Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

Kalz

Reaction score
Everyone needs a fuzz, it's basically law at this point

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hector, a TS pedals with the right guitar and amp cam be a wonderful thing. The mini TS is a fine pedal, however; you do have plenty of dirt. Get a pedal that will inspire you to play. Something that connects to you in a personal way. I just do not think you need to be practical given your setup.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
$100 will change your life. :naughty:
It's not just the $100 for the looper. It's the another $300 for a bigger board and new wiring that scares me... Not to mention that if I ever took that step, I would go for a programmable one, which is... mucho dinero.

Hector, a TS pedals with the right guitar and amp cam be a wonderful thing. The mini TS is a fine pedal, however; you do have plenty of dirt. Get a pedal that will inspire you to play. Something that connects to you in a personal way. I just do not think you need to be practical given your setup.

Thanks B. ,I think I am leaning that way too. The Ricochet seems pretty inspirational, not to mention that it would go nicely with the dirt-boxes opening up new possibilities. :)

Batman

Reaction score
Speaking of inspiration, I sold my practice amp (Mustang III) that I keep in my apartment in Toronto last year with the intention of just using Guitar Rig and headphones. The result turned out to be an almost complete stop to guitar playing here as I hated the sounds I was getting.

This past weekend, mostly due to listening to Austin rave about his Micro Terror, I made an impulse purchase of a used one I found on Kijiji.

Again, this was with the intention of playing through a headset as the Micro has a cab emulated headset out.

The results were well less than impressive; the sound was thin, fizzy and generally lifeless. I did swap the stock Chinese 12AX7 with a Tungsol which helped immensely, but there was still an annoying fizzy quality to the sound. I was able to get better sound quality by running the headphone out into my audio interface and adding better quality impulse responses in REAPER but then I was faced with several realizations;

1. I hate wearing headphones while I play and generally hate the sound they reproduce.
2. I dislike (hate is too strong a word) straight amp gain. I prefer a more compressed sound and REALLY hate fizz.

Monday, I purchased a used Bad Monkey to add some compression and alter the overall tonal character of the signal. This helped but now I was short one patch cord to run the signal into the DAW to get the benefit of the IR I found that worked.

Yesterday I went to Long and McQuade to buy a patch cord and a wall wart to power the BM and found (completely by accident) a used Orange PPC112 cabinet.

Long way to say, I've got the start to a new apartment rig for my apartment.

The sound of the Micro Terror through the PPC112 (Vintage 30) is really good! It's a bit of a one trick pony (crunch) but it does that one sound exceptionally well.

I know I've said this before but the Bad Monkey is one of the best inexpensive TS-style pedals out there; not just for the money but best period. I have the Micro set past the breakup point to mild crunch. The Bad Monkey adds saturation and compression but does not really alter the sound of the guitar/amp combination. Yes, it is enhancing the mid frequencies but not to the extent of other TS-style pedals.

Inspired to play again!

Now I just need to bring one or two pedals from home (which I have spare) to build a small pedalboard. . .

Batman

Reaction score
ETA

Total cost so far is $420 including the patch cords, speaker cable and power supply for the BM.

Cheaper than the Mustang it replaced with overall more satisfying tone.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just to put my two cents in...

I spend a lot of time on headphones playing guitar. It is never really satisfying. I have run NI guitar rig. Not a bad program but it always took a lot of messing with to get a usable tone. I always had to run NI on the highest possible CPU setting to get it to sound good enough. I also found Waves guitar program to be a bit lacking. I dig Amplitude a lot more. (Still far from perfect). I am now using Softtube's Vintage Amp Room. I like that one the most. Not too many options but I think it sounds a little more realistic then all the others.

... anyway, that is just my experience. (Amp is best).

Batman

Reaction score
Agree Bede. . .I've run most of those and found the best results using Guitar Rig minus the cab sim then a good IR in my DAW.

Amps are much better!

Batman

Reaction score
It sounds pretty damn good despite not having delay/reverb!

Attachments

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We need a like button. That guitar looks cool next to the Orange cab.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Cool setup Bats! Nice to hear that you found something that works for you. The best headphone practise solution I have found is called "Blackstar HT-1R". The very best cab emulation I have heard and a killer recording solution too.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Scarab Deluxe...? I had (almost) forgot what incredible OD tones you can get out of it. Tonal bliss...!

JohanHaellgren

Reaction score
Aight guys, lets give this Fuzz thing another try. Picked up a Mad Professor Fire Red Fuzz today :naughty:

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Aight guys, lets give this Fuzz thing another try. Picked up a Mad Professor Fire Red Fuzz today :naughty:

Congrats! Keep giving this fuzz thing a try (or more). You have to find the right family (or... families) of fuzzes that works well for you and then you can narrow it down to certain pedals.

JohanHaellgren

Reaction score
Congrats! Keep giving this fuzz thing a try (or more). You have to find the right family (or... families) of fuzzes that works well for you and then you can narrow it down to certain pedals.
Yeah, Ive tried Fuzzfaces Muffs and Tonebenders, but this seems like a more modern fuzz. The tone knob seems highly praised :fingersx:

Batman

Reaction score
Fuzz is tricky. I wrote off Big Muffs after trying the current versions and used Tonebender variants for awhile. (Scarab Deluxe being my favourite)

It wasn't until I started exploring vintage voiced Big Muffs that I found my sound; the circuit right around 1976 (Violet Rams Head) is it for me.

Fuzz seems to be intensely personal so don't give up when a variant doesn't work for you; you just haven't found the right one YET.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Fuzz is tricky. I wrote off Big Muffs after trying the current versions and used Tonebender variants for awhile. (Scarab Deluxe being my favourite)

It wasn't until I started exploring vintage voiced Big Muffs that I found my sound; the circuit right around 1976 (Violet Rams Head) is it for me.

Fuzz seems to be intensely personal so don't give up when a variant doesn't work for you; you just haven't found the right one YET.
You also sometimes need to 'sell' your FUZZ-tone to your bandmates. I thought my Fuzzrite clone had a great unique effect, but the SweatHogs did not dig. However, with my Cornish G2 clone, they love the sound! I was trying to refresh the memory of our lead player by reteaching him the riff for Seven Nation Army using the G2 and my VOX. It sounded glorious and the dudes all commented. Gotta love the pedal that makes your simple chording sound like you're a pro. :thumb: