Pat DiNizio - Smithereens - Rest In Peace

sk8rat

Reaction score
cant say I was a fan but I know chicken wings band opened for them back in the day.

fry

Reaction score
I had not heard about this until I read the title of this thread. This really took the wind out of me, I was a huge fan. I just saw the band earlier this year, and to be honest, Pat looked really bad. He had had serious health problems in recent years, and had gained a tremendous amount of weight. Suffered a nasty fall a couple winters ago, and hurt himself pretty bad. Messed up his shoulder, nerve damage etc. Wasn’t even able to play the guitar anymore. When I saw him, one arm was in a sling, and the other was hanging at his side the entire evening like it was paralyzed or something. If there was any justice in this world, this band would be a household name, so many great songs. Just a real, kick ass rock ‘n’ roll band. Rest in peace, Pat.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Ah, geez. I didn't know he was suffering, and I guess all I can say is that I am glad his suffering is over.

I'm a huge fan of their music, too. They were a fantastic band with a unique sound. I'm bummed this morning.

Peace

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Ah, geez. I didn't know he was suffering, and I guess all I can say is that I am glad his suffering is over.

I'm a huge fan of their music, too. They were a fantastic band with a unique sound. I'm bummed this morning.

Peace
The thing that is so heartbreaking is that only a few days ago he seemed so hopeful that he could get back to doing what he loved.

From the Smithereens fb page

GREETINGS FROM SCOTCH PLAINS NJ!
Hey everybody - it's your old friend and colleague, Pat DiNizio from 'America's Band' the world famous Smithereens!

Happy Saturday to all of you. I hope that you are doing well and are already hard at work enjoying your weekend. I have been getting a lot of gratifying and encouraging emails and Facebook postings from so many of you regarding my health and I want you to know that your interest and concern truly means the world to me. I learned a long time ago that life is a series of constant adjustments and with that in mind, we are doing our very best to deal with current medical issues to get me in shape for our upcoming gigs.
I have been receiving very good care and several physical therapy sessions at home each week here at Hollingsworth House in Scotch Plains (a Victorian farmhouse built in 1885 that I purchased 20 years ago - I am only the 3rd owner of the house!) and rest assured I am receiving the best medical care and attention possible to repair the damage done to my neck and back in my recent falls.
On another note, here is a list of movies I will be watching on Blue Ray and DVD this weekend. Let me know if you are a fan of any of these movies and want to post a movie review:
THE YAKUZA, TWO FOR THE SEESAW, THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, THE OMEGA MAN, THE BIRDS (playing now), MEET JOHN DOE, SCANNERS, DR. STRANGE, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, FRENZY, THE 7TH VICTIM and my favorite Michael Caine movie - the 1960s spy thriller THE IPCRESS FILE.
Anyway, hope you are well, talk soon, see you soon.
Love and happiness to you,
Pat D.

defcrew

Reaction score
RIP. They were good. Well written rock songs. Had not thought of them in years.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Aw man, he was a good guy and The Smithereens were a great band!

I got to hang out with him a few times. The first was when a friend of mine hired him to play at his house for a party when Pat was doing his "Living Room" shows tour; it was just Pat with a guitar and a small PA and he played lots of Smithereens songs along with covers and took tons of requests. Great show. I also went to his annual cookout parties a couple of times where he and at least a couple of the other guys from The Smithereens would play and folks were invited up to jam with them.

RIP, Pat. :(

Caretaker

Reaction score
DAMN!!!!!
Another friend lost.
Pat was one of the most down to earth guys I`ve ever met.
He drove me home To Elizabeth from New Brunswick after a show when my car wouldn`t start at the Court Tavern. We`d been friends ever since.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I was interrupted mid post.
Rest in Peace Pat.
A true musical soul that will be missed, especially in the NJ community.

fleahead

Reaction score
Saw them a year ago and was shocked to see him physically, not knowing anything about his condition(s). But he rocked, same great vocals and the band was smoking. Really, really sad news...... December sucks for rockers

Guitarhack

Reaction score

Latest Threads