Paul Kossoff's Burst Information - Must Read for Fans!

Montrose

Reaction score
Bonhams : Paul Kossoff/Free: A 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard with sunburst finish owned by Paul Kossoff, 1970-1976,

I figured I'd share this with the group. I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with the sale, nor am I promoting the auction or sale in attempt to garner publicity. This is for historical and informative purposes only.

For the Paul Kossoff fans out there, we finally have official information to what was in Paul's guitar. Looks like the neck pickup reads a whopping 8.25k, compared to the weaker bridge, being 7.43. Interesting stuff. Capacitors are vintage Sprague .022 400v. A shame this is being sold, because David Kossoff was adamant about the guitar being played.

Definitely read the article if you're a fan, a good wealth of information is provided about it pre-auction. I was really exited to read it, because largely most of this information about Paul's guitar have been hearsay. Great to have something concrete about the guitar.

I was in England this last December, and visited the crematorium where Paul Kossoff's ashes were laid. It was really beautiful there, and I'll never forget the walk to the shrine at the back, to visit my hero. Left a guitar pick, and took a snapshot. RIP.
DSC_0204.jpg

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
After reading about this particular guitar some that knew suggested it wasn't Pauls favorite thats why he broke it.

Paul was great but i don't know why his guitars would be signifigant.

However the price of something is whatever people will pay.

I never understood the hype about Peter Greens either except Fleetwood Mac was a better band with him than without.

Collectors-GTX-1.jpg

Having a guitar intact and original puts it into a higher value money wise.

Just like an old Mopar Hemi all original numbers matching instead of a replica.

Montrose

Reaction score
Yeah we've known about the neck forever, but the internal parts and humbucker values not until now. This post wasn't so much about the story, just about the pieces and parts. :)

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
After reading about this particular guitar some that knew suggested it wasn't Pauls favorite thats why he broke it.

Paul was great but i don't know why his guitars would be signifigant.

However the price of something is whatever people will pay.

I never understood the hype about Peter Greens either except Fleetwood Mac was a better band with him than without.

Collectors-GTX-1.jpg

Having a guitar intact and original puts it into a higher value money wise.

Just like an old Mopar Hemi all original numbers matching instead of a replica.

Koss didn't break it because it wasn't one of his favourites, he broke it after throwing it into the air and letting it fall at Free's last gig due to being so upset with the band breaking up.

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
How could you say that? You know he's dead, right?
I was born in early 60's yes he's gone like Morrison, Joplin, Hendrix and so many other good ones.

Everybody knew who Free was, then Bad Co.

Kossloff did some solo stuff after free but nobody i knew in the 70's listened to it.

The value of something is what people are willing to pay, Kossloff was nothing exceptional at the time not better or worse than anyone else because there was so much great music at that time.

Everyone i know from the 60's & 70's is either sober, dead or in prison.

I'm sure it's a nice guitar, but not one that i would want.

By all means feel free to buy it.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I was born in early 60's yes he's gone like Morrison, Joplin, Hendrix and so many other good ones.

Everybody knew who Free was, then Bad Co.

Kossloff did some solo stuff after free but nobody i knew in the 70's listened to it.

The value of something is what people are willing to pay, Kossloff was nothing exceptional at the time not better or worse than anyone else because there was so much great music at that time.

Everyone i know from the 60's & 70's is either sober, dead or in prison.

I'm sure it's a nice guitar, but not one that i would want.

By all means feel free to buy it.

I'm neither sobriate, dead or incarcerated.

under radar

disaffected

Reaction score
Who is Paul Kossloff? and what relation is he to Paul Kossoff? I guess I am no Kossloff fan either.

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
Henryhillmugshot_lead.jpeg

Henry Hill is in the witness protection program, must be why we've never met ...

lespauldawg

Reaction score
Peter Green and Paul Kossoff nothing special!!

Your bloody insane!

Its extremely evident you know nothing about vibrato!!.... playing with feeling or restraint.

Partscaster....are you for real!

holding back here....a very difficult exercise!

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
Peter Green and Paul Kossoff nothing special!!

Your bloody insane!

Its extremely evident you know nothing about vibrato!!.... playing with feeling or restraint.

Partscaster....are you for real!

holding back here....a very difficult exercise!

Agreed. If they were no one special, then why does a large number of people here on this forum chase their tone! I'm gonna step back cause I'm pissed off, and trying to be nice.... Have a great day everyone.

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed. If they were no one special, then why does a large number of people here on this forum chase their tone! I'm gonna step back cause I'm pissed off, and trying to be nice.... Have a great day everyone.
People on forums chase their tone.

How did we ever survive the 60's & 70's without da internet ?

Zepplin was huge as well and i'm a big fan but i don't want Jimmy Pages amps.

And if i had his Burst i wouldn't know what to do with it frankly.

As an average American i can tell you "all right now" was a great song but it didn't really alter peoples lives here.

Their were 1800 people in my high school in the 70's and if you asked any of them who Paul Kossloff or Peter Green was there would likely be no response.

Most people i know just worry about sending their kids to College & paying the bills.

Latest Threads