Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Quadraverb I think was a right of passage. First time I even considered a Digital unit. Once I found the amount of different effects in one box and how simple it made my setup I was hooked. It wasn't till I started recording that I really started listening to the quality. Or lack of quality the Digital units had on my tone. Never again. Analogue for the duration. If you don't want to see me come in with my fairly large pedalboard, Don't call me.
You are correct it was a rite of passage.... wow, I laughed really hard when I read that, due to your insight. I agree, I kept buying rack gear but I did increase the quality. Higher end Lexicon verbs still sit really well in a mix. However I enjoy using old digital stuff for the grity artifacts. However, it is a matter of perspective. My Roland V synth is sounding more “digital” then when I first bought it. The performance aspect is still killer and in a mix all the richness can get reduced down into a narrow band anyway. I once read a qoute from Frank Zappa, talking about fixing something in the mix: “we’ll fix it in the shrink wrap”. That is the way it always is. A robust sound becomes a tiny little thing, that sound great with everything else but wierd on its own.

dro

Reaction score
You are correct it was a rite of passage.... wow, I laughed really hard when I read that, due to your insight. I agree, I kept buying rack gear but I did increase the quality. Higher end Lexicon verbs still sit really well in a mix. However I enjoy using old digital stuff for the grity artifacts. However, it is a matter of perspective. My Roland V synth is sounding more “digital” then when I first bought it. The performance aspect is still killer and in a mix all the richness can get reduced down into a narrow band anyway. I once read a qoute from Frank Zappa, talking about fixing something in the mix: “we’ll fix it in the shrink wrap”. That is the way it always is. A robust sound becomes a tiny little thing, that sound great with everything else but wierd on its own.

I heard the other day, That's how the Traveling Wilburry's got their name. From We'll Bury it in the mix

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on the TCH Play Acoustic. I think I’m up to at least one full milk crate worth of pedals.

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afflicted, contagious, or whatever the best term is to use...
These are my 3 pedalboards for my 3 amps. (At the moment.) Not shown are the bins of pedals not in use, like a Butler Tube Driver, among others.

FullSetupSmaller.jpg

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Time to revive a great thread.

I got a Mistress for Christmas. I never heard a flanger I like as much as the Deluxe Electric Mistress. I had the old boat-anchor in a wooden box. It was heavenly...but a pig on the pedalboard. I sold it years ago and missed the creamy swirl.

So, my missus got me the analog XO version (so cool my wife got me a Mistress!). I'm happy to say it scratched my itch. I've been playing it all afternoon and it feels right, just like the old giant.

image0.jpeg

Roman4405

Reaction score
Not sure the last time I posted a pic of my pedal board on here.
9B8F6896-5843-4574-8DC6-79CD6B8F5689.jpeg

(i hate that every fucking picture I post is sideways)

Anyway, I’m thinking of replacing the Julia with a Boss MD-200. I don’t use the chorus a lot, I love the DD-200 and I’d like to have more modulation options. Seems like a good plan.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve (not so) sadly acquired this disease as well.. roughly, about 20 new pedals in the past 4 months or so.. do I meet the requirements? Not to mention I’ve also become friends with a pedal builder who can build me just about anything I can think of.. I’m screwed.

giphy.gif

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supro 1310 Tremolo. It'a a Fender or Supro tremolo by a toggle, and an overdrive. It might be my most expensive pedal.

full

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cool stuff happening for you all...

NorthernGuitarGuy (or less humbly said, NGGod): I love the sound of EHX analog stuff. Personally, I do not think there is a better sounding flanger. Another thing is, if I wire up EHX analog stuff in interesting ways, they create symbiotically extreme cool wierd sounds. Maybe not practical, but so much fun.

I do not know if it has been suggested before but the musical theme for this group should be Jaws... just when I thought I was safe, I purchased more pedals. I have three on the way.

Two small purchases: pigtronix mico germanium philosopher’s tone, and micro pigtronix disnortion. The big one: Empress Zoia.

