Paul Kossoff's tone/gear

dubyatf

Reaction score
Good stuff Woody! 'All Right Now' - sounds overdubbed to me - like he played back over himself (I'm far from a recording expert that's just the way it sounds to me). My '87 LP with an older Seymour Duncan in the bridge and through a Marshall DSL - sounds a lot like PK's tone. In fact I have a hard time getting away from that tone in general (to my ears). My tone could be far worse I guess - LOL!

Blues Power

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
PK is another great one who was taken from us way too soon.
Forget ARN its the intro to "The Hunter" that made me want to learn to play :)
after that it was the solo to ARN. I leanred all about how to use major pents from that one.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
+1 Agreed. A masterful user of vibrato and understated playing. Rolling solo's that never confused the ear. Super stuff!

JW123

Reaction score
Hey Woody Tone,

Thanks for putting this up. I have never seen that video before. It sounds really good, and yea he had an amazing vibrato in the live video, way more than the studio version we are all used to hearing all these years.

Ive got a very stupid question Im sure. But why does Rodgers have the double mic setup. I was watching some other older era videos recently and a lot of them have the double mics on vocals. Just curious.

Tons of Sobs

Reaction score
I was inspired to dig into his All Right Now tone, and his tone in general. Published what I found on my blog at the link below. Wasn't much out there published on his gear at all, so please note any mistakes or additions. Looking for more info!

WoodyTone! - Paul Kossoff’s ‘All Right Now’ Tone
The Selmer T&B sounds plausible to me. I saw Free live several times - and about four times after ARN was released. Koss never got that tone from either his Marshalls or his HiWatts.
Strange thing though - to me at least - that's not the real Koss's tone. That's to be found in the tone of the chord work in Be My Friend, the solos in The Hunter and Mr Big, the intro chords of Fire & Water, Ride on Pony, and most of all in the driving boogie shuffle of The Highway Song. He nailed those live every time.

Shivers up my fucking spine just thinking of it :applause:

J

Tons of Sobs

Reaction score
.. and now that I'm on a Koss rant, he was only a CHILD ffs when he did all that.

Every bit as significant - maybe even more IMO - as Page and Hendrix.

tom1965

Reaction score
The Selmer T&B sounds plausible to me. I saw Free live several times - and about four times after ARN was released. Koss never got that tone from either his Marshalls or his HiWatts.
Strange thing though - to me at least - that's not the real Koss's tone. That's to be found in the tone of the chord work in Be My Friend, the solos in The Hunter and Mr Big, the intro chords of Fire & Water, Ride on Pony, and most of all in the driving boogie shuffle of The Highway Song. He nailed those live every time.

Shivers up my fucking spine just thinking of it :applause:

J
Koss was the classic example of THEE LES PAUL tone ! As for his style , wow , so much emotion and feel , great example of the less is more approach , none of the 100 mile an hour crap just tone tone tone !

WoodyTone

Reaction score
I've been trying to nail the TONE of the ARN riff, and it's tough! (for me). I think a big part is the strings -- I like 9s, and they just won't do it, even at volume.

Tons of Sobs

Reaction score
I've been trying to nail the TONE of the ARN riff, and it's tough! (for me). I think a big part is the strings -- I like 9s, and they just won't do it, even at volume.
Woody,

To my ears, there is an ambient, double-tracked variac kind of sound on those chords. I'd try some different picks, thickness/materials as well.

When I'm noodling at home on my Champ XD, I find that the Vox (no.7 model) with gain at around 4, treble full on and bass at about 7/10, I get a fair approximation.

On my gigging amp (a Blackstar Artisan 30), on that song, I always play very clean on the amp , and use an OCD Vol 10.00 Gain 11.00 Tone 1030 using treble pickup and guitar vol at around 8. It's close; good and saggy, but not perfect. BTW I have tried 10s and 11s - and there was little difference - although I convinced myself that the 10s sounded closer.

Using that same setting on the chorus - or the intro to Fire & Water -and it's BINGO!

I definitely think the sound of that riff is 90% in the production - or maybe that Selmer Treble'n'Bass you talk about on your site.

Blues Power

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
any one have the "Free live" Album? I bought it 25 years ago while on vacation in Bath England. I dont know if it ever was released in the states. its not Anthology that we have here it was simply 'Free Live"

great versions of songs on that LP

Tons of Sobs

Reaction score
any one have the "Free live" Album? I bought it 25 years ago while on vacation in Bath England. I dont know if it ever was released in the states. its not Anthology that we have here it was simply 'Free Live"

great versions of songs on that LP
Yeah, the album was a live benchamark for a while over here. I think along with the Who's Live at Leeds album these were the tops in terms of UK live releases. The studio track, 'Get Where I Belong' is excellent as well. Beautiful melody, great piano and guitar.
Of course it was released just after the first breakup of the band - and it's success was one of the main reasons they decided to get back together.

John

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Tons -- Great info, thanks. Intrigued by rolling down the pickup vol. Will try it and report back.

61LPSG

Reaction score
Paul Kossoff was the reason I gave up my hollow bodies and bought an LP. He's always been one of my favorite players. He had THE tone, great vibrato, tasty chops and knew just how much was enough. I think he was the first guy I ever saw use an Orange amp.
And like SFK said, Angus Young must have listened to his share of PK...his vibrato is very close.
R.I.P. Koss, too bad you couldn't have stayed around a bit longer.

Aria

Reaction score
Sorry, i have to dig out this old thread, but i made some researches and Paul Kossoff same as Andy Fraser used regular Marshall amps in the studio to record the fire & water album

EasyAce

Reaction score
Vintage Kossoff . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylGLV_nANU]Free, "Moonshine" (live)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SE536bPv0w]Paul Kossoff, "Time Away" (part one)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSa14ryLkwM]Paul Kossoff, "Time Away" (part two)[/ame]

flashriffs

Reaction score
I think ARN has got to be my number one Free track but Free live is what got me into Free, recorded in my home town, I was just a bit young to see them but did see BSC in 75 at the same venue, Koss was on fire, he played The Hunter note for note as the Free Live track as well as some incredible little riffs messing about inbetween tracks, Any way here's my version of ARN, not note for note Koss, through a Boss GT10, trying to get somewhere near his sound, a pathetic attempt I know, I should have used my LP through my valve amp, but I've just bought a new lester and plan to do another ARN with that through my hotrod deluxe. Frank

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVaozUJLysA]It's not All right Now - YouTube[/ame]

garybaldy

Reaction score
Good stuff Woody! 'All Right Now' - sounds overdubbed to me - like he played back over himself (I'm far from a recording expert that's just the way it sounds to me). My '87 LP with an older Seymour Duncan in the bridge and through a Marshall DSL - sounds a lot like PK's tone. In fact I have a hard time getting away from that tone in general (to my ears). My tone could be far worse I guess - LOL!
He did - using slightly different chord inversions and rhythms.
BTW live,for the main chord riff at bar 3, I believe he put his pinky on 5th fret 6th string to double up the A note.It makes a huge difference.