Paul Kossoff

moodyedge

Reaction score
I need a reverb pedal..

anyone know of a good spring reverb pedal that ""doesnt"" suck tone and warmth from the tone????

the boss rv5 i had a few years ago for a few days and sold it because that sucked tone

heres my attempt at running a boss dd6 on a quick delay to mimmick a reverb type sound on an attempt at the solo from today for gary moores I had a dream, the video above(playing with cd). Had it around 70% 2 days ago. Its maybe 80% now. Still a little rough in places, I have until fed to get it 100%

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1012494&songID=8386212

moodyedge

Reaction score

very nice but i dont see any uk dealers

found the solemate for $285 wonder if theres any import tax on that. Does anyone know the cut offs for tax etc. Ive had pedals shipped from the US few times for under $150 with no tax to pay

Also do you know of any good US dealers that ship to England,

cheers

edge

Toris93

Reaction score
its heartwarming to see Kossoff get some recognision, he is a huge inspiration!

i have everything by free except the last album...since Kossoff is not on it! =)
but i dont have the dvd i dont know why!? but ill order it asap=)

Emerald

Reaction score
moodyedge, great playing on the Gary Moore song. As you mentioned using the DD-6 as a reverb, for me produces more of a slap back echo, than a reverb effect, which I'm sure you realize.
I think Gary uses either reverb form the DSL he has or a T-Rex pedal, but back in the SGTB days, I bought an Alesis Quadraverb as that was what Gary was using, later a Midiverb. These are quite expensive though. It is difficult to get an authentic sounding reverb in a relatively inexpensive digital pedal though.
I am lucky to have reverb (spring) on both channels of my Crate Vintage Club 1X12" combo and I do use my DD-6 with a touch of delay, but love the sound of plate reverb the best. The Fender stand alone reverb is the best valve driven one available, though I love the Matamp green reverb unit, the one with the EF86 valve, as used in the AC-15, that's what Peter Green, the master of reverb used live a lot in the early Fleetwood Mac days.
You might be better served with a dry signal and just relying on the room ambiance for your verb. Nice bends and feel to your solo, I would like to hear the dry sound though!
Gary's version in the video using the volume knob for the swells is very Roy Buchanon like

Here is the Orange unit:
b7e7fec9.jpg

cd324c0e.jpg

0f010a10.jpg

The Matamp version:
50ea65c3.jpg

5841be06.jpg

93a80046.jpg

09081887.jpg

Great stuff!
Emerald

moodyedge

Reaction score
moodyedge, great playing on the Gary Moore song. As you mentioned using the DD-6 as a reverb, for me produces more of a slap back echo, than a reverb effect, which I'm sure you realize.
I think Gary uses either reverb form the DSL he has or a T-Rex pedal, but back in the SGTB days, I bought an Alesis Quadraverb as that was what Gary was using, later a Midiverb. These are quite expensive though. It is difficult to get an authentic sounding reverb in a relatively inexpensive digital pedal though.
I am lucky to have reverb (spring) on both channels of my Crate Vintage Club 1X12" combo and I do use my DD-6 with a touch of delay, but love the sound of plate reverb the best. The Fender stand alone reverb is the best valve driven one available, though I love the Matamp green reverb unit, the one with the EF86 valve, as used in the AC-15, that's what Peter Green, the master of reverb used live a lot in the early Fleetwood Mac days.
You might be better served with a dry signal and just relying on the room ambiance for your verb. Nice bends and feel to your solo, I would like to hear the dry sound though!
Gary's version in the video using the volume knob for the swells is very Roy Buchanon like

Great stuff!
Emerald
this is turning into a gm thread ha

LOVING that ormat a lot

GM uses a telecaster for the violin type effect and Ive tried to do that but cant reach the volume pot while playing it. A telecaster looks as though it was designed for that move as the strings are right next to the volume control

Im still working on that. If I can cross both versions I will just about have it. Still not happy with it yet. I will be playing this really loud if the PA will be big enough to hear the band over the guitar

I did some research into GM's pedal board. Heres snaps I took and what Ive figured out from them.

l_6fd3886d743d412b856e599535804dc3.jpg

l_7892a77c1b67448ba3ad5f6f02a94d85.jpg

9731_139920463883_515888883_2671571_6334961_n.jpg

boss tuner

boss reverb

radial tonebone

mxr gt-od

mxr stereo chorus

T-Rex Alberta Overdrive (orange, three knobs),

T-Rex Moller Dist/Boost (light green, five knobs, two switches).

On the other side of the RV-5 is a T-Rex Reptile Delay.

Eventide Time Factor on the top left (looking at the board from the guitarists point of view, black and blue with 3 stomp switches)

I am cosidering a trex reverb pedal. £220 sounds better than £300. Not sure it will be as good, it does have a few modes but I think I just want a good warm spring which has maybe given me the answer in the form of the vanamps

http://www.vanamps.com/vanamps.html

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPNVtVtZLgw[/ame]

sounds pretty good. Wish there was a shop within 100 miles that i could try all this stuff out for myself.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifJaeby2Xg&feature=related[/ame]

I maybe be get a vanamps solemate

Ive never heard anything quite like it

I was gona get one from the US but is was only around £40 cheaper than getting one here so I will do that.

It sounds very nice

£300 maybe a little OTT just for one effect but it is nice. Important for that moody blues vibe. I suppose if you consider boss rv5 is £100 and sounds shit then £300 for this is a bargain.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzRTd6pEhQ[/ame]

Emerald

Reaction score
Dude, I turn everything into a GM/PG thread lol!!:lol:
Sounds like you're on the right track there!
Emerald

moodyedge

Reaction score
Dude, I turn everything into a GM/PG thread lol!!:lol:
Sounds like you're on the right track there!
Emerald

well I bought that vanamp solemate in black, so add that to my pedal board which consists of that and a boss tuner :laugh2:

Or if Im playing thin lizzys 'still in love with you' add a boss dd6 for the fading echo.

I buy pedals for one song usually so theres two songs I need pedals for with the gary moore and thin lizzy. I used to use a wah pedal when we used to play 'jailbreak'.

I think Ive got too many pedals. Maybe hide them behind the amp :rolleyes:

I will let you know what I think of the solemate when it gets here. Im very hard to please so if I say its good then its good

seen as this is a paul kossoff thread, heres an old vid of my band playing fire and water. It isnt brilliant but is the only gig I have on video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXPBK7mZ0oA[/ame]

moodyedge

Reaction score
Kick ass tone and playing!
Not too impressed with the singer.

thanks,

yeah was a rough gig from that point of view, says he had cold. Lost his voice in the second set, I remember that ha

Im the only one left that likes playing FREE etc so we dont anymore. It stinks

Angus

Reaction score
this is turning into a gm thread ha

Something needs to be done about that. :)

So, am I the only one that thinks the live version of Heartbreaker (the Free song, obviously) is magnificent?

Attachments

• Comp1lr.jpg
    Comp1lr.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 497

moodyedge

Reaction score
Something needs to be done about that. :)

So, am I the only one that thinks the live version of Heartbreaker (the Free song, obviously) is magnificent?

its brilliant...ive got a few live versions of it......great tune

Angus

Reaction score
its brilliant...ive got a few live versions of it......great tune

I've heard a few, including one with the original line-up, but I don't think any are as good as the one from Free Story, and the boxed set. The studio version never really did it for me.

Angus

Reaction score
its heartwarming to see Kossoff get some recognision, he is a huge inspiration!

i have everything by free except the last album...since Kossoff is not on it! =)
but i dont have the dvd i dont know why!? but ill order it asap=)

Not so, my friend. Kossoff in on most of the album. If you look on the sleeve notes it tells you which tracks, but mistakenly omits to mention he played on Wishing Well, as confirmed by Simon Kirke and John Glover (who was responsible for the sleeve notes).

If you are looking more Kossoff material have got "Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit" which is an excellent album, with Kossoff pretty much at the peak of his abilities, and certainly in full creative flow with Rabbit.

Another overlooked album with several scorching Kossoff appearances is Fiends and Angels by Martha Velez, circa 1969.

moodyedge

Reaction score
Not so, my friend. Kossoff in on most of the album. If you look on the sleeve notes it tells you which tracks, but mistakenly omits to mention he played on Wishing Well, as confirmed by Simon Kirke and John Glover (who was responsible for the sleeve notes).

If you are looking more Kossoff material have got "Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit" which is an excellent album, with Kossoff pretty much at the peak of his abilities, and certainly in full creative flow with Rabbit.

Another overlooked album with several scorching Kossoff appearances is Fiends and Angels by Martha Velez, circa 1969.

two words,

molten gold

that song could make you cry

tonebone

Reaction score
well I bought that vanamp solemate in black, so add that to my pedal board which consists of that and a boss tuner :laugh2:

Or if Im playing thin lizzys 'still in love with you' add a boss dd6 for the fading echo.

I buy pedals for one song usually so theres two songs I need pedals for with the gary moore and thin lizzy. I used to use a wah pedal when we used to play 'jailbreak'.

I think Ive got too many pedals. Maybe hide them behind the amp :rolleyes:

I will let you know what I think of the solemate when it gets here. Im very hard to please so if I say its good then its good

seen as this is a paul kossoff thread, heres an old vid of my band playing fire and water. It isnt brilliant but is the only gig I have on video

YouTube - red persona- Cover of FREE song, Fire and Water

I did suggest it to ya. Now don't be comin' after me with a pitchfork if it doens't work out for ya.

And I really do hope it works out for ya. I do.

I thought you were located in Texas. ??? Otherwise I woulda left well enuf alone.

(yer new avatar bears a resemblance to Les Claypool. ???)

moodyedge

Reaction score
I did suggest it to ya. Now don't be comin' after me with a pitchfork if it doens't work out for ya.

And I really do hope it works out for ya. I do.

I thought you were located in Texas. ??? Otherwise I woulda left well enuf alone.

(yer new avatar bears a resemblance to Les Claypool. ???)

i got one yeah, it aint here yet but i love it already.

the pic is the dude from the big lebowski, one of my heros :laugh2:

Jessenoah

Reaction score
aint no gary moore here
:D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydItRbb0b1E]YouTube - Free All Right Now Live Isle of Wight Festival August 1970, East Afton Farm, Freshwater[/ame]

Latest Threads