Paragon Redwood for the MGS

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I am super excited about this guitar, so I figured I would share. This is one of my Paragon Red guitars. What is special about this one is, its going to be my center piece for the Montreal Guitar Show this summer. This is my crazy over the top nuts all out guitar. :dude: It's one of 6 guitars total I am bringing to the show.

This guitar is Fully Hollow with a block under what will be the wraparound bridge. The fingerboard is West African Ebony and the whole guitar, body and neck, will get multi ply maple binding. Its also going to have a single F-Hole on the bass side of the body. All of the Hardware will be gold and the Pickup rings and knobs will be solid ebony. The Electronics will also be nothing short of over the top. This guitar will Feature a Pair of my Handwound DGN "Low Wind" humbuckers, a Graphtech Piezo System, and Alessandro Pots. :D

I still need to come up with some sick inlay for the fingerboard. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but have a few things in mind.

And now onto the pics........

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Cool. I am looking forward to it. This is my first year at the show. Be sure to stop my and introduce yourself at my booth. :thumb:

Dan

decoy205

Reaction score
Fantastic! Redwood has such a nice figure to it. How is it compared to Maple as a tone wood?

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Fantastic! Redwood has such a nice figure to it. How is it compared to Maple as a tone wood?

Redwood is a fantastic topwood and my absolute favorite. It is warmer than maple, snappy, but still retains the high end. Think a sweeter top end. It's density is along the lines of spruce. On this type of guitar in particular (fully hollow) I really hear the difference between redwood and maple.

cain61

Reaction score
That guitar looks phenomenal. Redwood has such an organic, earthy look to it, cheaper than curly maple for the most part, too. Congratulations,killer ax.

Ace1432

Reaction score
i always love those curls in redwood.looks like a piece of silk once that clear nitro gets over it

emoney

Reaction score
Now I'm excited about the Montreal Guitar Show and I'm not even getting to go!
This build, and that guitar, is going to be awesome. Thanks for including us!

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
That guitar looks phenomenal. Redwood has such an organic, earthy look to it, cheaper than curly maple for the most part, too. Congratulations,killer ax.

This stuff is not cheaper unfortunately. :naughty: Its really amazing wood though and worth every penny.

i always love those curls in redwood.looks like a piece of silk once that clear nitro gets over it

Yes I agree, except I don't use nitro. I am an all Waterbased Finish builder. See the Target Coatings EM6000 thread. :thumb:

Now I'm excited about the Montreal Guitar Show and I'm not even getting to go!
This build, and that guitar, is going to be awesome. Thanks for including us!

I have been excited about getting into Montreal since December. I am happy to show off what I have planned. It also helps that people see this guitar before I put it on display for basicly the world to see. :shock: Not nervous at all..........

dougk

Reaction score
I'm just starting my last one for MGS too... this is coming up WAY to fast!

Looking good buddy, looking forward to seeing this one play out!

gator payne

Reaction score
:applause:Sweet I have a Burled Redwood top I plan on using on a JR here this year.

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I didn't have enough black fiber to do full size multi ply bindings so slight change of plans. Since I don't have much time to spare with this build I am going to do single ply maple binding on the neck and single ply with Black/Maple/Black purflings on the body. The body will have the multi ply bound look and the neck will just be a little simpler. :thumb:

Today I made my maple bindings from figured maple for the body and fingerboard. I also cut out the neck and fingerboard and routed the headstock shape. :dude:

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I'm just starting my last one for MGS too... this is coming up WAY to fast!

Looking good buddy, looking forward to seeing this one play out!

Yeah the way I look at it, MGS is right around the coner. The next 2 months will be a living hell. :laugh2: I think I'll make it will all 6 builds I want to bring. :fingersx:

:applause:Sweet I have a Burled Redwood top I plan on using on a JR here this year.

Nice. I love Burled Redwood. I am looking forward to seeing that.

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Ok here is the last bit for today.

Step routed for the purfling and binding.
DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

Pipe and torch and a touch of water for bending the maple binding.

DSC_0192.jpg

Bending the binding around the horn and upper bout. I don't worry about bending for the lower bout because the maple binding is actually very flexible.

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

The binding and purflings all glued up and drying.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Sweet! I can't wait to see that in person.

What, you guys actually start your show builds before may?! :laugh2:

Only by 2 weeks. Don't worry, next year I'll step it up and start in June. :laugh2:

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Ok just a little update for today. Had a lot of repair work to catch up on. I may do more as the evening goes on though. The binding was scraped and sanded then I hit the whole top of the guitar with 220 on the DA. Here it is with a little Naptha to pop the grain. :D

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

Reactions: MRJ

Reaction score
looks amazing just email you about a repair job...

Latest Threads