Pearl - Les Paul

Tulip

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I recently started on a journey to finally own my own Les Paul copy. Thanks to the tips and hints from members here that helped along the way. After learning that cheap shipping from Japan to Australia is pretty much impossible right now I found this Pearl locally today. Might be a bit scrappy for some tastes but I like it and it plays really well.

Here are some pics for those interested. The seller said it was a 1970's model and Japanese made.

I have found a line under the lacquer at the base of the headstock (see pics), does this indicate a neck repair at some stage? Are the hairline cracks where the neck joins the body anything I need to act on before they get worse? How do I take care of her now - oil the fretboard, etc, any tips?

Thanks.

Attachments

BKS

Reaction score
That fretboard needs some dna removed from previous owner.... :hmm:
The line you see is the joint the added on tge headstock in the factory.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, clean it up good, especially that fretboard (naptha on that, followed by some mineral oil).

Agree, the line on the headstock is a different piece of wood. You can clearly see the grain changes.

As for the neck joint, if it is solid, and it looks like it probably is, I would just leave it alone.

Upgrading the tuners would be a good idea as I think you will find those are fairly sloppy. They were common on many 70s and even early 80s guitars.

Tulip

Reaction score
Yes, clean it up good, especially that fretboard (naptha on that, followed by some mineral oil).

Agree, the line on the headstock is a different piece of wood. You can clearly see the grain changes.

As for the neck joint, if it is solid, and it looks like it probably is, I would just leave it alone.

Upgrading the tuners would be a good idea as I think you will find those are fairly sloppy. They were common on many 70s and even early 80s guitars.
Yeah I think the neck is solid. Here are a couple more pics. I've never owned anything that seems this well put together - especially for its age! Seems pretty much original condition.

I'm going to follow your advice. I googled naptha and got this which seems to be quite detailed on how to clean her up a bit:

Anyone able to guess the wood? I tapped behind the bridge and it seems solid. So with the added headstock you guys identified for me I'm guessing 4 pieces of wood in total?

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm not sure what wood it's made from. It may even have veneers on the top and back.

Naptha is safe for cleaning any guitar wood, whether it's a nitro or poly finish. I clean all my fretboards with it and guitar bodies as well. It's also great for removing adhesive, whether it's from stickers someone put on a guitar or tape after doing fretwork.

BKS

Reaction score
Of you look in the pickup cavity you could see if your top is solid, ply or even 'hollow' (bend in arch) etc.

Latest Threads