Pay as you go driving!

lancpudn

Reaction score
Are we entering an era where subscription driving will be the norm? I was amazed reading about one chap who was driving his BMW 530e at night & wanted to try the 'High beam assist' when he pressed the button he was presented with a message on screen asking for £179 to activate it via QR code on a mobile phone :wow:

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Are we entering an era where subscription driving will be the norm? I was amazed reading about one chap who was driving his BMW 530e at night & wanted to try the 'High beam assist' when he pressed the button he was presented with a message on screen asking for £179 to activate it via QR code on a mobile phone :wow:

One more good reason for not upgrading to the new technology...

cheers.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
It seems the dealerships cant make as much money on BEV's as they did servicing ICE vehicles so they're parting you from your hard earned by new methods it seems.
Sure does seem that way...

How long before they make a vehicle for the common people that has a coin slot or card reader in the dash?

cheers.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a feature option, that would normally be paid for when car was ordered? From what I read into it anyway. It’s not high beam, but high beam assist, it turns it off when oncoming cars appear.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bought my wife a new Lexus a few months ago. The remote start feature is done via the Lexus phone app. The app is free for the first couple of years, but after that time there is a subscription fee to use the app.

When you live in Maine, remote start is an extremely handy feature. Every other car we've owned had the remote start as a button on the key fob.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long before they make a vehicle for the common people that has a coin slot or card reader in the dash?
cheers.
Don't laugh. My guess is that eventually everyone will be forced to buy an EV because the .gov will not allow us peons to buy good old petrol.

ETA: New business opportunity: Inner-city rickshaw company.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a feature option, that would normally be paid for when car was ordered? From what I read into it anyway. It’s not high beam, but high beam assist, it turns it off when oncoming cars appear.
Sadly, not surprised.

Howard2k

Reaction score
I don’t understand the issue. It’s an optional extra that can be enabled after purchase. You don’t have to buy it, you can just choose not to.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In
I don’t understand the issue. It’s an optional extra that can be enabled after purchase. You don’t have to buy it, you can just choose not to.

In my case with the Lexus it was only after I signed the paper work that I learned the option had a subscription fee after two years of ownership.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IF they actually lowered the price of the 'base' vehicle, and thus let the customer customize their added extras and features, a-la-carte, then that would be a good thing. Why pay for a big feature package or trim level, if you don't want all of it.?

BUT

I am willing to bet that is NOT what is happening. Likely paying much more to get the same as you used to. The above a la carte approach would make more sense for budget, mid range priced cars. But, seeing it on luxury cars, points to a money grab.

PapaSquash

Reaction score

The sensors that detect oncoming headlights to control the high beams are already in the car, so you can be sure that you paid for them already. The fee is to enable them.

This is relatively normal, decade-old technology too. My wife's nine year old Lexus has auto-dimming high beams.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sensors that detect oncoming headlights to control the high beams are already in the car, so you can be sure that you paid for them already. The fee is to enable them.

This is relatively normal, decade-old technology too. My wife's nine year old Lexus has auto-dimming high beams.
More like decades. GM had "Autronic Eye" auto dimming headlights in 1952 on Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles, followed by an option for it on the others in 1953.

Latest Threads