peavy classic 50 vs. blues junior

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have an older peavy classic 50,and dont play it much in my living room.thinking about selling it and getting something like a blues junior but i want to get a decent classic rock overdrive sound without breaking house windows or the bank.any suggestions?

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Use pedals? Maybe a Classic 30? What's the issue with the Classic 50?

BP5150

Reaction score
I have a Marshall DSL40 that I love. And it does well at bedroom volume in low power mode. I have a blues JR also, but even though it’s 15 watts it’s loud. I think it needs a linear volume pot. I do like it though. Especially when nobody is home!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i guess ive been comparing it to my fender champ XD and wondering why its not as versatile.fired it up today and it actually does a nice clean low volume even if the OD is not quite as good as the fender champ XD (unless of course you take it outside and dime the volume,at which point ears are bleeding)so i guess it stays...

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Have you thought about getting yourself that $100 Brugera Power Soak attenuator, if you have the dough? It might make you fall in love with your Classic 50 again.

I had a similar issue with a Classic 30 that despite a speaker change, was still too middy and muddy at bedroom volumes. However I fixed mine with a Boss G7 EQ (with the Sniper mod) in the loop cutting out the mids, works a treat, but I’ve been tempted to but the Brugera attenuator since discovering it recently.

Funny, I also have a Fender XD, absolutely love it.

hbucker

Reaction score
The Blues Jr is the boringest amp I’ve ever owned.

Boring.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz..........

I agree. I know these are popular amps, but I think they're less popular with the people who like a Classic Rock (Marshally) kind of overdrive. I think the Jr. is better suited for the Country and Blues crowds - which I am not a part of. And the Jr. does seem like the "boringest" amp to me, too.

I feel for the OP though. The Classic 50 is a loud amp and the overdrive doesn't really come alive at bedroom volumes. Yet it would still sound better, IMO at low volumes than the Jr. which would require louder than bedroom volumes to sound its best.

As has been mentioned, an attenuator is a possibility. If a new amp is in order, I would recommend looking at a Classic 20. You would still only be using a fraction of it's over all volume, but would be able to open it up more. The Classic 50 has a great clean channel, IMO, that isn't dependent on volume nearly as much as the overdrive channel. So a decent pedal would be much cheaper than a new amp of any kind.

For practicality, I would vote for the pedal of your choice with a Classic 20 being the second choice. Attenuators don't work well with all amps. So if you try the attenuator, make sure you can return it if you need to. (And make sure you get one rated at 100 watts or more, especially if you're wanting to take a dimed 50 watt amp down to bedroom volumes. Otherwise you'll burn out the attenuator.)

redcoats1976

Reaction score
blues junior is out then.im gonna drag my old boss pedal unit out and see what it does for the clean channel.maybe comparing it to the fender vibro champ XD at low volume levels is not a fair comparison.nobody at home but me right now...gotta go.edit...got out my old rp335 pedal,took the amp out to the back yard and gave it hell.its a keeper...

Last edited:

pillbug

Reaction score
i have an older peavy classic 50,and dont play it much in my living room.thinking about selling it and getting something like a blues junior but i want to get a decent classic rock overdrive sound without breaking house windows or the bank.any suggestions?
Bassbreaker is better at this than a BJr.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
EHX Soul Food punching the preamp jugs in the face just might get you there…..

I have a Delta Blues in my “arsenal” ;) which is a Classic 30 chassis in a different cab with a 15”… I like turning the amp up a bit but lowering the guitar V… Sounds righteous when you bear down on it with a pick… The Soul Food is yet another Klonie but waaaay cheaper… You can keep gain (dirt) on zero but jack up the Volume (boost) to shove the preamp jugs closer to the cliff…

Over at a bud’s studio, his first call guitarist that’s done more sessions than Carter has liver pills only wants to play through a Bassman through a Soul Food to shove the preamp tubes…

ABout any dirt pedal that has a Volume AND a Gain knob can do it. Pure Volume (boost) out may not be exactly transparent, but it’ll work to heat up the ax7s and fatten it up… Start with Gain on pedal at zero and turn the Volume of pedal up until it starts getting a bit spanky… A lot of folks use a boost on all the time AND a dirt pedal for the nasty…

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you actually want an amp that can give you classic rock overdrive at less than window rattling volume, you will need pedals, a modeler, or something that is switchable down to very low power. Aren't there some Orange amps that go from 15 or 30 Watts all the way down to 1 Watt or so? Something like that. Possibly a Marshall Studio Classic in 5W mode, but that's still going to be loud.

guitfiddle

Reaction score
Overdrive at bedroom volumes...not the C50's forte...it's a stage amp. However, with a gain, a channel volume, and a master, you should be able to get a decent tone down low. I used to have one, and yes it sounds better turned up, but then most tube amps do. As ehb said above, slamming the pre amp tubes helps.

If you're set on a small amp to get OD way down low, you need to look into the Orange Rocker 15. It will go down to a tenth of a watt, and you can floor the gain and volume, while keeping it down below TV volumes.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have a fender vibro champ XD thats decent at low power levels.it just makes me feel bad to see the peavy sit unplugged 90% of the time.but when its time to drag it outside and bother the neighbors the C50 delivers the goods.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a Soul Food or some other transparent boost to move the curves on any tube preamp design toward the spanky stank zone without being too loud…..

akuster777

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
of all things, I just picked up a used USA made Crate Vintage Club 20, 2 12ax7s and 2 el84s, ss rectifier, JCM900ish preamp, cathode biased PI, class A voxish power, 10" speaker. not a great amp for cleans, but great for low volume crunch.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even a 5E3 Deluxe, or Tweed Champ is going to be too loud for "bedroom volume" by the time it breaks up.

Attenuator, and/or pedals are going to be the answer if you're stuck on a tube amp.
But today's modeling amps aren't what solid state amps were in the 70s, and something like a Katana, Spark, or Mustang is excellent for practice.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i had an early line 6 spider,it was horrible.the vibro champ XD at least has tubes(tube?) and sounds good at low volume.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I owned a Blues Jr years ago. The amp has potential but cab is too small and so they sound boxey. Avoid.

Now, I own an Orange OR15 and the matching PPC112 cab. This really works. The OR15 has an excellent preamp design that goes from 'Beatles' clean to well beyond classic rock on a twist of the Gain knob. The Volume knob is smooth and progressive and allows easy selection of any volume, low to high. It has a 7w/15w switch. The tones actually make a difference (which they dont on some amps lol).

Now, the OR15 isnt cheap and it sounds like you want a combo. I havent played any Orange combos, but if they are as good as the OR15 they will be exactly what you are looking for.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned a Blues Jr years ago. The amp has potential but cab is too small and so they sound boxey. Avoid.
+1

I have a 1st Gen Blues Jr, and I love it, however, I generally run it through the 4x10 that I built for my Carvin X100.

Latest Threads