Pearl Tuner Replacement On 1961 Reissue SG

omm

Reaction score
I have a 61 Reissue SG from the 90's and was told by a tech the machine heads need to be replaced.
(These have the pearl buttons.)
Are these available as a direct replacement, without drilling new holes?

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Grover Deluxe 135N are direct replacements.
Same tuner as the stock Gibson Deluxe, but much lower cost.

omm

Reaction score
Thanks.
Who makes the original tuners - Gibson?
Or are they farmed-out to another manufacturer?

strayedstrater

Reaction score
'90s tuners were probably Schaller.

Ping, Gotoh, Grover, Kluson, TonePros, others all make (or rebrand) tuners in that style -- they'll all fit your guitar perfectly.

Many of those companies make upgraded modernized versions with higher gear ratios that are also drop-in replacements.

There are locking tuners with the same baseplate. (Some require reaming the post holes.)
-----------------------------
Tuners rarely wear out. What symptoms are they displaying? Clicking, skipping, grinding?

If the tech is blaming the tuners for tuning instability, it's far more likely he hasn't mastered the somewhat tricky art of cutting Gibson nut slots.

omm

Reaction score
This guitar was in a flood, and sat for some time, so I had to lubricate them just to get them to function again.
Just one of the tuners seems to stick when tuning down.
The tech is good, so I don't think he's off base here.
(Gotoh has good reviews, but I don't seem to see a matching replacement from them.)

strayedstrater

Reaction score
This guitar was in a flood, and sat for some time, so I had to lubricate them just to get them to function again.
Just one of the tuners seems to stick when tuning down.
The tech is good, so I don't think he's off base here.
(Gotoh has good reviews, but I don't seem to see a matching replacement from them.)
I apologize for doubting your tech. Moisture could certainly damage unsealed tuners.

Cerebral Gasket may have been implying that the stock tuners could be opened up and cleaned up. But unless you can do it yourself, labor hours would be expensive.

Worth it on a '50s Les Paul, but probably not on a '90s reissue. (Save the stock tuners, because in the future your guitar may be worth refurbishing them.)

Gotoh does make ones that will fit.

But the stamped bases don't look as good as cast bases, and the backs look pretty generic. (They do have higher gear ratios than the originals, they're smooth working and durable -- they just look more like generic Fender than classy Gibson.)

The company that first made that style of tuner was Kluson, and they're generically referred to as "Kluson style" tuners. Certainly worth checking out.
-------------------------------
As I said, short of floods it's rare for tuners to wear out. There are '80s and '90s sets of your tuners on eBay for not much more than new tuners.

If you buy new ones, you won't go far wrong with any of the name brand "Kluson style" tuners.

Jungle

Reaction score
@omm
The best choice and historically correct is SCHALLER Deluxe double ring tuners :

SG Standard TBK 182.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads