Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
in other news, goldtop photos taken. I've decided to sell it with the fatboy knobs on and the 50s capacitors in. there are always more out there should i ever need them, but Waylon has his capacitors all sorted.

IamGerald

Reaction score
My bit of news today is my fuzz gun clone will be getting shipped next week! Very exited for that.

I'll be sad to see snares Goldtop go :-(

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah, me too. but i can't use the damn thing. it feels like a millstone round my neck, metaphorically and physically

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
by the way, i picked a price for it at random. in case anyone stalks me on ebay...

Brocko

Reaction score
NPD day report: BBE Bench Press

Well, I'm pretty impressed. You can make it very transparent - good for fingerpicking chords, use it as a sustainer or clean boost. Gets as spanky as you want it to. Can have a subtle compression too which still works (I have tried some that sound a bit weedy with low settings). Run after dirt you can really feel the compression, it's not just levelling/evening it out but you get the sense of it squashing all the tone into a nice fat band, also nice for chugging or just to control your tone. Cant see a reason this wouldn't work well on bass too.

All in all, does what it should do, no issues at all, hard to find ANY combinations of the controls that doesn't sound great or have a musical use, sonically excellent - behaves well with others too.

Very, very good pedal which I would recommend without hesitation. If BBE's other stuff is as good, they are worth consideration. Compression has never been my favourite effect and I will still only use in moderation, but I'm seeing uses for this. Definitely not a one trick pony.

Batman

Reaction score
:laugh2: Yup, I'm a Richard.

Happy that you got everything sorted on the Goldtop but I'm really sad to see it go. It being the first guitar I ever played at a live gig. I completely understand why it has to go but still. . .

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i've played a lot of stuff on it. Hell, i've written a lot of stuff on it. i'll miss it too. But, new sounds and new toys will help with that...

Brocko

Reaction score
i've played a lot of stuff on it. Hell, i've written a lot of stuff on it. i'll miss it too. But, new sounds and new toys will help with that...
Can't imagine having to sell my fender MIJ strat - my first electric - be like cutting off an arm

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Can't imagine having to sell my fender MIJ strat - my first electric - be like cutting off an arm

I can't imagine anyone buying my Epi SG Special - my first guitar. I would be like... clearing up space. :D

Just a small summary of my OD "quest" in the past years:

GMD Luther Drive
Fulltone OCD
CMATMODS Signa Drive
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Timmy (ordered)

and the saga continues. The next one up on the list is the BB Preamp, regardless of how well it goes with the Timmy. The main problem is that I have decided that I need 2 kinds of OD pedals on the board: one to do thr touch-sensitive, flat-eq, "transparent" thing and another one to do the compressed, middy thing. The best combo that I have found so far has been the OCD in the place of the 1st and the FD2 in the place of the 2nd. Still... not quite there... :hmm: I will do my best to give the Timmy & BB Preamp-combo a shot in the coming months. It's a damn rabbit-hole...

With distortion boxes and fuzzes, I found the process to be way easier to come to a result. Distortions, it took only 2: MI Audio Crunch Box, then Wampler Sovereign, DONE. With fuzz-boxes it's also really simple: I seem to like the majority of them and I can make the most of them work for me. Lucky enough to come across the Bearfoot AWF, combine it with a middy OD up-front and you have a great working palette of tones.

But ODs...? It's a nightmare. And I haven't even touched Blues-breakers circuits yet.

"and it's on... and on... and on....
It's Heaven & Hell... "

Brocko

Reaction score
But ODs...? It's a nightmare. And I haven't even touched Blues-breakers circuits yet.
After building a Sparkle Drive clone i have really come to appreciate being able to blend back in the clean tone. For OD it really works well - there are a few that do it - Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (the mod version is even better), T-rex Moller etc.

I'm thinking about some sort of blend pedal so that i can add this feature to other pedals.

IamGerald

Reaction score
The WayHuge Pork Loin has a clean blend. That pedal is awesome, also I miss my Truly Beautiful Disaster as that had a clean blend which was amazing if you wanted articulation whilst the fuzz was just going nuts.

Brocko

Reaction score
The WayHuge Pork Loin has a clean blend. That pedal is awesome, also I miss my Truly Beautiful Disaster as that had a clean blend which was amazing if you wanted articulation whilst the fuzz was just going nuts.
I guess the reasons they dont are due to simplicity/cost but i really think more pedals should have the clean blend feature - it can make such a difference.

Thinking of building a TBD clone but don't have a complete schematic. I have something close which is the Disaster fuzz, which some added circuitry - could easily add in the eye although don't think i would use it much.

Brocko

Reaction score
YES! we are definitely buying pedals again! Bit of an impulse buy this one - £20 used (you can tell its pay day)

NPD: DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus - at work so details to follow. I can say has the wierdest on switch i have encountered

kboman

Reaction score
I never got along with my Pork Loin when I had it. The general character of the sound was too muffled and the clean blend did nothing for me. If anything it actively annoyed me to hear the clean sound too!

kboman

Reaction score
Oh right, hi guys. Been sick as a dog the whole week but am slowly getting better now, finally. Four sick days in one week is going to be... interesting next pay check :shock:

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looking for an OD pedal for my normal clean tone - or rather "clean" in inverted commas as it's never truly clean - was a NIGHTMARE, as i'm sure some of you remember. took years. i think i'm there now.

but who knows?

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Double-dislike man. It's been an awful winter on this front, with multiple sickness days for the whole family. And not that great so far, pedal-wise, with the only worthy addition being the AWF. I hoping that I will slowly turn this around and have an interesting summer.

So, summarizing the incoming parcels at Hector's Castle:

1) Hardwire DL-8
2) Timmy
3) ...and... Bearfoot European Tourbox No. 7! Which includes the Uber Bee and the Candiru, among others.

All of the above are on the way, from Greece, USA and UK respectively. This is gonna be a FUN month!

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
looking for an OD pedal for my normal clean tone - or rather "clean" in inverted commas as it's never truly clean - was a NIGHTMARE, as i'm sure some of you remember. took years. i think i'm there now.

but who knows?

you're right. And it wouldn't be a big surprise I guess, if I ended up with another Wampler for the job. But... which one?:hmm:

Latest Threads