Paragon Redwood for the MGS

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I adore Redwood. nice dark almost haunting taptone. I have used it in many acoustics. I also love the wide curl you get with Curly Redwood. The only thing I dont like is that it will dent if you breath wrong on it:)

as always Wounderful work:applause::applause:

You aren't kidding. I think I had 3 or 4 dents I needed to steam out of the 9-string because of all the extra handling and custom work I had with that one. This one thankfully there were none. :fingersx: Redwood is hands down my favorite top wood ever!!!:thumb:

Bruiser74

Reaction score
DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

I really want one of these!
:thumb:

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Ok everyone, the pics as well as the guitars are finally done. I have 5 guitars total I am bringing to the Montreal Guitar Show. This post is just the Paragon Red. The rest to follow. Enjoy. :thumb:

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I had an amazing time at the show and even had the chance to meet a few MLPers. renthepen started a pic thread and has a glowing review of the Blue Paragon here http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/147586-montreal-guitar-show-pics-inside.html, its a few posts down.

All of the guitars from the show are available for purchase direct from me for a limited time at the MGS pricing before they go off to dealers. Check this thread for more info. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vendor-classifieds/147834-extended-montreal-guitar-show-pricing-dgn-custom-guitars-show.html#post2827073

Here is a pic of my table from the show.

DSC_0219.jpg

renthepen

Reaction score
renthepen started a pic thread and has a glowing review of the Blue Paragon here http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/147586-montreal-guitar-show-pics-inside.html[/URL]

Hey Dan!

In my quick review, I totally forgot to talk about the double cut, which is the other guitar I tried in the amp booth.

Remember that on that day, I tried many...many guitars. When I took the double cut in my hands, I found it a bit heavy. I love heavy guitars, but its an information that I think I'd like to know if I was a MLP lurker reading a review ;)

I took a closer look at the instrument. I remember thinking that you have some of the nicest looking grain pattern on your mahogany backs, and you stain them with a very unique color. They also have a neck joint made in a way that truly helps playing the higher part of the fretboard.

The double cut, like the other guitars on that table, had a very nice flame top and you sold me the idea of giving her a spin by telling me it was similar to a 59 gibby. I went to the amp room and plugged the monster.

I remember thinking that she was "alive", like if she was breathing. I fooled around with the tone knobs, and you told me later what kind of caps you've been using and now that I think about it I kinda recognize them since I got the same ones on 2 of my own guitars. I had some fun until I switched to the neck pickup. I don't know what happened... but I felt something! I really enjoyed that pickup, with the volume knob at about 4 and the tone knob at about 6... the guitar went from a very well crafted instrument to a tone monster, all this with the simple flick of a switch.

But to be honest, it's when I played with the blue paragon with the p90s that I fell in love. I would simply move my left hand, caressing the strings, and I would "feel" the guitar like if we were in symbiosis. My reflex is to think that the pickups were magic, but actually it could be something else ;)

I hope this will give other readers an idea of how your guitars sound - they really are instruments meant to be played with. I really hope to see you again next year and I am curious about what new models you will bring with you!

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Dan!

In my quick review, I totally forgot to talk about the double cut, which is the other guitar I tried in the amp booth.

Remember that on that day, I tried many...many guitars. When I took the double cut in my hands, I found it a bit heavy. I love heavy guitars, but its an information that I think I'd like to know if I was a MLP lurker reading a review ;)

I took a closer look at the instrument. I remember thinking that you have some of the nicest looking grain pattern on your mahogany backs, and you stain them with a very unique color. They also have a neck joint made in a way that truly helps playing the higher part of the fretboard.

The double cut, like the other guitars on that table, had a very nice flame top and you sold me the idea of giving her a spin by telling me it was similar to a 59 gibby. I went to the amp room and plugged the monster.

I remember thinking that she was "alive", like if she was breathing. I fooled around with the tone knobs, and you told me later what kind of caps you've been using and now that I think about it I kinda recognize them since I got the same ones on 2 of my own guitars. I had some fun until I switched to the neck pickup. I don't know what happened... but I felt something! I really enjoyed that pickup, with the volume knob at about 4 and the tone knob at about 6... the guitar went from a very well crafted instrument to a tone monster, all this with the simple flick of a switch.

But to be honest, it's when I played with the blue paragon with the p90s that I fell in love. I would simply move my left hand, caressing the strings, and I would "feel" the guitar like if we were in symbiosis. My reflex is to think that the pickups were magic, but actually it could be something else ;)

I hope this will give other readers an idea of how your guitars sound - they really are instruments meant to be played with. I really hope to see you again next year and I am curious about what new models you will bring with you!

Thanks for this post. I am really glad that you like my guitars so much. The Blue one sold yesterday and I was kind of sad to see it go. :sadwave: I really think that was my favorite of the whole run. I like them all really but that one had that "something special" and I think you know what I mean. :cool:

BillScheltema

Reaction score
DGNrepair,

A most excellent looking guitar.
Is the redwood flat on the underside and only the top carved?
I recieved an order for a Ian Anderson/Gustavson style you know LP Tele hybrid with single F-Hole and such.
We are planning an african mahogany chambered core with either Claro, but that redwood may be a nice replacement if I cant source claro, well I did but I don't have 1500 to invest yet... nice work there. I was invited to the Montreal show last year but I fealt I wasn't quite ready, since i didnt have any guitars done for spec just orders.

Bill

mdr40z

Reaction score
I'm looking pretty close at those GraphTech bridges, is this the first that you have tried them? What do you think of them?

BWGuitars

Reaction score
DGN, is that the natural look of the redwood, or did you do any grain enhancement/dying? (if you don't mind me asking)

Latest Threads