Peavey Classic 20

nandakorewa

Reaction score
Hello, my area of selection isn't big, I found a guy who sells a Peavey Classic 20, told me it's around 20 years old, says its USA made and handcrafted and says all hardware is original, hes asking for 320 USD, is the amp worth it? what can you tell me about it, also is it worth the extra mile to purchase a Classic 30 since this is what I was originally aiming for, attaching pictures and thanks!

Attachments

JMP

Reaction score
Peavey classics are great USA made amps. That Classic 20 is worth the asking price. But, IMHO, Less than $300 would be a good deal. Good luck with the amp hunt.

nandakorewa

Reaction score
Peavey classics are great USA made amps. That Classic 20 is worth the asking price. But, IMHO, Less than $300 would be a good deal. Good luck with the amp hunt.
Aight, thanks for the reply, tomorrow I am meeting with the guy to try it out, in the meantime, I also found a Classic 50 2x12, won't have photos or any info untill the seller gets home, but hes asking for 520 USD, would that be a better deal? since the 50 has a reverb, presence and a standby. I know there is also a 4x10 version. what do you think?

NotScott

Reaction score
I have a Classic 20. It is a great sounding rock/blues amp but it has very little clean headroom. I have done small gigs with mine but I don't require a lot of clean headroom for what I do. It makes for a fantastic studio amp. You can also run it through an extension cab if you need a bigger sound.

The 30 is not as compressed sounding and the 50 tends to stray away from the raucus blues/rock vibe that the 20 nails. I only paid $180 for mine but that was from a bass player who thought it was broke since he couldn't get it to play anything clean. :laugh2:

nandakorewa

Reaction score
I have a Classic 20. It is a great sounding rock/blues amp but it has very little clean headroom. I have done small gigs with mine but I don't require a lot of clean headroom for what I do. It makes for a fantastic studio amp. You can also run it through an extension cab if you need a bigger sound.

The 30 is not as compressed sounding and the 50 tends to stray away from the raucus blues/rock vibe that the 20 nails. I only paid $180 for mine but that was from a bass player who thought it was broke since he couldn't get it to play anything clean. :laugh2:
I am not doing any gigs, and if will I have a 100w bandit redstripe, it will be used home, although the watt isn't really an issue, just wondering regarding sound, functionality and preferences

JMP

Reaction score
If you’re mostly playing at home, I’d recommend the smaller amp. No reason to have a large 2x12 combo for home use........at least that’s my opinion.

sonar

Reaction score
My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think there was some love for the 20. Iirc the combo was discontinued in the early 00's. It might be worth the asking price.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I have an badass early Peavey Delta Blues with the 15"... Same chassis as the Classic 30..... I like all the Classics.... badass amps....

nauc

Reaction score
my Classic 30 only lasted about 3 years, then started acting stupid. got all staticE when id hit the low E up kinda loud

put in new tubes, no help. then it got stolen

bought a Peavey Vypyr 1 to tide me over until i figure out what amp i want next (didnt want another Classic), now the Vypyr is acting stupid

im done with Peavey. i dont gig out and i treat my gear good

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve had the 50w 410 on two different occasions. Should of kept the last one.. I replaced the tubes and still had less than $400 in it. It was the USA built ones too.

nandakorewa

Reaction score
I’ve had the 50w 410 on two different occasions. Should of kept the last one.. I replaced the tubes and still had less than $400 in it. It was the USA built ones too.
Honestly I own a Peavey AMP that is 12 years old for a year already and have had zero issues with it, same for the guy who owned it before me, that is why I am actually looking for another Peavey brand amp.

nandakorewa

Reaction score
Save your money and buy a Marshall
My friend owns a Marshall Haze40 and it does sound good, but Peavey or Fender are looking more attractive, although I am more of a metal player, I heard the classics take pedals really well.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think the Classic 30 has reverb with it, where the Classic 20 does not. The Clean Headroom on the Classic 30 is great, definitely a very loud amp, even though the clean is a little bit plain it is still good, and the amp takes pedals very well indeed.

Last edited:

Caretaker

Reaction score
Offer $250.
Pay no more than $275.
Be prepared to walk away.
He won`t let you.