My idea is to have those on a small board which I can pull off the whole small board from my large board. Not sure if it will work, but I like the idea. If the idea works, maybe I can build many small modular boards.

Bad news is that I have not been gigging, or even jamming with anyone. I am taking covid seriously. In my peer group, there is a 4 to 6% chance of death. Those numbers are too scary for me. (Of course for my dad the numbers go up to 40% chance). If it was not for my students (mostly zoom), I would be getting really rusty. In one lesson, I was talking/teaching about using 1/4 tone bends, which I like to apply to exotic scales. I demonstrated with a few of my fav/in bag licks. Today I decided to run one of my exotic scale as modes (or up and down the whole neck). F’ck I had to think. Omg. When playing with other musicians, I end up using that set of scales often enough. Uggg, I hope I am not forgetting other stuff.

Peace

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well... was my post the last post? I remember when this group was jumping.

Today, after a long wait, I get to pick up the Zoia. Why so long? Ask GC... long story. I also bought a Henriksen jazzamp 110 er. Still seeing if that will work, but it sounds excellent for Jazz. I am running a wet/dry/wet system and keeping the amps easily movable: hence, the jazzamp and two zt lunchboxes. The zt are not perfect for my wet stuff but easy to move. I am back to working with other musicians. I will let you know how well things work after next rehearsal.

I should be able to carry everything in and setup in a few minutes. Everything being: tele (seems to work best for this but who knows maybe a different axe) two zts, one jazzamp, and a huge pedal board. I have not finalized the pedals yet, but have realized that with the jazzamp there is no need for a comp. Interesting. So far here are my thought about pedals: Wha (exotic), env filter (maybe, that would be a 3leaf audio),Origin Revival Drive, dirty/fuzzy overtones running in parallel to the Origin (pigtronix disnortion mini), fuzz (smallsoundbigsound team awesome), octave fuzz (melekko), and then two h9s for all the time based stuff going to the wet amps. I am using a boss es5 for switching.

Where the Zoia fits in IDK... we will see. Maybe get rid of a H9....

Since things open(ish) back up here in CA, I have been working a lot giving lessons again. Kinda scared but I wear a mask and there is a large plastic divider in between the students and I.

Gigs should be opening up here pretty soon. I know that a lot of people I know have lined stuff up. I am supposed to be doing a bunch of small jazz gigs but I do not think my playing is back up to par. There are still times when I pick up my guitar and go ugggg. It is like my brain fried during covid sequester.

Anyway carry on with the pedal madnesses. Peace

Also, the whole small board big board idea... that might have been a crazy idea. Who knows.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
During a period late last year, when the restrictions were lifted a bit, I was able to get to an audition and subsequently got a place as lead guitarist in a covers band. That gave me an excuse to put a pedalboard together, with the small selection of pedals I had (at the time). Typically I'd tend not to use them much, maybe one fuzz/distortion/overdrive into the amp and that would be my clean and dirty tones covered...now it's different. :D I had a surge of GAS/PAS and bought a number of (mostly used) pedals, two Pedaltrain Nano board of different sizes (when I realised they all wouldn't fit on a single board. :) ). Spent a lot of time watching videos and comparing sounds to pedals I already had, to try to ensure I got some different sounds. Still managed a bit of crossover though. Quite a few of my pedals have mode switches, so I can set them up so that they sound different, or have more or less gain applied, depending on the song.

We managed one further get together so I was able to try out the beginnings of my new pedal board, but then things locked down here again. Subsequently I've spent the last 3 months playing around with pedal order, removing some pedals from the 'board but avoiding buying more. I did succumb to a fuzz pedal I saw as B stock last week though: One of the MXR Hendrix mini fuzz. I figured it's different to my other pedals, though to be honest I don't know how much I'll use it with this band, I do write and record my own stuff, so it may help there, or inspire me.

