Paying new price for a used standard?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you? I have noticed in the U.K. in the last month or so, people are asking new money for their older standards, to be fair the 4 or 5 I have seen have reissue quality figuring, but would ya? One I saw for sale last year was £1600 the buyer reposted it for £1875, just seen auction ended, although eBay now show it sold for £2274. Not sure isf that’s an error, as the r8 I sold last year for £2890 shows as sold for £3599 in my listing history.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Without getting into the politics of it, didn't the UK recently agreed to some deal? Wouldn't that cause the price of most things imported from US to rise? I'd imagine that's the cause.

That's just my guess

geddy

Reaction score
Prices in the uk, particularly 2nd hand, are currently barking. I suspect there will be an adjustment post covid although I'm sure brexit will be used as an excuse for higher prices.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s this last month and I wonder if it is brexit related now it’s been mentioned, all goods coming in from Europe will have 20% vat added regardless of new or used. U.K. sellers are adjusting accordingly maybe? Or all of the above, shortage of guitars, brexit, COVID, people are looking to make money anyway they can at mo, look at situation with nvidia gen 2 rtx cards, selling for double retail price on eBay.

Last edited:

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it is more a case of prices for used guitars increasing in line with inflation over time.

I paid £1,250 for my 1991 LP Custom in 1994. It is worth far more than that now.

I paid £1,820 for my 2009 '08 Standard in 2010. Worth as much if not a little bit more now.

Market forces, that's all.

:dude:

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Import fees & VAT have always been a factor in buying USA guitars in the UK, so no real change there due to Brexit, I would think.

Doesn’t seem to be any shortage of used Les Pauls for sale either - tons of new listings on eBay, Reverb and Gumtree every day - Standards, Historic Reissues etc...

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Yes, used prices do seem to be going up since the pandemic by $500 to $1000 on most USA Gibbons on Reverb. I wouldn’t pay new prices for used. I’d wait to see if prices drop. I paid about $1500 for a used Trad a year before the pandemic but prices are crazy now, nothing much under $2000, some as high as $2800.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy local or by store transfer via my local store. L&M's used pricing is very competitive and in most cases a lot better than Reverb or ebay. Private sellers make their own valuations and charge whatever the market will bear.

I can buy a used 2019 USA LP Junior for $1000 US or a demo 2019 Trad for $2000 US, which is the low end of current pricing on Reverb and there are no shipping charges or border worries.

I have never bought a guitar via a private seller.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Supply and demand. If you want it and the supply is low you're going to pay more. Prices on used guitars are way up.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is more a case of prices for used guitars increasing in line with inflation over time.

I paid £1,250 for my 1991 LP Custom in 1994. It is worth far more than that now.

I paid £1,820 for my 2009 '08 Standard in 2010. Worth as much if not a little bit more now.

Market forces, that's all.

:dude:

I like your fretboard neck tie.....really cool.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Probably about the same supply but way more demand. It still equals a short supply for the demand. You might be seeing a lot stuff on eBay and Reverb That never cells because it’s marked up too much. The retail stores and retail used market is definitely low. Guitar center does not have nearly as much use stuff online as they typically do not even close. So no there’s not really a shortage I just think the demand is up so it makes a sellers market.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
since i posted this seen a few more, some are trying to get £2.5k for flame top standards, strange times.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
it's a good time to be a guitar seller right now. I also saw a standard 2010's for $2500 (basically you can get brand new)

It's up to buyers if they want to pay up or not... The math doesn't add up to me, so I just shrug and move on. A week or two later I see a brand new with hang tags listed for $2,500 .. which you could probably haggle down to $2,400 ish... anyway, just saying that it's really your choice if you want to pay up a used instrument or just wait a couple of weeks for the stock to come back

mjross

Reaction score
Here’s the thing, dealers have nothing in stock! Preorder takes forever. It’s the bird in the hand thing.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Before we go on talking about scarcity of new instruments, are we comparing apples to apples? I mean, the Standards from at least from 2015 to 2018 (2019 models from previous leadership released in the fall of 2018) were very different from what’s a Standard today. A better price comparison would be between the current Standards and previous years Traditionals.

Latest Threads