Pearl Les Pauls - Which wood are they made of?

Slash1983

Reaction score
Hey guys,

the title speaks for itself. I didn't find many Threads about them but could you maybe help me?

Thank you!
René

reborn old

Reaction score
The one Pearl LP control cavity pic I have looks like solid mahogany,
but Matsumoku did use ply-laminate construction when called for in the 70's along with 3 piece maple necks.
You would need to get a production date or a control cavity pic for the guitar you're interested in, to be sure of materials used.
Based on other LP brands manufactured by Matsumoku, mid 80's examples will almost certainly be all mahogany with maple tops.

warmachine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

the title speaks for itself. I didn't find many Threads about them but could you maybe help me?

Thank you!
René

Check the link to see a real nice set neck Pearl Les Paul. I'd suspect Mahogany back bodies and maple necks for the most part,
which seems to be typical for 1970's les paul copies. For the guitar top though...not always obvious. If it's a set neck high end
I'd expect a "solid" maple top, which many tout adds to the great les paul tone.

"Bent ply tops" on Ibanez guitars for example used maple, ash, birch. Pretty much that was a decision based on whether the wood
grain would be showing. Non of em I bet add or detract to the overall tone cause they are so thin. On a solid color like black I'd bet on the less choice wood and least expensive.

There are some cues you can use to tell if it's a high end guitar, or budget plywood guitar. Show pics if you have them.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-single-cuts/173708-pearl-les-paul-custom.html

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
Didn't Pearl have it's own factory in Taiwan, back in the time (late 70s early 80s) ?

AFAIK the early Epiphone Genesis models have been made there....

so it could be Pearl made their own guitars in Taiwan, too :hmm:

pepe pereira

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thank you!
René
Pearl guitars by the same company as the drums based on the similar logo. According to the example from a Pearl acoustic guitar below they were made by Hayashi. Both electric and acoustic guitars.
Image 1970s Pearl acoustic guitar found on jedi made by hayashi