MXR JHW1 Fuzz.jpg

I've got a rechargeable power supply under neath and it works really well. Playing most days for an hour or maybe two I seem to only need to charge it up once per month and it's easy to see if it's getting low as the 4 LEDs gradually extinguish as the battery gets low. I can still use the 'board while it's charging, but this mains-free option just makes it easier to quickly set up when I get the living room to myself. ;)

This is the current state of my main pedal board, space on the end (and a spare power lead) for a 'guest' pedal. I don't usually run with them all on as per the photo...had to be done, but it sounded pretty horrible if I'm honest. :)

Main pedalboard V3.jpg

Not sure whether to try some kind of 'Dumble' style pedal, but maybe I've got something (or a combination) above that covers that sound?

I also have a TS-808 that I've lent to a friend, so will be trying that out on this board too at some point.

My main gigging amp is a Marshall Mini Jubilee head and 2x12 cab. This has an FX loop, so I put the second pedalboard together below to use in the loop. I don't tend to use so many of these FX though, so sometimes, just pinching the reverb pedal and putting it on the end of my main board is enough for me. I guess it won't hurt to post a picture though. :)

The EP boost is used to kick the level up for solos. Maybe a bit of a waste of a nice boost pedal, but I already have the TC Spark on the main board to boost the drive into some of the other pedals: I use that on the 'fat' setting mostly.
Loop pedalboard 2.jpg

I can't wait to start trying the above out with the band, when we're able to rehearse again. :)

EDIT: This is one of the rechargeable power supplies. The pink version was almost half the price of the black one...I don't care about the looks under the board. :)
Under neath pedal board.jpg

Last edited:

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cool boards.

I received the Zoia. There is a learning curve to be able to get the most out of it. Today I was able to build a patch that seems to work really. I did max out the power, but it was running a lot of stuff. I need to get my head around the modular stuff: cv things. I think I know how I am going to run it on my board. The fx sound really good but sound a little thin to me.... there could be a few reason for that so I am not convinced but even when I watch vids, I notice that quality. (Also, ever pedal manufacturers have a sound. Roland/boss push the mids in a way that can be fatiguing.... ect). However, sometimes a little thin can equal foward, and foward in a mix can be really useful. I will see how the pedal runs at rehearsal.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
NorthernGuitarGuy (or less humbly said, NGGod): I love the sound of EHX analog stuff. Personally, I do not think there is a better sounding flanger. Another thing is, if I wire up EHX analog stuff in interesting ways, they create symbiotically extreme cool wierd sounds. Maybe not practical, but so much fun.
I'm humbled! I think you have the wrong guy! More of a guitar gadfly!

However, I have to agree that the EHX flanger tone is by far the creamiest I've ever encountered.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm humbled! I think you have the wrong guy! More of a guitar gadfly!

However, I have to agree that the EHX flanger tone is by far the creamiest I've ever encountered.
I was having a conversation with a local guitar god... you know, there is always some one to point out the weakness of something: he mentioned that he loved the sound of EHX analog stuff also but that EHX stuff breaks way to often. I have to admit, that is also my experience. Out of all my pedals that have broken there has been a handful of EHX, Fulltone would be the next in line... if I looked at it through percentages: Fulltone would be in line first with 2 out of 4. One was not fixable due to gouping. Hmmmm, Idk but I still love ehx.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I was having a conversation with a local guitar god... you know, there is always some one to point out the weakness of something: he mentioned that he loved the sound of EHX analog stuff also but that EHX stuff breaks way to often. I have to admit, that is also my experience. Out of all my pedals that have broken there has been a handful of EHX, Fulltone would be the next in line... if I looked at it through percentages: Fulltone would be in line first with 2 out of 4. One was not fixable due to gouping. Hmmmm, Idk but I still love ehx.
Knock wood...no issues here.

dickjonesify

Reaction score
Well... was my post the last post? I remember when this group was jumping.

