Paul-Kossoff-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.jpg

paulkossoff1.jpg

Koss3.jpg

Paul-Kossoff-Koss-LP--Front-Cover-34845.jpg

DIB_PAK_001_zm_B.jpg

martynkossoff.jpg

150031367-guitarist-paul-kossoff-performing-with-gettyimages.jpg

guitarist_paul_kossoff_free_1959_gibson_les_paul_standard_guitar_live_free.jpg

Only just noticed it now, but what's strange about that guitar is its the one he used later in his life up until his death. But all pictures of it show it looking pristine. He must have beaten the crap out of it towards the end. I know Arthur Ramm used it live for quite a long time too, but I doubt he beat it up. Koss obviously dropped it at Free's last gig, but it wouldn't cause all the damage it has now.

ajory72

Reaction score
tumblr_lqz6olCQvn1r0dj31o1_r1_500.jpg

I'm wondering if they all attacked his guitar!!

pk9.png

Showing some interesting wear here...[above pic]

StrippedBurst_ScreenShot3.jpg

Same guitar??? [i'm not that familiar with his guitars - just his awesome vibrato!]

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
No. The one you posted first one is the Clapton Les Paul and the second is often referred to as "the stripped burst". It is thought to be a 58 or 59 that Koss stripped. It used to have a Bigsby, but not in Kossoff's ownership. He used it for the Isle of Wight festival. That's my favourite of his guitars.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I have the Kossoff Les Paul! I put the 1960 pick guard on to disguise it.
or8JF3n.jpg

Rodmac

Reaction score
No. The one you posted first one is the Clapton Les Paul and the second is often referred to as "the stripped burst". It is thought to be a 58 or 59 that Koss stripped. It used to have a Bigsby, but not in Kossoff's ownership. He used it for the Isle of Wight festival. That's my favourite of his guitars.

Seemed to be Pauls fav also. Of all the footage both live and in TV studios in UK and Europe I've seen, that guitar was tonally the best by far.

GearHo

Reaction score
I am not an expert on this subject for sure, but I thought a guy from the LP forum bought kossoffs guitar a few years ago. Fried okra was his user name, he had an arsenal of high end custom shop guitars, and indicated he was buying kossoffs.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I though this guy would never sell it,

Image 1 of 2
Paul Kossoff s 1959 Gibson Les Paul
Kossoff's original '59: note the wear to the maple top
not to mention the neck
Kossoff's original '59: note the wear to the maple top
not to mention the neck
Legend of the Les Paul, Free's Paul Kossoff, will have his famed 1959 Gibson Les Paul put up for auction later this year.

Once recreated by Gibson's Custom Shop in 2012, Kossoff's LP has a certain degree of wear and tear on its maple top, which displays a green-ish tint, while the pickups are original PAF humbuckers.

Kossoff owned the Les Paul from 1970 until his death in 1976, after which his close friend Arthur Ramm acquired the guitar now, almost 30 years later, it's being put up for auction for the first time.

Paul Kossoff's 1959 Gibson Les Paul is being offered for auction on 10 December at Bonhams Knightsbridge see Bonhams for more.

Paul Kossoff's 1959 Gibson Les Paul to be auctioned | MusicRadar
So...are you saying that this guitar belonged to Paul Kossoff?

BlueEbenzer

Reaction score
WHat do they think makes it worth so much more than anyone elses guitar? They will still sound just like they would on a Gibson Les Paul Studio or Standard if they play Kossoff's guitar. The mojo is in the guy , not the guys instrument.
A reason I can think up of are the PAFs- it's a well known fact that all the 50s PAFs are wound differently- not something done on purpose- and this gives each of them a unique sound. Koss' LP is one of the better sounding LPs from the 50s. Aside from that there's all the vintage vibes and the very fact that it was owned by Koss.

Last edited:

BlueEbenzer

Reaction score
In Kossoff's memory, I hope whoever buys this will actually play it and not "put it in a glass case."

ajory72

Reaction score
Regarding the "Kossoff" guitar. Is there any pictures or videos of him playing this guitar? I have not found anything on the internet that shows him playing this guitar. Why did Gibson replicate this guitar? I've only seen Koss pictures/videos with his stripped guitar and the dark burst. Why not replicate one of those instead?
Not sure but skip to 5:03 on this vid, I think shows both the stripped and then the one being talked about - unless he owned 3 bursts, or that one in 5:08 was borrowed...

DeeCee

Reaction score
Interesting thread, in several ways.

Keep the Koss info coming.

fleahead

Reaction score
I wonder whatever happened to that asshole Charveldan? Oh, right..... couldn't care less.

deaninkl

Reaction score
Kossoff did indeed own several Bursts over his short playing career, the one that was the subject of this thread didn't sell when it was Auctioned. I guess it didn't meet the reserve and the highest bid was well below what people thought it might go for, I think though this guitar is the one most associated with Kossoff and Free. I understand another is in the possession of Paul Rogers. I think Kossoff didn't have many guitars at any one time, in his later years he sold guitars to buy ah.. substances.. For me Koss was the best, sadly cut short by drug abuse. but in the 70's it went with the territory. I think Kossoff was 26 when he died, most of his great music was made as a teenager or barely into his twenties.... think about what menials are doing as teenagers these days.. mast can barely walk.. ; )

Mike J.

Reaction score
I think it will reach 350-400k. JB‘s not gonna buy it although he was the perfect owner. I think he‘ll wait until Kirk sells Greeny, but this is probably never gonna happen.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The auction is long since over.
The guitar in question is owned by Fried Okra. Same guitar now temporarily on display at Songbirds.

Latest Threads