Pawn shop find - $50 Marshall CODE 25

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
When the Code first came out, I contemplated either a 50 or 25, leaning towards the 50. A few people recommended the 25, but after some negative reviews here, I passed.

Today, perusing the classifieds, a pawn shop had a Marshall amp for 50 bucks US (65 CAN). No description. Expected a roached MG15 or something. Looked at the pic and it looked like a Code. Looked closer and could just see the top part of CODE on the panel. And an LCD. Thought... is there a cheap Code below 25? Googled. Nope. Rushed over. CODE 25! Tested it out. Worked fine. A little dusty. Some little scuffs on a corner. Food crust or something on a couple buttons and the side. When taking it to the till, the manager told the employee that's way too low. Can't sell it that low. No money in that. I piped in that's why I'm buying it. 50 bucks with a 6 month warranty!

Got it home and scrubbed and disinfected the thing. Buffed it with Armour All. Looks practically new. The panel is perfect. Then it got a factory reset and firmware update. Never was updated. Plugged it in. Bluetooth connected no problem. First impression. Man, it's loud. Man, it's bright! Man, it's bassy! But mainly bright. Doesn't sound boxy except on a few presets. Turning down the brightness didn't do much. Tone knob on the guitar got it perfect. Really impressed with the main amp presets. Plexi is bliss. JTM is too. The DSL preset with a 1960 cab sounds pretty close to my actual DSL through a 1960. Increasing the "power amp" volume adds nice body and compression.

I'm very impressed with it. Great for the TV room, especially with the app. Can have it across the room and adjust everything. Most here hated the app, but I much prefer it. No laptop needed. Just my phone that is with me all the time anyway. Probably my best buy percentage wise. Yesterday I saw a used one at the guitar store for 189 CDN plus tax.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
Wow. Great price. I thought $250 for a new 50 watt code was a good price. I’ve been tempted for a month on one. Then the new 20 watt DSL came out for double the price. But still affordable.

I’m seeing a Marshall in my future. Just don’t know which one yet. Waiting for the Origin to hit the shelves too.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Thanks!

Nice acquisition!:thumb:
Thanks! First pawn shop acquisition. Hope it doesn't start a buying spree.

Wow. Great price. I thought $250 for a new 50 watt code was a good price. I’ve been tempted for a month on one. Then the new 20 watt DSL came out for double the price. But still affordable.

I’m seeing a Marshall in my future. Just don’t know which one yet. Waiting for the Origin to hit the shelves too.
Yeah, it's a good time to be a Marshall fan with a budget. I'm the same way. Wouldn't mind a DSL head, but that Origin is the most tempting. Can't go wrong with any of them for what they do.

Latest Threads