Peavey Deuce

Locher

Reaction score
Hey guys,
first of all: I'm german, so my english isn't quite good. :D

I could get a old Peavey Deuce for 70$. I wanna play (Hard-)Rock like Led Zep, GnR and much Indie-Stuff like the Kooks, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon.
I like the good old Marshall-Sound (Plexi, JCM800). Do you think it could fit?
Has that amp enough gain?
Sound this amp also good at home?

Thanks for help!

Greez,
Locher

EvLectric

Reaction score
If you want the "That Smell/ Skynyrd tone you couldn't do any better!
Can you do all the tunes on a Deuce? Of course! Sound like Micheal Schenkers Marshalls?
Nah...not even close. But can you get the job done with one ?
Absolutely!

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I used to have a deuce and I agree. It's peaveys version of musicmans version of a fender twin. They're loud as crap, the cleans are rather nice but very distinctly "classic peavey". Lynard skinnard cleans are spot on!
The "preamp" distortion in this thing is not my favorite at all. But if you can turn the amp all the way up and keep the pre as clean as possible, you can get some nice sounding power tube distortion. But at over 100 watts it's deafening

For 70 bucks I'd buy one. That's a good price for the amp, and you can always gut the solid state preamp and mod it for a Marshall front end. The transformers and chassis would probably make that worth it, but you might add a filament transformer.

entresz

Reaction score
They're a good amp. Huge headroom. It's a stealfor $70. A good o/d pedal in front of it will give you some great sounds.

SonicBoom

Reaction score
First off, is it a VT series or the older 320T? I have the 320T, which I like better b/c it has a series input and there are no op amps to crap out - all discrete transistors. The series input puts both preamps in series for extra gain. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxFDH81GckQ"]Deuce Series Input Demo[/ame]

That said, buy it for $70. Take along your jock strap or a few roadies when you pick it up. That thing weighs just slightly less than the space shuttle and is every bit as loud.

The Deuce and Mace were designed to sound like a Marshall plexi, so anything you can do with a plexi, you can do with this. GNR may be difficult because Slash is using a modded Marshall with an extra gain stage. The Series input on the 320T Deuce may get you there. The VT series doesn't have a series input, so you may need a pedal out front. Weehbo makes some great JCM and JVM based pedals. This amp and one of those pedals would cost a lot less than a JCM.

Here's a great example of a Marshall plexi. I used to have a YouTube video where I absolutely nailed this tone with my Deuce.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KVRiHr8gc"]'68 Plexi[/ame]

{JAKE}

Reaction score
Wow, for $70 I would definately not pass that amp up.

Latest Threads