Passion for the Paul

The Ballzz

Reaction score
1980 firebrand. My View attachment 518964 father bought for me at GC Anaheim ca. I’ll never sell her. Might be the nicest one on the planet.

That's very interesting! It appears to be a walnut body, as most of "The Pauls" were. I thought all the "Firebrands" were actually mahogany like my 1980 "LP Firebrand" is. And yes, my Firebrand is one of the finest guitars I've ever played! A pic of the front of the headstock would be fun to see?

FWIW, mine looked nearly new, when I got it in '82!

Enjoy,
Gene
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0245.jpg
IMG_0248 copy.jpg
IMG_1951.jpg

Gary Bell

Reaction score

Attachments

The Ballzz

Reaction score

WOW!, Did you do the countouring of the neck to the body and refinish it youself? It looks fantastic, compared to my beater! Mine gets played an awful lot! It's like a comfy pair of shoes, although soon to be due for a refret! I'm not sure I've ever seen a walnut "The Paul" with an engraved/wood burned headstock before. Most had a decal and the egraving was reserved for the cheaper mahogany, Firebrand version. Of course Gibson was all over the place back then. Either way, whether the walnu or mahogany versions, these wre truly stellar entry level instruments. They were an excellent upgrade of the Les Paul Junior and Special, with himbuckers and that glorious ebony fingerboard. Real diamonds in the rough! Mine absolutely smokes any other guitar I've ever owned, except for maybe my home built Tele, also with ebony fingerboard! They give each other a run for the money! And oh well, the floating wiggle stick Starts, are Strats! They all have their place in the Holy Trinity of tones!

I do happen to also have an '82 that is supposed also a Firebrand, in black. It has a decal on the headstack and I'm not sure if it was originally black, or......? It's not nearly as cool as my '80!

Thanks For Sharin'
Gene

IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0250.jpg

Gary Bell

Reaction score
WOW!, Did you do the countouring of the neck to the body and refinish it youself? It looks fantastic, compared to my beater! Mine gets played an awful lot! It's like a comfy pair of shoes, although soon to be due for a refret! I'm not sure I've ever seen a walnut "The Paul" with an engraved/wood burned headstock before. Most had a decal and the egraving was reserved for the cheaper mahogany, Firebrand version. Of course Gibson was all over the place back then. Either way, whether the walnu or mahogany versions, these wre truly stellar entry level instruments. They were an excellent upgrade of the Les Paul Junior and Special, with himbuckers and that glorious ebony fingerboard. Real diamonds in the rough! Mine absolutely smokes any other guitar I've ever owned, except for maybe my home built Tele, also with ebony fingerboard! They give each other a run for the money! And oh well, the floating wiggle stick Starts, are Strats! They all have their place in the Holy Trinity of tones!

I do happen to also have an '82 that is supposed also a Firebrand, in black. It has a decal on the headstack and I'm not sure if it was originally black, or......? It's not nearly as cool as my '80!

Thanks For Sharin'
Gene

View attachment 519258 View attachment 519259
Thanks. Yes I did the work to it in the early 90’s. I had been playing a Charvel and I loved that neck. I got a wild hair and took it down to bare wood shaved the neck, contour the heel, put in Seymour Duncan’s. Changed all the hardware to chrome. I had a bag with all the original hardware and pick ups but somewhere along the way they went missing. I am in the market for knobs and hardware bits to put her back. Your guitar looks truly well played. And that’s why they were created to be played. I did quite a bit of research on the model recently and your black one is probably an original. They came out with a few colors apparently. The early firebrand guitars had inlays on the first fret. And did apparently come in walnut or mahogany. I always did want a Les Paul with a carved top though. I bought this a couple weeks ago. First new guitar in 30 yrs.

Attachments

Gary Bell

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I did the work to it in the early 90’s. I had been playing a Charvel and I loved that neck. I got a wild hair and took it down to bare wood shaved the neck, contour the heel, put in Seymour Duncan’s. Changed all the hardware to chrome. I had a bag with all the original hardware and pick ups but somewhere along the way they went missing. I am in the market for knobs and hardware bits to put her back. Your guitar looks truly well played. And that’s why they were created to be played. I did quite a bit of research on the model recently and your black one is probably an original. They came out with a few colors apparently. The early firebrand guitars had inlays on the first fret. And did apparently come in walnut or mahogany. I always did want a Les Paul with a carved top though. I bought this a couple weeks ago. First new guitar in 30 yrs.

Attachments

The Ballzz

Reaction score

NOICE! :dude:

My carved top itch is fairly well covered with a black, '88 dot neck Studio, white, '97 Studio with P94s:
IMG_2025.JPG

and a white, '81 Custom, with kinda unusual, but period correct Dimarzios :

IMG_0207.JPG

It is however time to start thinning the herd a bit. Really difficult to decide which guitars I can let go, without being too sad! :wtf: I really love all my guitars for different reasons, but that Custom will likely be the first to go, as it is a 12 pound, boat anchor! Plays and sounds fantastic though and has never had a neck break, just well played! Its funny, I just recently wrote a song called "Cullin' The Herd" but it has nothing to do with guitars! :doh:

Enjoy Your Guitars In Good Health!
Gene

Gary Bell

Reaction score
NOICE! :dude:

My carved top itch is fairly well covered with a black, '88 dot neck Studio, white, '97 Studio with P94s:
View attachment 519367

and a white, '81 Custom, with kinda unusual, but period correct Dimarzios :

View attachment 519368

It is however time to start thinning the herd a bit. Really difficult to decide which guitars I can let go, without being too sad! :wtf: I really love all my guitars for different reasons, but that Custom will likely be the first to go, as it is a 12 pound, boat anchor! Plays and sounds fantastic though and has never had a neck break, just well played! Its funny, I just recently wrote a song called "Cullin' The Herd" but it has nothing to do with guitars! :doh:

Enjoy Your Guitars In Good Health!
Gene

Gary Bell

Reaction score
Nice setup. The 81 custom looks like a beast. You can almost tell that it weighs 12 pounds from the photo. I had no idea they were so much heavier. I’d love to have a white custom Sunday like Randy played. I’m actually just putting more guitars in my collection. I have a buddy...that I’m probably going to buy a nice mid 80s American standard fender Strat. Never owned a fender before. Cheers.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Nice setup. The 81 custom looks like a beast. You can almost tell that it weighs 12 pounds from the photo. I had no idea they were so much heavier. I’d love to have a white custom Sunday like Randy played. I’m actually just putting more guitars in my collection. I have a buddy...that I’m probably going to buy a nice mid 80s American standard fender Strat. Never owned a fender before. Cheers.

When/if you get that Strat, make sure you "float" that wiggle stick! That's what a Strat is all about. Yeah, there's a little bit of a learning curve concerning care and feeding to keep it well in tune, but not too bad. Once I got that part down, my floated Strats have greater tuning stability than any of my fixed bridge guitars. When you get it in hand, feel free to pick my brain for tips and tricks. Not complicated, but all in the details! Out of curiosity, what part of the universe are you located in?
Just Askin'
Gene

Latest Threads