Peavey tube amps ?

67rayson

Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about any of the older Peavey tube amps?
Classic VT,VTX,Deuce?
are they any good?which are better?
Any info would be GREAT!
Thanks MLP!
:hmm:

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Peavey makes some very solid amps.
Often underrated, best thing to do is play some and see if they fit your needs for tone.

I even recommend their SS amps over many others for the simple fact of durability.
Own a Studio Chorus 210 and it's not going anywhere for a long time.

Same with the cabs, I have a block logo 5150 that rivals the Mesa's (after tightening the center post).

Sorry if I can't help with those particular models.
I'd avoid hybrids, but Skynyrd guys liked them for their durability (Mace coming to mind).

hellraiser_666

Reaction score
i think they are all very underrated (probably because the fact how ugly they look.......) try it out like cyg said, and see if it fits your bill.

singlecut

Reaction score
bad in the old days, i had a mace. tuff as nails. maybe not a tone king. but it took a beating and never had a problem. i was in a skynyrd tribute band so it fit the bill doing garys parts. we also had a duece and that was good and reliable too.
peavey makes good quality stuff for the working man.
if they didn't they would not still be around.

hbucker

Reaction score
I don't think any PV amp is a mistake as long as you like the sound. As was said earlier, they tend to be very tough, road worthy and reliable.

But the old ones were indeed very ugly...

singlecut

Reaction score
I don't think any PV amp is a mistake as long as you like the sound. As was said earlier, they tend to be very tough, road worthy and reliable.

But the old ones were indeed very ugly...

very ugly is being nice

nauc

Reaction score
i just got a Classic, guess theyve been making them since 1973. i really like it for blues and rock.

ps.. ugly?

dscf0072n.jpg

SonicBoom

Reaction score
I can't tell you much about the Classic VT or VTX, but I have a hybrid Deuce, which is the lower powered version of the Mace. Lower powered by only 40 watts. It still pumps out 120 watts - enough to melt concrete, and it is beyond tough.

As was stated, Peavey amps are underrated, the hybrids even more so. Back in the day, the guys from Skynyrd asked Hartley Peavey to design an amp that sounded like a Marshall. The Mace and Deuce were the result. They are very sensitive to speaker choice though. You have to match them to a good set of speakers or they sound muddy. I run mine into a 4x12 of JBLs and it will sound exactly like a screaming plexi. I'll try to post an example in the coming days.

That said, they aren't everyone's ideal amp. Buy whatever sounds good. You can usually pick one of these up for about $250. The most common Deuces and Maces you see for sale are the VT series which uses op amps in the preamp stages. I've been told that they do not sound as good as the earlier version which uses all discrete components. I have the earlier version.

Deftone

Reaction score
bad in the old days, i had a mace. tuff as nails. maybe not a tone king. but it took a beating and never had a problem. i was in a skynyrd tribute band so it fit the bill doing garys parts. we also had a duece and that was good and reliable too.
peavey makes good quality stuff for the working man.
if they didn't they would not still be around.

I had a Mace 2x12 back in the late 80's. I liked it. Not a great tube amp but pretty good for the money.

Latest Threads