Paragon '59

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
The Paragon '59 is the newest model to come out of the DGN shop. I wanted to build a guitar that was almost exact in every detail to a Burst, but I wanted to make it uniquely my own. I use the term Replica loosely because this guitar is not a Replica as it lacks certain specific details. Rather, I describe it as "Burst Inspired". Pics first, then specs. :thumb:

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

If you need to see more pics, head over to my facebook page. There are a whole bunch there - https://www.facebook.com/DGNCustomGuitars

Also if you would like to see how it came together, I did a build thread over in the Luthiers Section - http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/159392-paragon-59-build-thread.html

Sadly this is my last set of Old Growth Honduran Mahogany for now. Future guitars will be built with Spanish Cedar, which in my opinion is every bit as good, if not better than Current Honduran Mahogany.

Paragon '59 Specs:

Body and Neck - Old Growth Honduran Mahogany
Top - Eastern PA Figured Maple
Fingerboard - Brazilian Rosewood
Headstock Veneer - American Holly

6/6 Nylon Nut
Dave Johnson Inlays
Bartlett Binding
Vintage Clone Pickguard and Jack Plate
Kluson Tuners with Uncle Lou Buttons
PEC High End Pots
Luxe Bumble Bee Caps
DGN hand wound PAF Humbuckers
Switchcraft Switch and Jack
All Hardware Aged in my shop

The guitar was shot in Nitrocellulose Lacquer and I used aniline dyes. The top was then faded in the sun for a total of 6 hours to what you see here. The finish is not and will not be aged or reliced. I believe in good ole play wear. However I did age all of the hardware and screws. I couldn't bring myself to put brand new shiny hardware on this guitar. It just doesn't fit in with the vibe I am after.

The guitar features many vintage correct details including routing and top carve. The few details that make it uniquely mine are the Headstock shape, the cutaway horn shape and the big one for me, the headstock angle. I have reduced the angle to 10*. With longer grain runout the joint is much stronger and if the worst happens and the guitar takes a fall, the chances of the headstock breaking are greatly reduced.

Plugged in it really sounds the part. I have been fortunate to work on several late 50's guitars this year and this one fits right in nicely. There will be vids and more pics coming up soon.

Deed J

Reaction score
:cool: The Paragon of Dreams, sh'e's a beauty, why I don't live in Fairfield...

Bravo! :applause:

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you much.

Going to try and find time for one of my short cheesy vids tomorrow. Then it goes out Monday for the pro Demo Vid. Thats the one you'll all want to check out. :thumb: I'll be sure to post it here.

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that looks absolutely brilliant

Electric Funeral

Reaction score
That looks amazing man...exceptional board and top on that, love the color of the burst too.

silverkw

Reaction score
You are a true luthier, an artist. This is a piece of art.

Matty

Reaction score
Great work man. :thumb:
That looks fantastic, I'll be looking forward to the demo!

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a video from today at the New York Guitar Expo. This is studio great Nicky Moroch absolutely ripping it up on the Paragon '59. At 1:16 his buddy cranks the amp to 10!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qebtmhoREZo]DGN Custom Guitars - Paragon '59 played by Nicky Moroch - YouTube[/ame]

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score

Latest Threads