Pearl Les Paul Custom

Dynabyte

Reaction score
I'm not a frequent poster here on this forum but I wanted to share a guitar I've had for a while. This sub-forum is prolly the best place in cyberspace to do so. I'm a LP junkie and have had several Gibsons, Epi's, and others. 70's Japanese copies always catch my eye though.

This Pearl Les Paul Custom was purchased a few years ago. There's not alot of info out there - based on what I've read it's probably early-mid 70s. The body is 3 solid pieces of mahogany. The fretboard is rosewood and looks Brazilian - and even has nibs. It's pretty heavy, and spot-on feel-wise to a Gibby LP Custom. Yes - it's the same logo as Pearl drums as this was one of Jack Westheimer's guitar ventures. Just wanted to share some pics - it's been modded with a set of burstbuckers pulled from a 3K Gibson Custom LP and a new harness. You can see the expansion of the mahogany pieces in the body - there's finish lines on the top and back. Anyways - if anyone here has info about Pearl guitars - please share! There isn't alot of info available ;)

It's an awesome guitar - was a wreck when I got it. The folks who made these were craftsmen though and it's a keeper :)

BMS

Reaction score
A friend of mine had one just like that. Wasn't a bad guitar.

JSJ-LP

Reaction score
That looks pretty good. I wonder if anything could be done about the lines. I actually like that headstock inlay and the fretboard looks great. Only thing I'd change would be some maybe some mirror knobs or cream speed knobs. How does it sound?

rayspang

Reaction score
FYI:

Instruments previously produced in Italy starting in the late 1970s (production then moved to Japan). Production ended sometime in the early 1980s. Some acoustics produced by Hayshi.

The Pearl trademark appeared on a number of instruments manufactured (at first) by the Gherson company of Italy. These medium quality guitars featured both original designs on some models, and copies of classic American designs on others. Production of Pearl guitars moved to Japan (circa 1978-1979) and continued on for another couple of years. Although Italy had a tradition of guitar manufacture throughout the years, the cheaper labor costs that Japan was featuring at the time eventually won out in production considerations. Source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Guru's Guitar Guide.

Dynabyte

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. It sounds really good with the custom Burstbuckers and the harness. I'm pretty sure though that this is from Japan - I've got a Memphis set-neck Standard that was made by the same guys (identical trussrod cover, inlays, fretboard binding, body construction, pickup and cavity routes, orientation of bridge to controls, etc. etc.) and used to have a Cortez that shared features as well.

fabistn

Reaction score
beautifull guitar!!! i love japan Lps! matsumoku/westeheimer rules!

wild turkey

Reaction score
I had a tobacco sunburst one in the early 80s, my first electric
A good solid guitar, matsumoko made
they came with dimarzios as standard

Loved that guitar!

dybmowst

Reaction score
Hey

I have one of these (Pearl LP in black), its in real good condition and it sounds great, it is totally stock. Anyone know how much they are worth as I am thinking of selling it after having owned it for 30 odd years, its always been cased ... it has only a couple of 'hardly noticeable' knocks!

warmachine

Reaction score
Those seam lines forming are common on those 3 piece tops. Paint and wood and temp/humidity fluctuations. Very common.

With all those factory specs that must be their top of the line model ;)

How chunky is that neck?