Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Well I just scored an old handwired Menatone Blue Collar overdrive off of Reverb for what I considered to be a steal. It's a 4 knobs in a row 'fat guy' version. They made another one that had the knobs in a "T" fashion that is slightly older but I hear there isn't much difference. I felt I couldn't go wrong for the price I paid for a handwired Menatone pedal.

I'm pretty excited. I'm a big fan of the old handwired early Menatone stuff (I have the Dirty Blonde which is a Tweed/Brownface in a box and is ace). I'm also a fan of TS pedals and not only that but tweaked TS pedals.

I'm gonna use it as a second stage drive after my light transparent "grit" gain pedal but before the higher gain solo box. Crunchy rhythms and lower gain leads will be this pedals usage. I think that's what I use most TS boxes for. I don't use them to push dirty amps for solos like 95 percent of guys do. I actually like them into a dead clean amp for crunch.

I'd love to get an old Menatone Red Snapper from the same era but they go for stupid money. The Blue Collar didn't get the same love from people the Red Snapper did. The RS was lower gain and had less midrange, more open. I love me some mids and I think I'll get on very well with the Blue Collar. Whether or not it stays on the board long, who knows. But it's a good one to add in my collection and I can rotate them out as I wish. I find that these days to be pretty fun in itself.

So now I wait for it to arrive and plan out how to fit it on the board. It's a bigger-ish pedal so I'll have to play Tetris again!

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a cahnce to play through a wampler tumnus deluxe into a vox 30 with top boost and reverb deluxe. I was getting some nice tones.

I also played a big muff with tone wicker through a 1x13 vox 30. I played with HBs and Jazzmaster PUs. I was surprised by how much I liked that pedal. Last time I checked it out it did not dig it, but I was probably searching for a really funk/strange tone. This time I was looking for a fuzz that cuts through a dirty amp. It worked pretty well but O think I can find something even better.

I have also been playing (while at GC) a Walrus audio 385 pedal. Interesting tones but I do not need it on my board at this moment.

The endless search for new pedals.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
After probably my longest-ever bout of untreated GAS, earlier this week I finally shelled out the ca$$$$$h for an Ethos Overdrive. Rob says early- to mid-June delivery.

Bizarrely, it wasn't until I received the PayPal invoice that I discovered Rob's shop is two towns over from me! Not as big a deal in a place like L.A. or NYC, but I live in Vermont.

Small world

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Well the Menatone Blue Collar is here and it does NOT disappoint!

I think for $130 used, the early handwired Blue Collar is about the best TS-based pedal out there. It is my favorite TS type now. It just sounds clearer, but still has that syrupy thick blues overdrive and has a little more gain on tap without fizz.

Now to hopefully someday acquire a Red Snapper from the same period. I'd have to shell out the dough probably.

Roman4405

Reaction score
Just got a Walrus Voyager, I’m really liking it as a low gain OD, and it frees up my BoR or my high gain needs.

kboman

Reaction score
Big day for me today - first NPD in almost three years! I traded my Lumpy's Tone Shop M-24 for a tc electronic Nova Modulator. I've installed it on the board and hope to have time to try it some day.

drew365

Reaction score
Talk about weird gas. I mainly play through a Helix into a PC+. I just ordered a Bugera Harlow boost and a Friedman BE-OD. Why? I don't know, but I can't wait to get them.

drew365

Reaction score
I'm not planning on using them with my Helix. I have a Blues Cube Artist that I use for jam nights with a small pedal board that works perfectly for me. But your touting of the BE-OD caused a relapse of PAS. I hope you're happy. :thumb:
My board has an always on Xotic EP Boost that sounds great. The Bogner Harlow is an attempt at looking for green grass when I have plenty. I guess I should be proud of myself for not ordering the Bubinga Harlow for an extra $100!:applause:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'm not planning on using them with my Helix. I have a Blues Cube Artist that I use for jam nights with a small pedal board that works perfectly for me. But your touting of the BE-OD caused a relapse of PAS. I hope you're happy. :thumb:
My board has an always on Xotic EP Boost that sounds great. The Bogner Harlow is an attempt at looking for green grass when I have plenty. I guess I should be proud of myself for not ordering the Bubinga Harlow for an extra $100!:applause:
So, what are your thoughts on the Friedman?

drew365

Reaction score
So, what are your thoughts on the Friedman?
I like it. Mainly because it's totally different than the Peacock OD. It can get a little buzzy, but the Tight control takes care of that. I've got the trim pot down around 10 or 11 o'clock and the gain at 9 o'clock. So it has way more gain than I need. But now that I figured out how to tame it, it's working for me. Thanks.:thumb:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I like it. Mainly because it's totally different than the Peacock OD. It can get a little buzzy, but the Tight control takes care of that. I've got the trim pot down around 10 or 11 o'clock and the gain at 9 o'clock. So it has way more gain than I need. But now that I figured out how to tame it, it's working for me. Thanks.:thumb:
It's a great one all right. I would be keeping mine if not for the stellar distortion from my new Orange. Does not diminish the pedal in any way, I just have all I want in this amp.

I just scored a used MIJ Ibanez GE10 EQ pedal. I like these pedals, I have a delay and phaser in a similar case. I think the EQ was from the same line, but they started to paint them different colours. It works great!

Roman4405

Reaction score
Just picked up a Fender Twin, I’m friggin in love with that thing BTW, here’s a pic,
96B3BC1E-5CC5-4E49-93E7-8203DF41F27E.jpeg

Funny thing is that now I’m not getting enough gain out of my Box of Rock. I still like the tone of it and the boost side is great but I need some advice on a straight distortion pedal for when I want to have my high gain fun. I’ve always been a fuzz and OD kind of guy, never paid much attention to distortion pedals. I’m thinking a Rat but want some more ideas.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Just picked up a Fender Twin, I’m friggin in love with that thing BTW, here’s a pic,View attachment 382489
Funny thing is that now I’m not getting enough gain out of my Box of Rock. I still like the tone of it and the boost side is great but I need some advice on a straight distortion pedal for when I want to have my high gain fun. I’ve always been a fuzz and OD kind of guy, never paid much attention to distortion pedals. I’m thinking a Rat but want some more ideas.
Friedman BE-OD. You’ll be done.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I've got a new JHS Sweet Tea V3 headed my way. I couldn't pass it up. And, this is a PSA. JHS Pedals are on discount until May 30th through their dealers. The Sweet Tea for those unaware is their Angry Charlie MIAB and the Moonshine TS-style OD. I think that could be my "take one dirt pedal" pedal. Those are the two types of dirt I use the most. The Double Barrel is more popular, but less gain. It's their Moonshine TS-style OD with the Morning Glory Bluesbreaker-style OD. I think for my purposes the Sweet Tea is a better fit and I'm anxious to get it and start using it. I have high hopes anyway.

I wanted to pick up another one (The Clover) but I contained myself. I love their pedals. Not only do they sound great, they have my personal favorite aesthetic of any pedal maker out there. I probably will buy another one this year sometime.

Roman4405

Reaction score
I had a sweet tea and loved it, I actually got rid of it to get the BoR because it had too much gain. That was before I got my Voyager and the Twin though, might try one of those again.