Parallell coil tapped in middle position?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Was thinking that I don't use the middle position on my LP much. Was also considering if I had the neck and bridge coil tapped would I get noise cancellation and a more single coil like sound like positions 2/4 on a strat. I am guessing this would not work since it requires the reverse wound middle pickup.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Strats didn't have RWRP middle pickups until at least the late 80's, I think. Definitely not the 50's / 60's / early 70's. Even though those earlier Strats didn't have a formal 5-way switch, they all worked in 5 positions with the lever between the traditional 3 notched positions. That RWRP middle pickup is just for noise canceling, not parallel wiring.

The modern Les Paul standards with the push/pulls do have the option of split coils in parallel in the middle position. Gibson also now builds one pickup in those guitars RWRP so that when you are in that middle position it's also noise cancelling. ...and to aggravate anyone on this forum trying to swap a pickup or harness in those guitars.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't thinking series/parallel. I was thinking of getting sort of a single coil tone with coil tapping but also getting the noise cancellation that you get with modern strats in positions 2 and 4. I am assuming even if this worked, it would be a big drop in volume. Sounds like if I want to do this I would need a RWRP so it might not be feasible.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can use just one coil of both humbuckers and wire them in either series or parallel and have noise canceling in either way you choose to do it.

The typical way of combining two humbuckers (whether split coils or not) in the middle position is parallel. This is the same as 2 and 4 in a Strat.