Peavey Classic 50 (80's) question

nandakorewa

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy the following amp, the seller claims it's an 80's model and is asking for 490$.

Do you think it's worth the price? and also if you can help identifying the year I'll appreciate it.

The seller says the serial fell of the amp long ago (not sure how much I can trust that, hence the post), the cosmetic condition is quite rough but everything works, attaching photos, Thanks.

82291903_10157798435559761_378097460104396800_o.jpg

Attachments

ErictheRed

Reaction score
No reason to mistrust the seller here IMO. I'd check Reverb or eBay to see how much these have sold for, but they're pretty good amps. Someone else can probably date it based on cosmetics.

Custom53

Reaction score
I played in a Jam festival years ago and I had to use a Peavey Classic 20 and I was really nervous because I didn't know anything about it. But As soon as I started playing I was very Impressed with it. Iliked it so much I went out and bought a Classic 50 Half Stack. And really loved it too. And I liked it so much I wanted even more so I bought a Peavey Classic 100. A truly Great and underrated amp.
Classic 100.jpg

And the First one I ever played. That truly impressed me..!
Peavey Classic 20.jpg

nandakorewa

Reaction score
I played in a Jam festival years ago and I had to use a Peavey Classic 20 and I was really nervous because I didn't know anything about it. But As soon as I started playing I was very Impressed with it. Iliked it so much I went out and bought a Classic 50 Half Stack. And really loved it too. And I liked it so much I wanted even more so I bought a Peavey Classic 100. A truly Great and underrated amp.
View attachment 433045

And the First one I ever played. That truly impressed me..!View attachment 433046
Do you have any idea if it's the old version (80's era), since the condition is quite rough..., also in my area theres a guy selling a classic 20, says hes using it for around 20 years but does not know the exact year it was made, decent condition, and he's asking for 290$, I only plan to use the amp at home however I had my eyes on the 30-50 since they have a reverb channel, 50 has presence and standby which is awesome too.
FB_IMG_1577953490362.jpg
FB_IMG_1577953493287.jpg
received_995884384114808.jpeg

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I think $400 for the 50 and $250 for the 20 sounds about right. Both are great amps!
Agree, and I wouldn't worry too much about what exact year they were made or whether you need to replace a speaker or some tubes or whatever. They are good amps, absolutely incredible value for the money, but they aren't collectible or all that valuable or anything. The year made doesn't really matter if you like the amp, just buy and play them if you want.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I have an early Delta Blues 115 which is the same chassis as a Classic 30 but with a 15" speaker instead of a 12"....

Great amp as are all the Classics....

Custom53

Reaction score
The Classic 20 I played at the Jam show was a 80's. And all the ones I have owned and the Classic 100 I still own are all 80's too.. A Friend of mine bought a Classic 100 Half Stack just like mine for only $500.00.. And I only paid around $700 for mine.. Keep looking if that is what you want. Because the prices are both Low and High.. Just like my Roland Blues Cube, that I really liked too,
Blues Cube.jpg
that I only paid $250 for. And I have seen them from $500 to $750 and to $1500.00. Same thing prices are strange very high and very low. Keep Looking. The Peavey Classic used to be all very Low in price until lately.

nandakorewa

Reaction score
Agree, and I wouldn't worry too much about what exact year they were made or whether you need to replace a speaker or some tubes or whatever. They are good amps, absolutely incredible value for the money, but they aren't collectible or all that valuable or anything. The year made doesn't really matter if you like the amp, just buy and play them if you want.
I am wondering since I also found a guy who selles a Classic 50 which is mint, bright tweed (which I prefer) and hes asking for the exact price, seems like a newer model, are there any differences between the colors or the years? otherwise Id just take that one, I'll be trying it out this week

Attachments

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I don't know how to identify all of the years, personally. I'm not a connoisseur of these amps or anything, just like them a lot. I'd personally get the cleaner one and not think too much about it. There were minor changes to the amp over the years, but I don't know that they matter a ton considering that many people end up doing minor mods to them, swapping out the speaker, etc.

I'm sure that you could find a website dedicated to the Peavey Classics. I know that gilmourish.com has a fair bit of info about them.