pearloid questions

shark

Reaction score
I was of the thought that the block inlays on my LPC were M.O.P. because I read this...
from wiki about pearloid
Gibson uses it as a substitute for the mother of pearl inlays in the fretboards of their less expensive guitars.
. on just there LESS Expensive guitars?
from a wiki link
A great example of pearloid use is in the trapezoid-shaped fingerboard position inlays on a Gibson Les Paul Standard. In contrast, the upscale Les Paul Custom uses real mother-of-pearl block inlays.
Well I went to the Gibson site and they says the LPC has pearloid not M.O.P...

I dont know what pearly stuff is but it looks real to me...I cant find any specs on these unofficial Guitar Center '68 LPC custom shops other than they have solid mahog body,one peice skinny neck with the long tenon, 57 PAFs....

I was noticing that just about everyone these days uses abalam or some kind of manufactured product for the shell appointments.
We trying to be animal ,conch and clam freindly. Can you tell the difference? I really cant to be honest...I was just curious and you guys know it all!!!

disom007

Reaction score
Lightly scrape your teeth over it. If it's smooth, it's NOT MOP. If it's gritty feeling, it IS MOP.
That might sound funny but that is the way to tell for sure.

shark

Reaction score
:thumb: its gritty and feels sandy...I more cunfused now..maybe that was another special feature of the 68 LP GC's ordered was M.O.P inlay ...Im more impressed with this LPC every time I pick it up...thanks man!! settles that...is what started this was I saw an LP which obviously had the block inlays done in green paua...on some guitars the paua looks really nice and lights up like opal..but "Real" MOP to me is classier on the LP Customs than some green or purple or blue shell stuff...the gold MOP would have been nice too use also on the customs as it looks aged :)

Latest Threads