Parity Volume & OD/Distortion/Boost Pedals

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Since my purchase of an Orange Dark Terror two you years ago, I've been using the amp's gain stages to get a great “clean“ and my idea of what a gainy amp should sound like. In contemplating whether I should try a clean boost of some sort or perhaps an OD pedal, I'm wondering how most of you that use these type pedals actually set the pedal's volume. I always envisioned that if I were using either one, I'd have only enough volume dialed on the device to be just a bit louder for a solo when I activate the pedal and then figure out about where to set gain (and if present) the device's tone. I’d like to hear some sage advice from the long-time pedal users here.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I run my Fender Prosonic to have pristine clean on one side and "high" gain on the other, with an MXR Custom B@d@ss OD as my mild OD. I run an Outlaw Effects Boilermaker in the effects loop for boost. The Boilermaker has gain (which I leave at 0) bass, treble, and output, so I can get a slightly bolder lead tone. As you indicated, I set all three main drive levels for parity volume and a mild-moderate volume increase with the Boilermaker. I may at times leave the boost on and moderate volume with the guitar depending on the song.

Latest Threads