A Line 6 POD, Digitech RP500 or RP1000, and a Zoom G5. This all started with a crybaby lol.

Thanks for all the input, and keep them coming.

The price of some of these are scaring me off though. I'm not that good of a player, and only know a few songs, but most of the songs I am learning has the Wah for solos, especially Godsmack. So who knows, maybe a good fathers day gift.
When you consider the cost of buying all of the pedals that are available in this one unit, the price is nothing comparably. To buy just one pedal could cost on average 125-200 dollars.

warpedsoul

Reaction score
When you consider the cost of buying all of the pedals that are available in this one unit, the price is nothing comparably. To buy just one pedal could cost on average 125-200 dollars.

The more I do research the more I notice this.

Yesterday I was able to same the Boss ME-70. It did a nice job, but didn't have a good amp connected.

I'm leaning more towards the RP1000, especially since it has a bypass mode and the Dunlop Crybaby Wah effect by name. Other possibility is the Zoom G3 or G5. I probably will go the multi-effect route though.

Latest Threads