Pawn Shop score !

RicOkc

Reaction score
I was visiting my friends guitar shop last Friday. He's a luthier and owns a small shop and also sells/buys used instruments & amps.

Anyway.......A customer comes in and has a Les Paul Deluxe that he had just purchased from a local pawn shop and he wanted it checked out and set-up.

The pawn shop had the guitar listed as a 2004 and the customer bought it for $850 USD. That's still a crazy low price for a Les Paul Deluxe, but here's the great part of the story.

The guitar actually turned out to be a '79 Les Paul Deluxe!

The pawn shop looked at the serial number and mis-read it as a 2004 using modern Gibson serial number dating.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's odd,... cuz a 2004 and 1979 use the same serial format.......... dude must have been seriously confused.:hmm:

And if he used the latest format style it would have started with a 04xxxxx which isn't even close to a 1979 or even exist.

New format started in 2014....... and looked something like this 14xxxxxx and the following years continued like this to present day and i have heard recently that it has returned to the old format?? YdddYxxx (don't Know)... There is no regular USA production serial number starting with an 04 after 1977..... maybe before? Those numbers before '77 confuse me.

Crack head in a pawn shop doesn't surprise me.....

Last edited:

Red_Label

Reaction score
Gibson's serial numbering = LOL. But a great score for the customer!

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
The pawn shop robbed someone in this deal..... they barely loan 10% for what they sell it for. That $85 from a bozo who didn't know what they had.......... like @HardCore Troubadour said..... doesn't make sense.

RicOkc

Reaction score
You guys and obsessions with pictures. Sorry I don't go around taking pictures of other peoples guitars.

The serial number didn't start with a "04". It actually started with "00004".

Sorry guys but I'll take the word of a luthier with 40 years experience.

It was a Norlin Gibson Les Paul with the typical pancake body and volute.

Last edited:

RicOkc

Reaction score
Without pictures, this is just a bunch of words that I'm not willing to read.
Won't read a post without pictures?????????

So sad....think of all the great books you're missing out on.

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Ok, so two people here say the luthier is wrong, no pancake bodies in 1979 and no Deluxes in 79 or 04.....

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
You guys and obsessions with pictures. Sorry I don't go around taking pictures of other peoples guitars.

The serial number didn't start with a "04". It actually started with "00004".

Sorry guys but I'll take the word of a luthier with 40 years experience.

It was a Norlin Gibson Les Paul with the typical pancake body and volute.
OK........ so how does that number equate to a 1979. a '79 would be ........ 7xxx9xxx........

Here is a 1978 LPC serial number and it's the same format that other Les Pauls used at the time and up to 2014.
IMG_1894.jpg

Yup..... pancake bodies are done with in 1977.

Last edited:

Breezin

Reaction score
Sounds like the pawn shop mistook a 74 for 2004 and the luthier misread the 4 as a 9
Glasses all around for everyone.

jkes01

Reaction score
Sounds like a ‘76 based on the 00 serial, volute, and pancake body.

I was working in a friend’s SG last summer and he told me it was a ‘67. Some things didn’t add up like it had a volute and the serial number started with 00. Came across this to validate.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, why would the OP lie about that? Pics would be great, but I'll take his word for it.

Latest Threads