Today, after a long wait, I get to pick up the Zoia. Why so long? Ask GC... long story. I also bought a Henriksen jazzamp 110 er. Still seeing if that will work, but it sounds excellent for Jazz. I am running a wet/dry/wet system and keeping the amps easily movable: hence, the jazzamp and two zt lunchboxes. The zt are not perfect for my wet stuff but easy to move. I am back to working with other musicians. I will let you know how well things work after next rehearsal.

I should be able to carry everything in and setup in a few minutes. Everything being: tele (seems to work best for this but who knows maybe a different axe) two zts, one jazzamp, and a huge pedal board. I have not finalized the pedals yet, but have realized that with the jazzamp there is no need for a comp. Interesting. So far here are my thought about pedals: Wha (exotic), env filter (maybe, that would be a 3leaf audio),Origin Revival Drive, dirty/fuzzy overtones running in parallel to the Origin (pigtronix disnortion mini), fuzz (smallsoundbigsound team awesome), octave fuzz (melekko), and then two h9s for all the time based stuff going to the wet amps. I am using a boss es5 for switching.

Where the Zoia fits in IDK... we will see. Maybe get rid of a H9....

Since things open(ish) back up here in CA, I have been working a lot giving lessons again. Kinda scared but I wear a mask and there is a large plastic divider in between the students and I.

Gigs should be opening up here pretty soon. I know that a lot of people I know have lined stuff up. I am supposed to be doing a bunch of small jazz gigs but I do not think my playing is back up to par. There are still times when I pick up my guitar and go ugggg. It is like my brain fried during covid sequester.

Anyway carry on with the pedal madnesses. Peace

Also, the whole small board big board idea... that might have been a crazy idea. Who knows.
Oh it was hopping back in the DAY! Haha ;) Some of us that were around during the “glory days” still chat here and there off the forum.

I sold my pedals and bought a Kemper and remote, which I used solely for 3 years until recently I got the pedal itch again. Kemper is gone and I have a full board and Strymon Iridium now. Still working out the kinks but I’ll get a pic before long.

I’m super interested in the Zoia. Love me some crazy soundscape stuff! Currently using an EHX SuperEgo with a Zoom MS-70CDR in its loop. Lots of cool sounds to be had but it’s no Zoia.

Last edited:

Brocko

Reaction score
Yeah it did used to be jumping on here!!! I found it was costing me too much money - hahaha.

Just for old times sake this is my current set up (i don't actually have the UA Reverb yet, a TC HOF is place holding, but its on preorder). The Fuzz bottom right is a Basic Audio Scarab clone i built, the one next to it is a Superfuzz clone again built by me. The univibe is a Madbean Harbinger 1.5 project.

The Dual Chorus is actually the best sousing flanger i have heard - go figure.

I have also ditched my amp - the Simplifier (top left) is now all the amp i need. It has enabled me to use all my stereo effects - it also doubles as a headphone amp, which has been essential during lockdown!

The 3leaf proton scratches a Grateful Dead itch - i went through a few envelope filters to get there. If you are looking for something similar but less expensive, i highly recommend the CKK Q-Cat. I still have one.

Pedal chain does like this

Fuzz > Superfuzz > Proton > Cali 76 > Univibe > Dual Chorus > Helix HX > Send loop 1 of Helix > Lenny > Dude > Simplifier Input > Retun Loop 1 Helx > Send loop 2 Helix > BuGG FX Daydream > Return Loop 2 Helix > Stereo Output Helix > H9 > UA Reverberator > Stereo return loop Simplifier

This mean i can use the Helix to insert mono effects before the amp or Stereo effects later in the loop. The Cali 76 is always on, as is either the Dude or the Lenny.

Mostly the Helix provides a couple of solo boosts (klon or EP booster), a lovely stereo Harmonic Tremolo, a stereo trick-chorus and some standard stereo delays. It also acts as a gap filling toolbox in case i ever need something else - on one preset i had a Boss OC-2 style effect.. It also controls MIDI for the H9. The Eventide is mostly suppling delays but sometimes some more avant garde stuff.

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 22.55.03.png

Latest Threads