Pearly Gates makeover NGD

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Hi everyone
This project is finally complete! I have always wanted a Pearly Gates Les Paul, but for the kind of money they bring I figure I would have a makover done with many vintage and high-end repro parts for the same money. So here is my project. I started out with a 2017 CME Les Paul historic reissue. I am particular fond of the Pearly color, but I prefer a more modest flame in the top. Also, I prefer a straight-grained back instead of the wild and curvy grain often seen in many newer historics. After a year of searching, I finally found what I was looking for in this particular guitar. It ticked all the boxes and also has the desired weight I look for in a Les Paul, about 8.7 lbs. I wanted a more recent historic with hide glue construction so that’s one of the reasons for patiently waiting and finding this 2017 CME.

There are two guys I would like to truly thank for their work on this project. First and foremost Andy from BadMojo Vintage Makeovers. He took my vision of what I wanted this project to be and exceeded every expectation. I think his works speaks for itself. As far as Andy goes, it was an absolute joy getting to work with him on this. This is my second time working with him and by far, our most in-depth project. I cannot recommend him enough. Secondy, I want to thank James at ReWind electric. He took my turd of a set of crusty 1959 Centralab pots and turned them into useable equipment again through his restoration. Also, this guitar is powered by a set of his ReWind low-output PAFs. These guys are both the absolute top at what they do. You can find info on them at:

I wanted to go with a lot of actual vintage 1950s parts for this guitar. I also used many high-end repros as well. I sourced most of the vintage parts through Vintage Correct Parts out of Chicago. The parts list is as follows:

ReWind low-output PAFs
Throbak aged PAF covers
Throbak aged Kluson single line single ring tuners
Bartlett cream M-69 rings
Bartlett cellulose nitrate inlays
RetroSpec switch ring washer
MojoAxe aged pickguard
Pigtiail ABR-1
Crazyparts Germany 1959 Gisbon MOP logo
1950s Gibson wrap tailpiece
1950s Gibson long studs
1950s Gibson bushings
1950s Gibson cream jackplate
1950s Gibson wide-bevel truss rod cover
1950s Gibson amber switch tip
1950s Gibson knobs
1950s Gibson pointers
1950s Gibson pickguard mounting bracket
1950s Gibson long-anchor strap pins/buttons
1950s Gibson knurled nut
1950s ABR-1 posts
1950s ABR-1 thumbwheels
1950s Switchcraft jack
1950s Switchcraft no-logo pickup selector switch
1959 Centralab pots (134929 pot codes)
1959 Sprague bumblebee caps
1950s Belden 2-conductor wire

Andy at BadMojo completed the following work:
Refinish entire guitar
Install cellulose nitrate inlays
Re-Stamp CME serial number with "pearly-correct" 9 1171
Install era-correct MOP gibson logo
Spray era-correct Gibson Les Paul Model silkscreen
Light-to-medium aging on the guitar
Set up with the parts in the list above provided

Now lets see some pictues!! I’ll take more this weekend. These are from Andy and James themselves. First is the original CME photo for comparison:

Last edited:

Truth011

Reaction score
A STUNNING BEAUTY! The top carve is one of the best I've seen. How is the neck?
Do you know the neck dimensions?

ESchmidt

Reaction score

Truth011

Reaction score
The neck was listed as “59 historic spec” in the spec sheet. Here is a link to the original listing at CME. I believe it may have the Carmelita neck and top carve as those were specs of this run.

Looks like a keeper. Play the hell out of it.
:cheers:

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks outstanding! Andy does great work. The logo was a really nice touch. Congrats on having it back and going for exactly you wanted!

DanD

Reaction score
All I can say is wow! Awesome work and it turned out far better then when it left Gibson.

Congrats! :cheers:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
I'm just curious … How were you able to source all those 1950s original parts?

ESchmidt

Reaction score
A company in Chicago, Vintage Correct Parts was very helpful in sourcing all of these parts. A few I was able to get through Reverb as well.

BadMojo

Reaction score
I just wanted to drop in and thank the MLP community for being so kind. I appreciate all the love. Working with Eric on this project has been a blast!

Kudos to James at ReWind his PAFs are amazing! If you guys/gals are ever in the market for a killer sounding pickup, I’d give him a call.

douglennon

Reaction score
I am tempted!
The only thing I am not into to my CC#7 is the factory finish, it just doesn't have that vintage glassy, plasticizer-free type of look. Definitely going to work with Bad Mojo soon:dude:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eric, that is an ABSOLUTELY amazing guitar! Truly special. Every square inch is jaw dropping.

Kudos to James at ReWind his PAFs are amazing! If you guys/gals are ever in the market for a killer sounding pickup, I’d give him a call.
Thank you very much, Andy. I've been impressed by your work, as well, and this guitar is a perfect example to why!