Parts Questions on my Elitist Goldtop?

Rexfordbridge

Reaction score
I don't have my guitar in front of me (it's in for a setup). The guitar is the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul 1957 Goldtop. In the mean time, I'm purchasing some Guitarforce - Rebel I PAF's. Heard some great comments about these. Anyway, the owner of the company has asked if I want Polished or Raw Nickel for the pickup covers. What are the current pickups on the guitar, Raw or Polished?

Also, I'm replacing the Pots on the guitar. For this guitar I was thinking about getting Push/pull pots. Would I need to purchase short shaft or long shaft? Push/pull pots a good idea?

My last cosmetic question is, after I replace the pots I will need to replace the knobs on the pots. Are the stock knobs the bell shaped or speed shaped?

If you need a reference, it is here...<b>Knobs and Switch Tips</b><br><br>

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You need your guitar in front of you to know what parts are on it?

If I'm not mistaken, the stock pickups should have chrome covers. Knobs should be bell knobs.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You want polished. I have them in my Classic, and they are nearly chrome-like.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Correction!

Looks like the Elitist '57 GT came with speed knobs.

newelgoldtop.jpg

Rexfordbridge

Reaction score
I do have the pic, but it's difficult for me to tell from the pic what the pickup covers are as well as the knobs. By the way, short or long shaft pots?

andy007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short shaft pots. I have the same guitar and I purchased a complete kit from RSGuitarworks. So I KNOW you need short shaft. If you replace your pots with ASE sized pots you will have to make the holes bigger and the knobs that came with your Elitist will not fit the new pots. You will prob need new knobs.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Speed knobs, always. And, the pup covers aren't chrome - Nickel I'm sure (well, as I recall, anyways!).

Rexfordbridge

Reaction score
Diceman, are you saying that it comes with speed knobs or are you just saying that speed knobs are better? Also, do you think the pickup covers are polished or raw nickel?

_pete_

Reaction score
If you want to sell the Elitist pups, let me know.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that they came with speed knobs. I can't recall how shiny the pickups were on my Standard, but I'd say polished. Pretty sure on that.

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same guitar. Came with speed knobs and polished pup covers. You definitely need short shaft pots and new knobs.

You also will have to find different screws to mount those pups to the pickup rings, as the originals are metric. If I remember correctly, the non-metric screws are physically smaller in diameter.

hbucker

Reaction score
They are nickel covers on the stock Elitist pickups. Polished would look new. Raw would look somewhat aged or vintage. It's your call which is better.

Latest Threads