Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I had a sweet tea and loved it, I actually got rid of it to get the BoR because it had too much gain. That was before I got my Voyager and the Twin though, might try one of those again.
The Angry Charlie side is their JCM800 in a box. It's going to definitely be higher gain and has that sizzle. The Charlie Brown pedal is their JTM45 in box, which is what the BOR is. You might try a Charlie Brown V4 and see if you like it. As of right now there is no dual pedal that has the Charlie Brown in it. But it's probably more up your alley than the AC pedal.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Well the Sweet Tea V3 is integrated nicely into the rig. It's definitely a great pedal. I really expected it to be and it is.

I really love this pedal. I think I could probably take that box to a gig and use it as my dirt sound by itself. In fact, I plan to with a show on Labor Day Weekend. It's more of an open jam type of environment with a packed stage and I'll be taking a very much condensed pedalboard (if you even call it that) with a small combo amp (probably my Tweed Deluxe) and one guitar. I think for pedals I'll take the Sweet Tea for dirt and maybe my Line 6 HX Stomp because it can do all the effects.

The Moonshine V2 side is a very thick TS-on-steroids type of sound. I normally hate clean blends so I run it pretty much with 100 percent drive and no clean added in. I'm definitely a fan of that side of the pedal. I use a TS into a clean amp for a lot of great tones and this is probably in the top 5 TS inspired pedals that I would own. It's a great bluesy fat overdrive tone. If you don't like a thick gooey heavy midrange, probably not for you. If you like a D-style OD or just a syrupy tone, get one.

The Angry Charlie V3 side is a JCM800 in a box. More going on than a Plexi/JTM/JMP pedal might have. It's definitely more 80s than 60s/70s. However, I really like it. With a full band EQ you can sculpt it into the perfect high gain Marshall pedal. I'm finding I like it more than the Friedman BE-OD and the JHS AT original version for that reason, which were my two favorite high gain MIABs until now. I use it for solos mostly, and it's got that fluid singing tone that I go for, for solos.

I definitely am a big fan of JHS pedals, I have yet to play a bad one. I kinda want to pick up the Charlie Brown V4 now, because I'm finding that with the full band EQ they added to the latest Angry Charlie (high gain MIAB) and Charlie Brown (low gain MIAB), it would probably be my favorite plexi type pedal (normally it's the ZVex Box Of Rock or Rockett .45).

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
(I love Twin Reverbs. Just too heavy for me).

I pick up a new amp: JC 70. It is strange that it sounds better, warmer then my JC 40. Also the chorus is thicker and juicer, then the JC 40. However I run my stereo time based fx into the JC 40 and a pre-fx into the JC 70. Basically it turns into a wet/dry/wet rig and sounds huge. I also run some modulation into the JC 70, that way I get delay/verb and a deep clean modulation. It is not too bad to carry. A lot better then when I was carrying a Marshall half stack around. It is strange to think I have a stack of Roland. I guess I like being iconoclastic.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Well I just picked up an EHX Canyon...kind of a sad story though.

The local guitar store is closing. These guys sold me my 2nd guitar ever (my first Les Paul!), gave me better deals than damn near anyone else, very friendly, and I've got a lot of great guitars from them. They tried downsizing their location, but they lost their Gibson deal, Fender deal, and PRS deal (not all at once, but over the last 5 years lets say), and they just couldn't do the business. It was a double edged sword, they lost their dealership with those guys because they didn't sell enough and weren't big enough, but yet people wouldn't come in anymore because they didn't carry those brands. It was just a bad deal. They've also done a fair bit of repair work for me too. The repair guy is moving to another store. The owner is going to go full time with his screen printing business. He's been owning two business to keep up and it wasn't enough and he can do more with his screen printing/embroidery business than the guitar shop. I really will miss that store.

Anyway, the TLDR version is that they had a closeout sale where they were taking offers on remaining inventory and I picked up the EHX at close to full price. I really wanted to go in there and show my support and say thanks. I got a cool pedal in the process. My plan is to order an MXR tap tempo box so I can use it for external tap with the EHX. More later.

kboman

Reaction score
That sucks Austin, good for you for supporting them like you have! The big kaijus are not helping the music business in any way :/

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
That sucks Austin, good for you for supporting them like you have! The big kaijus are not helping the music business in any way :/
No it isn't. And I can be just as guilty as anyone else.

