Paul Kossoff's 1959 Gibson Les Paul to be auctioned

Tazz3

Reaction score
I though this guy would never sell it,

Image 1 of 2
Paul Kossoff s 1959 Gibson Les Paul
Kossoff's original '59: note the wear to the maple top…
…not to mention the neck
Kossoff's original '59: note the wear to the maple top…
…not to mention the neck
Legend of the Les Paul, Free's Paul Kossoff, will have his famed 1959 Gibson Les Paul put up for auction later this year.

Once recreated by Gibson's Custom Shop in 2012, Kossoff's LP has a certain degree of wear and tear on its maple top, which displays a green-ish tint, while the pickups are original PAF humbuckers.

Kossoff owned the Les Paul from 1970 until his death in 1976, after which his close friend Arthur Ramm acquired the guitar – now, almost 30 years later, it's being put up for auction for the first time.

Paul Kossoff's 1959 Gibson Les Paul is being offered for auction on 10 December at Bonhams Knightsbridge – see Bonhams for more.

Paul Kossoff's 1959 Gibson Les Paul to be auctioned | MusicRadar

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I'm gonna set the over/under at $250K. Place your bets gentlemen!!

Bytor1958

Reaction score
There's stupid money I see coming for that.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
The vintage market has dropped quite a bit, Lester's lester didn't go for nearly what I thought, so that's why I set the over/under a bit lower. I could be wrong, but its just a matter of the market.

Tazz3

Reaction score
There is a video of this LP geting played by Joe bonamassa on u tube
This LP screams

Jimmi

Reaction score
The vintage market has dropped quite a bit, Lester's lester didn't go for nearly what I thought, so that's why I set the over/under a bit lower. I could be wrong, but its just a matter of the market.

Actually, the high end vintage market has rebounded well. That is one reason I think we are seeing all these uncirculated and high profile celebrity owned guitars up for sale right now.

deaninkl

Reaction score
I think the top money time for bursts may have past, but as Kossof was one of the best exponents of their qualities, I wouldn't be surprised to see another big name guitarist buy it and lay down some big money. I think many other guitarists like Kossof. He was not so well know in the US, but I think this will be a very interesting sale.

Rodmac

Reaction score
What did the Peter Green / Garry Moore go for ? I'd think it would be on par with that one. Peter & Gary are as iconic as Paul so that's my guestimate.

The pups in that guitar are sledgehammers, definitely a handful of tone in that guitar.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
I hope whoever gets this plays it live and uses it. It would genuinely make me sad to see that my idol's guitar is being kept in a glass case at some lawyer's house. By all accounts, this thing howls and should be let loose so the people can hear it.

We're just lucky this guitar has been so well documented with many great photos and videos.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
$200k - $250k

If only I had it...

I've got a feeling that you'll need substantially more $$ on the hip to end up owning that one. Comparable to the Green/Moore guitar for celebrity, but provenance, originality and number of repairs would make the Kossoff guitar a more attractive proposition to me.

But, like you, if only I had it...

Liam

Reaction score
Apparently not Pauls favourite- not the best sounding either.

That's why Paul broke the neck off in the first place!!

looks nice though a musem piece

Latest Threads