Peavey Classic 30 Head - 16 Ohm Only???

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
Oh dear,

I just scored a Peavey Classic 30 head on the bay, and then finished researching it - I think I did it in the wrong order!!

I have an Avatar 2x12 cab which has a total resistance of 8 Ohms (2 16 Ohm Celestion speakers in Parallel), but from what I can tell the Classic 30 head will only accept a load of 16 Ohms.

Obviously there is no way of wiring 2 16 Ohms speakers to present a total load of 16 Ohms. Is there such a thing as a plug in load to make my 8 Ohm cab present a 16 Ohm load to the amp? Can the head be re-wired to accept an 8 Ohm load? Did I just do something really stupid?

Help!!

Gold_topped

Reaction score
Oh dear,

I just scored a Peavey Classic 30 head on the bay, and then finished researching it - I think I did it in the wrong order!!

I have an Avatar 2x12 cab which has a total resistance of 8 Ohms (2 16 Ohm Celestion speakers in Parallel), but from what I can tell the Classic 30 head will only accept a load of 16 Ohms.

Obviously there is no way of wiring 2 16 Ohms speakers to present a total load of 16 Ohms. Is there such a thing as a plug in load to make my 8 Ohm cab present a 16 Ohm load to the amp? Can the head be re-wired to accept an 8 Ohm load? Did I just do something really stupid?

Help!!

I dont know of any dummy load plug, but they may exist. I was doing some research and it seems as though some of those models accepted 8 ohms, does yours specifically say (on the head) that it takes 16 ohms only?

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It should have 2 16ohm outs - can you power each speaker separately?

I've got 2 of the Classic extension cabs (4x10 and 1x15) - you can still find them. I paid about $300/each for mine. Keep an eye on Ebay!

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here is a new style 2x12.

Peavey Classic Series 212 Extension Cab - Tweed - Tone! - eBay (item 270378694665 end time May-22-09 10:08:39 PDT)

As you can see, I love my Classics (C30 and C50 w/ cabs) - so much that I've got my Laney full stack on consignment waiting to sell. I've got less $$ wrapped up in these 2 rigs than I did in the stack, and I use these things all of the time in several configurations. You can still find these cabs, though - but there aren't any on Ebay at the moment.

P1030450.jpg

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
Trouble is I just got the Avatar a few weeks ago - Oh crap! Looks like the Peavey will be back up for sale without me ever playing it.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to wire in a 2nd jack so that each speaker gets powered by each of the 2 channels? Does that make sense? Not that you'd want to do that... just a thought.

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
Sent an email to Peavey to see if they can help. I understand the combo version supports 8 Ohm extension cabinets so maybe there is an easy fix.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I guess I wasn't aware of that. I have a Classic 30 combo, and it just says "extension speaker" at the jack, and on the back plate it says "16 ohm minimum load."

Mike-t

Reaction score
If you decide to sell it I may be interested, let me know...

bad261

Reaction score
The Peavey combo, which I own, switches to 8 ohms automatically when you plug in an extension speaker cable. I presume the head does likewise.

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
Unless Peavey says there is an easy way to rewire it (I did some checking and it looks like the standard output transformer has 8 and 16 Ohm taps) I guess I either need to buy new speakers for my Avatar cab (2 8 Ohm speakers in parallel) or buy another 8 Ohm cab and run it in series with my 2x12 for a total load of 16 Ohms. Does this make sense?

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it should run 8 or 16 ohms according to the spec I saw.

the combos have 16 ohm load internal, so they require an ext speaker of 16 ohms, to equal 8 ohms (that's why the ext jack is marked minimum 16 ohms).

you should be able to use your 8 ohm cab with the head.

see if you can find a manual for the head though. With my Marshall JTM60 combo, to use just an 8 ohm cab requires plugging it into the ext cab jack, not the internal speaker jack (which is set for 16 ohms).

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
Yeah, according to the manual the combo will run either 8 or 16 Ohm speakers, but for some reason the head will only run into 16 Ohms. I am guessing that this was just cost cutting, and that the 8 Ohm tap is still there on the OT. It may be as simple as swapping a wire.
I am still amazed that Peavey would do this as even my $200 Blackheart has 4, 8, and 16 Ohm output jacks.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
does the head not have 2 speaker jacks?

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
man, that's really limiting. Did you contact Peavey?

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
Yes, sent them an e-mail, not expecting a response until Monday. I really hope I can work with it as I hear really good things about this amp. Disappointing that it doesn't have this flexibility, aren't 8 Ohm 1x12 and 2x12 cabs the most common?

Jason

Reaction score
Yes, sent them an e-mail, not expecting a response until Monday. I really hope I can work with it as I hear really good things about this amp. Disappointing that it doesn't have this flexibility, aren't 8 Ohm 1x12 and 2x12 cabs the most common?

Well, they probably wanted you to buy their specially matched cab! Actually, I think the amp was designed as a combo and the head was an afterthought. It shouldn't be too awful hard to rewire to the other tap. I need to crack open my Epi VJ and rewire the 4 ohm to the 8 ohm so I can plug it into some old tiny Marshall cabs.

bad261

Reaction score
Well, they probably wanted you to buy their specially matched cab! Actually, I think the amp was designed as a combo and the head was an afterthought. It shouldn't be too awful hard to rewire to the other tap. I need to crack open my Epi VJ and rewire the 4 ohm to the 8 ohm so I can plug it into some old tiny Marshall cabs.

I looked up the specs and I think Jason is 100% right. It's a shame because the combo kicks butt. The Peavey 2x12 cab is 16 ohms, I guess two 8 ohm speakers in series.
Kinda lame.

Latest Threads