I don't shop local every time because of the limited selection, and they keep a limited selection because no one comes by. A few years back I regretfully made a FB post about how I wished local mom and pop stores would get with the times and carry more pedals and boutique brands and another local guitar store owner I was friends with (a different store than I mentioned previously) ripped me to shreds for it. And I can see his point totally. Did he need to go off on me with fistfuls of rage and delete me, no, but he was right in what he said about why they don't do that and he basically said what I said in the first sentence of this paragraph. He said he tried carrying better stuff but no one came by. So I DO get it. I'm guilty.

Roman4405

Reaction score
I had my kind set on a Flashback or an Alter Ego but the Canyon looks very cool. Does it have a setting that’s delay and reverb together? I always use a bit of reverb and a really short delay, I’m thinking that could be a great always on pedal and free up the delay and reverb on my caverns for more stuff.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I had my kind set on a Flashback or an Alter Ego but the Canyon looks very cool. Does it have a setting that’s delay and reverb together? I always use a bit of reverb and a really short delay, I’m thinking that could be a great always on pedal and free up the delay and reverb on my caverns for more stuff.
It's perfect for that and yes it does! I'm using the DMM setting right now for a long slap, and using my Deco for a quick always on slap but you can easily use the Canyon for that. The way the Deco is set is that you can't tell it's doing a whole lot when it's on, but when you take it off it sounds flat. I like an always on almost imperceptible short slap delay/echo.

Roman4405

Reaction score
Me too, I never really knew what to use my delay for but I was listening to That Pedal Show and they mentioned using it as a really short delay with low repeats and it sounds awesome like that. And I love just a bit of reverb, those two together make my sound much fuller. Took me forever to figure out how to get that sound.

kboman

Reaction score
The Flashback is one of my favourite musical devices. It's such a straightforward, simple, unassuming thing and yet I've used it for sooo many things. Not sure about it having a reverb, but I absolutely recommend it.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Got a Catlinbread Belle Epoch recently and am trying to find the "Jimmy Page Echoplex settings"

For boosts, I have the Xotic EP Pre which I quite like.

I got an early version Time Machine Boost recently also.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just ordered one of Sean’s Little China COT-50s.....one of my all time favorite pedals. Love that hand wired Billy FGibbons tone:dude:

Roman4405

Reaction score
The Flashback is one of my favourite musical devices. It's such a straightforward, simple, unassuming thing and yet I've used it for sooo many things. Not sure about it having a reverb, but I absolutely recommend it.
From everything I’ve seen the Flashback doesn’t have a reverb, there might be a toneprint that has a delay w/reverb type setting but I haven’t looked. That’s one of the things that has me looking at the Canyon, keeps me from buying another reverb pedal.

kboman

Reaction score
From everything I’ve seen the Flashback doesn’t have a reverb, there might be a toneprint that has a delay w/reverb type setting but I haven’t looked. That’s one of the things that has me looking at the Canyon, keeps me from buying another reverb pedal.
If you want a two-in-one, have you looked at Earthquaker Devices? There's the Dispatch Master, the Avalanche Run and even Ghost Echo to consider there.

Roman4405

Reaction score
If you want a two-in-one, have you looked at Earthquaker Devices? There's the Dispatch Master, the Avalanche Run and even Ghost Echo to consider there.
I had wanted a Dispatch Master for a while, such a cool pedal. Another thing with the Canyon is the looper. I really want a looper but don’t want to dedicate a spot on my tiny pedalboard for one.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow... I miss this group ... I am still buying pedals

I just tried a kirk hammet (idk about the spelling, and I am too lazy) powerdriver (or something like that). Honesty I really liked it. I should if bought it because now it is gone from GC. Then again I am not sure if I would use it. My board is pretty stable right now. I just need to wire/clean it up right. I still need to find the right fuzz. I am running my fuzz parallel with a dirt, that is set to be cleanish. Sounds pretty close to what I want but still is lacking something. Anyway, what happened to this group?

Roman4405

Reaction score
Finally went and bought a bigger pedal board. Not much bigger, went from a PT Mini to a Junior, but I’m not trying to have a thousand pedals anyway. I got the Gunslinger for $25 used from GC and I think it’s a great sounding distortion as long as I leave the gain all the way up. I needed something for a high gain tone that I don’t use too much anyway and this works pretty well, at least until I can get something badass.

Also got the Alter Ego used from GC and it fills what I needed perfectly. I’m still not good and figuring out how to use delays but I think the tones that they fit in there are awesome plus the looper is a great feature and super simple to use. Now I have room for a chorus too, I’m really interested in the Walrus Julia.
D0B5D3A8-7CE4-4759-B1A4-62B76907FA68.jpeg

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the pic... now I have a some to check out some of the pedals that you have that I did not know about. It also reminded me that I might want to use my old DOD drive on my board.